Importing 15+ Year Old 355 | FerrariChat

Importing 15+ Year Old 355

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Ferrari355Spider, Nov 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari355Spider

Jul 18, 2006
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I know this has probably been asked and answered somewhere before but I am wondering if I have to do ANYTHING other than paying 6.1% Duty and 13% Taxes when importing a 15+ year old 355?

2. HHogan

HHogan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2008
    Mississauga
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Make sure it's 15 yrs from production date.

Also a safety and e-test will be required when registering.

3. Ferrari355Spider

Jul 18, 2006
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Nice, pretty painless! Are most 95s produced in 94 and 96s produced in 95 or it will vary and must be checked individually?

4. HHogan

HHogan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2008
    Mississauga
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #4 HHogan, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
    You'll find it's pretty much case-by-case.

There was a 355 I was going to go buy for myself as a secondary car, saw even though it was a 95 it was built late '95. It would have forced compliance and so I didn't even bother with a PPI or anything.

5. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#5 Kds, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
    Daytime running lights and the appropriate provincial requirements (including taxes) and that is it.

FWIW you look at the federal door sticker for the production month/year and count 15 years forward from there. That is all that matters.

6. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I imported a 348 in October 2008. The only thing you have to do is fax the title to the US Border crossing at least 72 hours in advance, and you will need a bill of sale....unless things have changed in the last year, then it will be that simple....and of course, you are dead on with the taxes....6.1 duty and 13% for the PST/GST....

7. Ferrari355Spider

Jul 18, 2006
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Cool. Did you have to do daytime running lights?

8. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta

not if it's older than 15 years.

9. Ferrari355Spider

Jul 18, 2006
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Tony
  10. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

You probably have to do the DRL's to pass your provincial requirements. Required on all cars licensed in Canada after 1990 IIRC........it's no biggie anyways if you do or don't, just double check......

11. HHogan

HHogan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2008
    Mississauga
    Full Name:
    Bob
    No shop will check that when getting the safety done. Supposed to be done, do it if they catch on.

12. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

You don't live in Aberta........heh........the gubmint runs around checking up on and auditing the OOP inspections on an almost annual basis......so every shop is by the book or worse.

13. gixer69

gixer69 Rookie

Sep 5, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I was about to post the same question on the 15 yr rule... has anyone done this with a 355 from Japan? I hear they sell for quite cheap, are well maintained and are mostly all left hand drive cars.

I knew someone 4 yrs ago ( lost contact) that picked up a 512TR for about $34k US w/27,000 miles on it.

Any idea how the Japan import works?

14. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Even 15+ year old LHD Japanese cars are now verboten in Alberta unless they have the correct safety glass all around, correct lights, and a whole host of other expensive fixes applied. Some manufacturer's such as Porsche do not differentiate between their JDM and CAD cars in these areas, but many others do......

Be careful of your provinces reg's and triple check what is required in order to pass the OOP inspection.......

Many provinces are now cracking down on JDM vehicles (Quebec for example) and it maybe wise to reconsider the future price/marketability ramifications of trying to sell one if a law is passed banning them, even if your vehicle is grandfathered in.

Just sayin'..........

15. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    #15 JamesSimpson, Nov 24, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
    EVERY car i've ever seen from Japan has been beat to hell and back. The only positive I can see is that every 50,000km's they have to have their engines rebuilt which is obviously a good thing but other then that they were in overall poor condition however these were skylines gtr's and a rolls.
    I wouldn't buy from there cause it will be VERY VERY tough in my oppinion to verify the service history, ownership history, accidents etc.,
    cheap=headache unless everything can be verified and not verified by the seller or the sellers mechanic buddy.

16. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Correct, no daytime running lights required. It was very simple...fax in the title to the US Border crossing 72 hours (or more) in advance, keep a copy of the fax confirmation in case they misplace your fax, and you are good to go. Very important to have a copy of the fax confirmation in case you have to deal with a hard-ass on the US side that can refuse the export if they misplace the title that you fax. With that confirmation, they cannot refuse. Chances are they may still help you regardless, but better safe than sorry. Good luck.

17. HHogan

HHogan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2008
    Mississauga
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You can call them the day after you fax to confirm they processed it

18. Earthboundmisfit

Earthboundmisfit Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Steve
    And should.

They won't answer the phone. You leave a message with the details of the fax and they will call back in 5-10 minutes to confirm they have it. One less thing to worry about.

19. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    i did not know that....that is good to know, thanks.

20. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    you guy's are forgetting the most important part of all!

Be prepared to pay duty and g.s.t at the border as well.*

Or higher a customs broker who takes care of everything for you and you reimburse them later. For the $200-$300 it's well worth it.

*applicable on cars requiring duty/gst paid

21. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    James, I already mentioned that...check the last sentence:

22. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    oops sorry!

23. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    no worries my friend! :)

24. gixer69

gixer69 Rookie

Sep 5, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rick
    So is a 15yr old one is about 19.1% tax, whats the extra cost for one thats not 15yrs old?

25. Ferrari355Spider

Jul 18, 2006
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Tony
    It's the same really. Maybe less than $1000 in misc fees and $2-3,000 that you need to pay someone who knows how to avoid FoO when importing.