Info on weight of reproduction QV wheels: | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Info on weight of reproduction QV wheels:

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Birdman, Mar 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cray54

cray54 Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Ashfield, MA
    Full Name:
    Christopher Gray
    Birdman... What brand / type of tires are you running on your Superformance QV wheels? I would like to look up the weight of the tires from the manufacturer to find out how much the wheels weigh on their own.

Thanks - Chris

2. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Sorry to be a little off topic but...

does anyone know if removing the 2 pins that hold the disc to the hub/locate the wheel on the hub would have any adverse effects? I have been running my HRE's and they don't have a hole for these pins. You can see the pins in Birdmans post above.

Henry

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Christopher,
    Tires are Cooper Zeon 2XS.

Henry,
    I'm pretty sure that those pins are just to help line up the wheel when you bolt it on and they can be removed. Perhaps Verell or someone else can chime in here.

Birdman

4. cray54

cray54 Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Ashfield, MA
    Full Name:
    Christopher Gray
    I've been having a hard time finding weights of just wheels on the forum, so I've been attempting to figure them out and post them... (I contacted Superformance, and have not yet gotten an answer from them)

I checked on the weights of your Cooper Zeon 2XS:
    205x55R16 weight: 22 lbs
    225x50R16 weight: 26 lbs

According to those tire weights from Cooper, and Birdman's wheel/tire weight, the QV Superformance 5-Spoke Repro Wheels weigh:
    16"x7" QV Superformance (aluminum): 19 lbs
    16"x8" QV Superformance (aluminum): 22 lbs

Hopefully this information will help someone other than me down the road :).

-Chris

5. cray54

cray54 Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Ashfield, MA
    Full Name:
    Christopher Gray
    Superformance just got back to me, so I figured I'd post... they said their 5-Spoke Repro Wheels weigh:
    16"x7" QV Superformance (aluminum): 9.0 kg (19.8 lbs)
    16"x8" QV Superformance (aluminum): 9.4 kg (20.7 lbs)

-Chris

6. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Wow, pretty close to the bathroom scale minus theoretical tire weight numbers! Good work holmes!

Birdman

7. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    An update to this ancient thread. Since I am now in possession of both a set of Superformance wheels and real Ferrari QV wheels, here are the weights, with no tires: (These are on my bathroom scale, not that accurate, but good enough to compare...FYI, same bathroom scale as the rest of this thread so at least any inaccuracy is consistent).

Superformance reproductions:
    16x7 front: 19 pounds
    16x8 rear: 20 pounds

Ferrari QV wheels:
    16x7 front: 15 pounds
    16x8 rear: 16 pounds

So, the Superformance wheels are each about 4 pounds more than "real" QV wheels.

Birdman

8. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Wow, 4 pounds per wheel is quite a bit... due to the material change I guess?

9. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    * I did the same bathroom scale measurement when I was refinishing my wheels, a few years ago, mine said about 14 lbs for the fronts, so 14lb-15lb is pretty close. They are amazingly light weight, the aftermarket speedlines, that the PO put on the car, were at least twice the weight. It felt like I had power steering, when I put the original QV wheels back on. Huge difference.

10. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    The OEM QV wheels are a magnesium alloy. The Superformance replicas are aluminum. That's why they are much cheaper!

11. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    #36 CliffBeer, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
    Side note here - I think the OEM 14 inch Cromodoras are pretty close to the campys - the weight delta with the Superformance repro 16s was right on 3.5lbs each (front and rear) so perhaps the Cromodora are a half pound heavier or so. I think the Cromodoras are magnesium also but I'm not 100% sure.

Very happy with the 16 inch Superformance repros - the casting work looks good and paint finish is reasonably nice.

Anyone who can feel 3 or 4lbs at the wheel should consider a career in F1....

12. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Thanks for the information Birdman.

13. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I too had the vibration with the QV repo wheels, the centering rings didn’t help. I had an alignment when I put the QV repos on and the shop even charged me extra cause it was an Exotic car. Well they didn’t adjust the top ball joint mount to correct the caster on 1 side. Once that was corrected all was steady well into high speeds. Can you trust anyone’s work anymore?

14. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    For what it's worth - I've done an alignment on my 308, and the amount of work that goes into it is definitely more involved that the average modern car. (Soooo many damned shims.)

So I'm not surprised they charged more. Unfortunate that they didn't know how to adjust castor propertly, but glad you got it sorted out.