Smog | FerrariChat

Smog

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Dom, Nov 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I just got the registration form for my 1975 GT4. $375 - Ouch.

But, no mention of smog test at all. I assume this means that 1975 cars are exempt (which is what's been implied in the past).

Dom

2. Cannoli

Cannoli Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Norman
    Congratulations, you win! Your car is now Smog Certification exempt.

Cars 30 years and older are exempt from Smog Certification Requirements per California DMV rules ... http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm

YAHOO!

3. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    I'm sorry but how is he exempt? 30 years from 1975 is 2005, not 2003 or 2004. Oh well, maybe there is a roll-over grace period?

Btw, Dom, $375 is not so bad. Try $900.

B.

4. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002

Byron,

My understanding is that the CA DMV considers 29 year old model year cars as 30 year old cars. Their reasoning is that a 1975 car could have been built in 1974, so they just assume all 1975 cars were built in 1974 (Build date on my car is April 1975). Wierd, but I'm not complaining.

Dom

5. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    hmmm... I need my car to be smog exempt, too!! hehe... ;)

6. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Byron,

$900 to register your 348? Ouch!

I guess I need to start saving for my regz.

-n

7. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    $375 !!!, and I thought that at $50 I was getting ripped off. No wonder there was (is) a taxpayer revolt in CA.

8. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    2% of the vehicle's value every year. Oh yeah! Give it to us! We love it rough!

Stinkin' vehicle Nazis.

Sunny

9. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Dom,

You just need to keep it for awhile my 1975 gt4 is $155 with the increase. I already paid my other two with the increases. If the govenator lied about rolling them back, (pete wilson one of his new advisors was actually the author of the bill that decreased and increased the fees when he was govenor) I was start my own recall.
    :) I wonder if we will get rebates on ones we already paid????

Rob
    "Having a Ferrari means never having to say your sorry."

10. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Dom, congradulations! My tags are due in March, I also own a 75 GT4 in San Diego. I was thinking that I had to wait until Jan 02, 2004 to register mine (currently non-op), but it looks to me that I don't have to. Yes, in 2004, 75's are exempt! Never thought I would see the day when this would happen! My build date is Feb 1975.

11. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Rebates will be issued early next year.

If your registration is currently due, subtract 66% of the VLF ONLY fee due and add in the rest of the fees for the total.

Alternately, you can call the DMV and they will give you the total figure due.

Since my registration was sent to never-never land, I had to call the DMV anyway to find out when it was due. This is what they told me over the phone.

My daily driver dropped from $457 to $202. Thanks, Ahh-nold.

Edit: the calculator is online mow, http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vlf_cal/vlf_cal.htm

12. lou staller

lou staller Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    I register about 4,000 cars a year in California! You can't imagine what the registration fee increase did to my budget! Luckily it's not my $$. I work for Honda and manage the Company Vehicle Administration Department. So all the manager cars, rep cars, show cars, test cars etc have to be licensed. As of a few days ago the old rates went into effect again. It's going to save my bacon when I have to discuss budget in a few weeks. So Dom, call the DMV and get the new,old rate, pay it and run!

13. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Talk about raising the dead....decided NOT to start another thread.

Ok, just got my 2010 Registration Renewal notice for the 456. Last year it was about $440 and required a SMOG or more correctly last years LICENSE FEE = $339

This year only thing that changed for this year, is the LICENSE FEE, for an increase of 55% or $185 over last year.

Total bill of $630

I wasn't aware of CA hiking the backdoor tax again on fees. Anyone else know of this increase, guess I was out of the loop.

14. Grumpy B

Grumpy B Karting

May 31, 2005
    South Bay
    Full Name:
    Don
    Isn't Tax-ifornia Great? I actually found someone arguing that we should raise taxes further. I was stunned when he thought that more business and people would not move away. And on top of that he thinks that it would not further erode the tax base.

15. SPDADCT

SPDADCT Karting

Oct 28, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph

Did you have to do a smog check last year by any chance?

16. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Wow, talk about an old post. 2003...

No, I have not had to smog my car since its purchase. I've had the car now almost 8 years.

Dom

17. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    sort of a hijack on thread, but YES, CA doesn't get it on taxes: Giving bus a break on taxes pays for much more than it takes in for the breaks.

Not that I care much either, but there is sort of a 'brain' drain on Schools too.

CTDrain.

18. Finance1Jose

Finance1Jose Rookie
    BANNED

Oct 3, 2009
    (DST. 3421) ? :).

I remember some of your peoples while at Rover was over in the work shop driving a couple of the test cars and ran a couple of red light cameras and the awesome thing about the MFG and DST plates, they have those 1a , 3a , c3 little small letters on the right side of the plate that could not identify who was driving what car. ;).

19. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    I was just reading that DMV link ... thinking about developing an electric conversion kit for 308's ... be smog exempt then LOL.

I wonder if you have to go back for inspections once you get signed off?

cheers