Question from a new F1 fan: what's with the drama? | FerrariChat

Question from a new F1 fan: what's with the drama?

Discussion in 'F1' started by zippyslug31, Dec 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Finally gave F1 a try this year and I think I'm hooked; very entertaining races and far better than most automotive races. I can't wait until next year!

However, a couple of things I find distracting and silly regarding the world of F1 is the off-track drama.
    From my newbie perspective, it seems there are more egos, talk of cheating, and public airing of dirty laundry than I've seen in ANY other professional sport. Most pro athletes are thoughtful with their comments about their peers. Not so with F1 and drivers/owners aren't shy about pointing the finger in any direction ("the car isn't any good", "that other driver is the problem", "the rules are bad", etc). Doing some quick research this seems to be a reoccurring theme throughout its history.
    Is this comparable to other auto racing? The way the BBC presents it? Perhaps simply a cultural difference between the US and Europe???

Also it seems that there is so little loyalty from the drivers to any one team? If you look back on the career of most drivers it looks like they change teams more than they change their socks. Changing teams is nothing new to professional sports, but the level in F1 appears to be far greater.

Thoughts?

2. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #2 kraftwerk, Dec 2, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
    IMO MaXXX Mosley and his kangaroo court of loyal muppets have been 95% of the problem that with Bernie and his foot in mouth moments. All damaging to the credibility of the sport, is it any wonder sponsers and teams are jumping ship.

Hopefully we are on to better things, glass half full and all that. I don't mind a bit of the soap opera at least some it seems real, for a laugh.

3. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    The off-track drama is half of the fun, although it really was a bit much this year. Changing teams very often is actually common, and nothing that's frowned upon.

4. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

The last 2 or 3 years has had the most amount of off track drama F1 has ever seen ! In the past there has always been the odd event that has made the press, but recently its been out of control.

Complete loyalty to a team is not so common in F1. Drivers, technicians and mechanics are always shuffling around in search of there best chance of success.

5. Cornbread

Cornbread Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2009
    Bham/Maple Valley WA
    I disagree. There at least as much if not more drama in the early 80's and during JM Balesteres reign as well.

This is nothing new for F1.

6. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

Really? Remind me, as I don't recall anything from that time that was on the same scale as the Mclaren /Ferrari Spy-gate or Max Mosley being filmed With Five Hookers or Nelson Piquet -crash gate, to name a few!

7. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    Don't forget that drama sells newspapers. Or internet advertising as the case may be now a days. It seems like Bild is a sports version of the National Enquirer. Sensationalism is their bread and butter. And worse is that they are quoted all the time here.

8. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    This has always been a part of the sport as well.

9. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    I've been watching since the mid-late 90's, missing a couple seasons here and there due to TV issues. The last few years do seem to be a bit more crazy than usual, but it's possibly due to the information that's much easier to obtain through different media sources. On a personal side note, I don't remember specifics very well past the last few years anyway. :D

10. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    I think there is just as much politics and drama in any sport. I race at a slot-car club and the arguments there about rules and regulations easily match anything in F1. My daughter competes in gymnastics and there are constant battles between the various parents about whether a judge gave someone's child a better or worse mark than they deserved or if someone has cheated. In the UK we have Premier League Football (you call it soccer) and I can't recall a day going by without someone complaining about a referee's decision or the governing body. In soccer the players have turned 'doing a Rosberg' into an art. They will fall over when another player gets too close and writh around in agony in the hope of getting a penalty. They will then leap up and run around as soon as the decision has been made. F1 is just the same. The arguments in F1 are the same as those in GP2, Formula Ford, or when me and my friends go karting. The only difference between a top-flight sport and some mates playing together is the amount of money at stake.
    I think 2009 probably had a little more off-track action than most other years, but it also had some great on-track action too. Probably a great year to get interested in F1!

11. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    #11 mousecatcher, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
    entertaining only because of the absolute performance of the cars. i would venture to say that most lesser series are quite a bit more competitive and thus entertaining. to name but a few, BTCC, DTM and koni challenge. now of course these 3 series are all equalized in order to be competitive (read: entertaining) but hey, it is a good formula. even with the new 2009 F1 regulations too much of the racing is a procession. i really do hate to say it, but nascar has a good formula.

ah, you are not one of the masses then.

to this i must say, what planet do you live on?

12. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Welcome to Bernie's 3-ring circus!! :D

I would hate to see the sport "Americanized" in the vein of NASCAR, the most sold out whoring sport I've ever seen. Instead of mindless public corporate worship, in F1 we get trash talk and rumors, which are far more entertaining. I would probably lose interest in the sport if everyone was nice. :eek:

13. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Max and Bernie modeled F-1 after WWF.

14. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Ahhh, and there it is in a nutshell; very well put!
    This is pretty much why I started this thread.
    I don't watch the WWF because there are other, better-acted television shows on.

For the GPs that I've watched, I do really enjoy the hour-long spinup before the race since I get more background on the whole scene (helps since I'm still learning who's-who). Maybe next year I will just turn it on when the lights go out so I can enjoy the racing and not get dragged down into the muck.

15. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Clearly not on the same rock that you live on.
    I didn't say that other sports didn't have controversy, but come on!
    I primarily watch major US sports; name one that contains more melodrama than F1.
    Go ahead, I'll wait.....

16. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    golf. at the moment.

17. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Try this for starters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_San_Marino_Grand_Prix

Or you could look up the "WATER-COOLING SCANDAL, 1982" involving williams and Brabham and detachable water tanks to make the car lighter during races.

Or there's "TYRRELL THROWN OUT OF CHAMPIONSHIP, 1984" for topping up a 3.3 gallon water tank at the end of races with water and lead shot.

At the time these incidents were just as shocking as spygate, crashgate or Mosely. It's all a matter of perception.

Look at TV these days. There are programs from My youth in the '70s that were deemed far too violent and shocking to be seen before at least 9.00pm (The Sweeney was one, for all My fellow brits.)
    Now it's being shown at 3.00pm in the afternoon!.

Another example:

Again in the '70s and '80s the film "The Omega Man" with Charlton Heston would never have been shown before 10.30pm. It was deemed too frightening.
    This weekend its on one of the Uk's 5 main TV channels (channel 5) at 5.05pm!, that's the family movie slot as far as I'm concerned and "The Omega Man" is no family movie!.