360 Driver's seatbelt won't retract. | FerrariChat

360 Driver's seatbelt won't retract.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Uomo360F1, Dec 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Uomo360F1

Uomo360F1 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2007
    Has anyone encountered the same problem? Once strapped in, it locks, but when reaching forward or unbuckling, it simply won't retract. Any good aftermarket replacement?

2. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    This is a safety related item. You should check with your dealer as this should be fixed for free. I am not sure if there is a number of years limit. I had bad retractor in another brand of car that was about six years old and it was fixed for free.

Good Luck!!!

3. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #3 FerrariDublin, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
    I had a bit of a similar issue whereby the belt didn't retract fully when I took it off.

I found the problem was that the trim on the side of the car (which has to be removed in order to open the engine bay or get to the seat belt reel) hadn't been put back on properly. Once I sorted that the belt retracted properly again.

Your problem sounds like it's not just failing to retract the last 20% though? Certainly if you find that if you lean forward and the belt doest retract and tighten when you sit back I too would regard that as pretty dangerous and worth getting seen to.

You could try removing that side trim and see if it improves matters for you and while doing that you'll be able to see if anything else is snagging. If no joy there I think I'd err on the side of safety and replace the belt.

The side trim is held in place with plastic "pop-on" fasteners. You've just got to pull/yank it off as gently as possible.

Best of luck!

4. Uomo360F1

Uomo360F1 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2007
    Yes, the seat belt does not retract and stays loose even when leaning forward.
    It has completely failed.

5. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Sounds like you need a new belt so. You could probably self-install.....

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=278063

A little research on your part will likely produce an alternative from a Fiat or Lancia or the likes at half the price though!