Yellow Nylocks - Newco sells them for $7 each, other sources? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Yellow Nylocks - Newco sells them for $7 each, other sources?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by synchro, Feb 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Cornelis,
    I absolutely agree with safety and functionality being first objective. but just because a car is restored to Concourse level quality doesn't mean it's not drivable/usable (although, to my bewilderment too, many owners deem them so). In many cases my restorations have been known to bring home top honors/hardware, yet my first and foremost objective is always the fact that I'm restoring CARS and before final delivery I do put them seriously through their paces, so that I can be confident in their SAFETY/RELIABILITY and I like to make sure that ALL of it's components and/or even possible rare options are working properly, may they be '50's 16 2/3 rpm record player, cruise control, automatically dimming head lights or rear view mirror, or '57 viscosity fan clutch which also was designed to be replaced and definitely not "repaired/restored", but which I've successfully been able make "as good as new" (if not better by using more developed materials and components), etc...(and yes I know, these are not necessarily Ferrari options, but merely to illustrate a point).
    And as I wrote before, nylock and many, many more such exercises were (and probably still will be) conducted just to see that it can be done and if for no other reason than to satisfy my own OCD tendencies.

Ciao,
    T.

2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I got my nuts from Hein today, very helpful with good English and speedy service. He takes credit cards to so payment was easy. I bought 60 nuts total cost inc. post 113 euro about 165 USD so around $2.75 each plus postage.
    Grant

3. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I've always been under the impression that no one stocks modern nuts which appear original in size and shape. Either they are taller/shorter, or are cut for a different size wrench.

Besides being the right color nylon, how do the Newco and Hein nuts compare when put next to the originals? Are they identical?

4. maximilian.szwaj

Nov 10, 2003
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Maximilian Szwaj
    Nut size is nut size, i.e. if it is 12mm X 1.5 or 12 X 1.25, it will fit the 12mm size wrench. The height of the new nut is roughly the same as the original one, the only difference to my eye is that the old original one look slightly more angular / 'sharper'. The steel 'ring' on the top that encapsulates the nylon bit looks also thinner, not as round and fat like on the new one.
    Max.

5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Hate to sound like a nit-pick, but technically 12mm x 1.5 (or 1.75) nut is referring to thread sizing and usually fits 19 mm wrench (or socket). Other than that, I agree with Maxs assessment appearance of these new nuts, which brings us back to basics, why would anyone be concerned about the color of the nylon insert when simultaneously overlooking "incorrect" appearance of the nut itself, which should be easier to detect (by knowledgeable judges) when glancing to engine-bay or under-carriage during concourse judging ? Go figure ?!?
    Timo

6. maximilian.szwaj

Nov 10, 2003
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Maximilian Szwaj
    #81 maximilian.szwaj, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
    Timo, my mistake and your nit-pick is right. I think everyone or most of us focus only on the yellow nylon insert - "yellow, must be Ferrari"
    Max.

P.S. where did you see 1.75 size thread? quite coarse for a 12mm nut as stated above ;)

7. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Timo
    it's simple.
    When doing a full rebuild you need new nuts, you cannot get the original nuts, or at least not from Ferrari UK so you get the next best thing. The differences Max is describing are tiny so as far as i am concerned they are the best choice from whats available.
    Grant

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #83 TTR, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
    In one of my Tap-and-Die Sets. Yes, they (tap and die) do appear rather coarse, especially for "F" standards and maybe that's why they look like I've never used them ?
    Can't even say I've ever seen such thread on nuts or bolts, but at least I have tools to make 'em if need arises ;)
    Timo

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I attended the FCA Concours at Chateau Julien during the Monterey weekend and T. Rutlands had a booth there. I spotted M12 and M10 yellow Nylocks and they stated that they had several thousand produced and would cost around USD$2.00 each.