blinker fluid question...PLEASE HELP! | FerrariChat

blinker fluid question...PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Robz328, Dec 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    I need some help from the more experienced FChatters here...

I had just completed greasing my brake rotors to mitigate rust after cleaning (FYI, I used high temp caliper grease because it's high temp and the calipers were close by for convenience). While I was validating the braking distance per the Aviation Manual (Edition VII: I verified braking distance from 85kph to zero at 932m...well within the 840-1220m spec--most runways are >1500m anyway, so, plenty margin for safe operation; recall, however, that this spec limit band applies only if the air in the tires was changed within the last 5500km), I noticed that my blinker rate was too slow. So, I did a search on FC, on 'blinker' and discovered, from threads posted in 2005, that I needed to check/fill my blinker fluid reservoir. So, I went to the automotive section at WAL-MART and found three types of blinker fluid: ASE 2 DOT 7, a synthetic equivalent, and one for high mileage use. Since my car had > 50k on it, I chose the high mileage version (only $3.97 for a 2oz bottle...I got three). After completing a proper drain and fill per the owner's manual, I checked the operation and the blink rate went even slower than previously (i.e., further out-of-spec).

My questions are these: first, did I choose the right type of blinker fluid (perhaps there is a Ferrari-specific version), and; second: do the blinker fluids currently marketed today incorporate slip-reducing additives that may cause a drag on blinking rate? If so, would someone point me to a vendor who carries the earlier mixture.

Sincerely,
    a Ferrari novice.

2. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Have you changed your stalk belt every 2.7 years and rotate your bulbs? If not, blinker interference can cause catastrophic failure. Mod Mark is the board expert on oiling rotors and blinker fluid, so maybe a quick PM, or cross post in Tech?

3. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    You do realize, of course, that you should have ensured the fluid is 'trail-rated', and applicable to points south of the Mason-Dixon line....right?

In addition to the blinker fluid, and you may have missed this in the earlier thread, if you don't use the appropriate wire lubricant, new fluid can actually have a detrimental effect on the blink speed (abbreviated as "BS")...

It may be time, also, to add the Electron Exciter magnets....I think Daniel has them in stock. That should provide a 17% to 21% increase in 'BS".

Note: THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO FERRARIS WITH 6-volt or 24-volt systems. It MAY apply the the 18-volt systems if originally made strictly for export to Argentina.

Mike in Kuwait

4. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Wow, I've only had mine for a few months and missed that service. I wonder if it's been done. I was under the impression that my blinkers operated on smoke and as long as it didn't come out they were fine. My blinkers are working fine and there is no mention in the service records of refilling the smoke or changing the fluid, should I be worried, and which one is it, I have an 87 Mondial 3.2, Cabrio if it makes a difference.

5. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    My recollection is that Mondial 3.2 vehicles did utilize the earlier BOSCH smoke-embedded blinker circuits. The vintage embedded-smoke design was incorporated as an indicator of circuit health prior to the fluid-based system design, which was incorporated after realizing that the embedded-smoke cause a significant reduction in bulb illumination performance.

FYI, my rotors are clean and shiny and operate within the specs described; so, no issues with the rotors for me. With regard to my wires, I replaced all my wires with the lifetime-self-lubricated Energon variety marketed in Singapore. These work great! However, they are no longer called Energon in the US, due to a trademark settlement with the Hasbro corporation.

6. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Rob,

Sounds like you're right on top of things...those self-lubricating wires are amazing!

oh, you DID paint the inside of your rims with the brake dust resistant paint? Don't be fooled by those aftermarket pseudo-resistant coatings...make sure you get the original. I think it's called "Dust Off" and is NOT available at your local Wal-Mart.

I know the proper oiling of the discs will significantly decrease pad degradation, and the subsequent dust emanations... but as I understand it, studies show significant tire and wheel balance problems with dust build-up.

Just askin'

Mike in Kuwait

7. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill

Thanks Mike.
    I feel real good about this maintenance item: I haven't had to change brake pads since '07! Can't really sense a balance problem, especially since filling the tires with fresh air from Italy.

Also, you are quite right about the DUST-OFF! (registered trademark of FIAT America) rim coatings: Ferrari developed the stuff from mil-spec helicopter materials in the early 90's in Turin. Any (and I mean ANY) aftermarket replacement causes severe rim-pitting problems and eventually interferes with the radio aerial lifting motor.

8. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    #8 Robz328, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
    BTW, haven't checked the stalk belt.
    Can you please help. I'm desperate to go driving and I don't want my blinkers to be interfered with (I did rotate bulbs as recommended. Thanks).
    Thanks

PS. is that a DAYCO product?

9. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA

you do realize that high temp is only for CF brakes, and ONLY after the Fallopian tubes have been irrigated?

...novice.

:D

10. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #10 Sfumato, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Need to do calipers too
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    #11 Steve King, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2016
    I would pay close attention to the blinker circuit. Especially the wires. I had an earlier problem with my XK-E where as the smoke leaked out and I almost lost the whole car. While you are at Walmart you might want to pick up a smoke detector and install it under the passenger seat. I can't recall if the blinkers worked faster or slower when the smoke leaked out. Good luck and make sure that you don't drive with a stuffy nose.

12. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I also like the "tail" paint. Got to get me some of that so I can go out and paint a little tail!! Red, no less!!

13. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    #13 Robz328, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2016
    I verified this: smoke-embedded blinkers blink much slower if the smoke has been released.

14. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Ferrari hasn't always been the industry leader, such as being slow to adopt disc brakes in the '50s. But now, Ferrari has built a car that allows the owner to properly flush, refill & bleed the blinker fluid system without having a PhD in fluid dynamics. I would have never considered attempting this scheduled maintenance myself for my 355.

Bravo Ferrari!! Bravo!

KevFla

15. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    you were correct in using the high mileage fluid. i unwisely used the synthetic in my 308 and i created a severe leak. i had to replace all the seals, not cheap.

16. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
  17. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    That site is funny as hell!!!

I'm upgrading my engine with the Radiator insulator...a guaranteeeed doubling of HP!!!

BTW, greasing my rotors was sufficient to prevent my having to purchase the Cross Drilled Brake lines. I can wait a couple of years until then.

18. boiseferrari

boiseferrari Formula 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Boise, Id.
    Full Name:
    Kriss
    #18 boiseferrari, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
    So I talked to the service manager at Ferrari of Boise and she said that if you use "non-factory" blinker fluid that failure is going to happen with in 1800 miles. She said that since I am in the "common" car business that I can recieve a vendor discount. If you need blinker fluid the price from me is $867.52 per 2oz bottle ($1299.99 retail) rotor grease is $677.52 ($949.99 retail) and the self lubricating brake lines are $2742.52 ($3449.99 retail) PM me with your orders!

****All prices plus S&H of $599,458 per ITEM

**********PLUS S&H of $396,432 per item.

19. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    #19 kerrari, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Perhaps this might help... I know it's not OEM and is labelled for "Wiring Harness" but maybe one of the experts here can advise if it can be modified in some way for your blinkers?
    Regards,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    wow, this is to much! I can't take any more, I think I'll go shovel my driveway before it snows so I don't have to freeze my a** off later.

21. boiseferrari

boiseferrari Formula 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Boise, Id.
    Full Name:
    Kriss
    My discount on muffler bearings not that good but I get a really huge break on F1 Trans whatchuma pumps. So good you'll have to PM for the price because Luca would bust my balls for offering this kind of price!!!!

22. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    If I get 2 sets of the brake lines, do you think they might throw in the porcupine seat covers!!! I'm sitting here waiting for your answer so I can post back with my order and credit card number.

23. boiseferrari

boiseferrari Formula 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Boise, Id.
    Full Name:
    Kriss
    I will throw in the seat covers but you must pay seperate S&H. Same deal for all f-chat members. I know there are 2 S&H quotes but both must be paid. Trying to keep my shipping department running well.

24. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Hey, pal - you've gotta be subscribed to do that. But, for what it's worth, is there a group buy available for refill size jars of Lucas smoke?

25. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    When replacing blinker fluid, one must re-code the blinker fluid module. This requires the use of the SD3 with the updated software # 35713465783.75-3. If you don't re-code with the updated number, you will have a failure of the wheel bolt torque specification module, which with cause a major conflict withe ECU controller, and you will have a communication error with the "parked in front of starbucks" ECU controller. This will cause your hair piece to malfunction and turn pink, or blue depending on the error code..

Bottom line...The blinker fluid is Ferrari specific. Some people say the BMW stuff will work..it doesn't..different formulation. I suspect it is Subaru fluid, but I'm not sure as of yet.

Will update next week as I have one coming in for a top up..and snow tires.