Proof the Testarossa Isn't a Supercar | FerrariChat

Proof the Testarossa Isn't a Supercar

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by cryorunner, Dec 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cryorunner

cryorunner Karting

Aug 11, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    James
    #1 cryorunner, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Found this poster entitled "Ferrari Super Cars, Factory Authorized Ferrari Print Artist: Steve Anderson / Hand Signed" on E-Bay. So, well, I guess that it must be true now and we can all stop arguing . I guess I don't own a supercar...

I just don't get it, did these people not live through the '80s? Or is it just that stupid average Joes like me, lusting after the Testarossa and Countach, didn't know enough to have refined taste in "real" exotics?

(Sorry for making another "Is it a supercar?" thread)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I wouldn't consider the TR/512TR/M a super car at all.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    ... it was the Boxer versus Countach that most mag's tested, etc., not TR.

I did have a poster of a TR though :).
    Pete

4. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Testarossa was never a supercar... exotic yes, supercar no!

5. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo

Bull.... la testarossa is a supercar.

6. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    the testarossa and the countach changed the supercar league forever.

the testarossa looks better than any new ferrari.
    and the countach looks better than any new lamborghini.

MA VFC if u think its not a supercar.

7. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    the F40 is a 308 on steroids.

8. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    who the F... is steve anderson.
    he is an idiot

9. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    they are crap drawings

10. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    From a list compiled at this link. http://wikicars.org/en/List_of_supercars

1980s Supercars
    Ferrari 288 GTO
    Ferrari Testarossa[4]
    Isdera Imperator 108i
    Porsche 959
    Ferrari F40
    Lamborghini Countach (25th Anniversary)

11. spazgaz

spazgaz Karting

Aug 1, 2007
    Melbourne
    #11 spazgaz, Dec 17, 2009
  12. mwct

mwct Karting

Oct 17, 2008
    Whoever wrote that article is disputing that the FXX is a supercar.

13. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

I think the poster refers to Ferrari limited production factory "super cars".....not production cars.

I have said this before, and I'll say it again, the Testarossa was "THE" super car of the 80's. It was on every car mag cover and gained star status on Miami Vice. The design influence ( linear look) showed up on the 959 to the anniversary Countach.

I was there......it was the car to lust after.

Funny, when I meet chicks, I tell them my TR was the Miami Vice car....their response....Miami what?

....what do 18 -24 year old chicks know anyway. :D

....but they sure are hot !

My Testarossa has definitely aged better than the girls I knew of the era.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

14. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Careful Shamile - because I think that Martin Milner and George Maharis drove a supercar in their television series.

....what do 40-something owners of Testarossas know, anyway?

Jim S.

15. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    No way, the Testarossa isn't a supercar at all... not even a little bit...

16. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Martin Milner and George Maharis.....?

Who are they....not some Cardashians crap?

Carsleuth,

You have to look at the context of the era. The TR was a production car but in the 80's you didn't have the competing extreme performance levels of todays cars.

Back then, anything coming out of Ferrari or Lamborghini was big news. Today, the bar has been raised considerbly. Does anyone outside the Ferrari world know what a F430 is?

Why would a simple 308 on Magnum become such a television icon? Back then, that was THE definition of Exotic!....not supercar. When the TR came out, it's performance level of a standard production car was simply above anything else.....hence supercar.

R & T and C&D always referred to the TR as a supercar.....back in it's era.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

17. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Gosh how we forget the era in which the phrase was coined! Okay...there is the emotional view of what a supercar is, and there is the factual view. Don't forget, when the TR was introduced to the world, it was a "do all" exotic car, meaning it would go fast, stop quick, and be able to cruise with the best of 'em. So with a flat-12 4.9 motor making 380hp or 390hp..depending on what your reading at the time, it was indeed the top of the heap. PLEASE keep in mind that the Corvette of the era with a 5.7 liter tuned port V8 motor only made 245hp. Okay...that is for starters. Now...drive a Vette from that era over a bump at an angle and hear all the squeeks....(like 2 pieces of foam board rubbing together)....and drive a TR over that same bump...and you hear nothing! Really gang....when all the facts are taken in perspective for the time, the Testarossa was indeed a supercar...if not THE supercar of the era. I've owned many cars from those good old days, including Vettes, and the TR would beat the crap out of them.....though the Countach would give it a very good fight. The TR was a GT car, not a true sportscar...and yet it held it's own very well despite it's weight. Compare the track times around Fiorano between the 288GTO and the TR and you will see that they are within a second of each other - VERY close!

I can't wait till the day comes when the TR gets the respect it is due. It is a very usable, everyday performance car with tremendous abilities considering the comfort levels it offers. That is why I've sacraficed a lot to get me my 3rd one....coming soon! On a recent club drive, I was doing some spirited driving with some Acura NSX's behind me. Now there is no disputing the ability of the NSX, it is a great handler. Well here I was driving my '89 TR followed by a 95 NSX....the NSX has much newer technology. But on a few good sections of road I really pushed the car hard and pulled a lot distance on the Asian supercars. After we stopped.....the NSX driver remarked that he was shocked that I could pull away from him like I did...he said he gave it all he had and could only watch as my tail end faded into the distance.

So let's give a little due respect for the Testarossa.....Ferrari's greatest Grand Touring Car. No other Ferrari can generate the performance, and road presence, that the Testarossa does. After 20 years it is still a force to be reckoned with in my opinion.

Okay....I'm getting off my soapboxnow...

18. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    For the times, the TR was a supercar, if not "the" supercar to have. It eclipsed the GTO as an 80s era Ferrari icon. Kids had the TR (and Countach) on their walls, not the GTO.

19. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Bingo!

....give that man a tall thin blonde !

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

20. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    #20 jselevan, Dec 19, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
    Shamile - 1960 to 1964 - two guys driving across the country on Route 66 finding gals and getting in trouble. Drove a Corvette....a real supercar of its day. (First series - 1954-1962). I was in high school and watched the show every week. (11th grade...the best three years of my life!!)

Your comment about the 80s and "Funny, when I meet chicks, I tell them my TR was the Miami Vice car....their response....Miami what? ....what do 18 -24 year old chicks know anyway."

Be careful about disparaging the young for nothing other than being young. You didn't know about the show Route 66 !

Jim S.

21. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Quote from another link:http://www.topspeed.com/cars/ferrari/1984-1991-ferrari-testarossa-ar29391.html

The Ferrari Testarossa leaped to center stage of the automotive world in 1984 and remained there for 11 years as the world’s fastest regular production car. It was the definition of ’supercar’ in its era, the innovative benchmark against which all contemporary sports cars were measured.

22. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    yes that is 100% correct

23. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #23 Shamile, Dec 20, 2009
    Dear Ferraristi,

I think you misunderstood me, I was more like making fun of myself. I'm so into Miami Vice, it's style, fashion and sounds like it was yesterday. .....yet that time has past and we all get older before we know it.

So, while I chase after 18-24 year olds, I'm really the one "out of it"....not them.

But hey.....I drive a Lambo, so I still get some action. :D

"ohhh....is that a Lambo"?

Um....yeah, would you like to sit in it?

"really....do you mind"

Here, let me help you in....watch your skirt

(adjustment adjustment)

"wow....sweet....what do you do"?

Take it from there guys ! :D

These chicks wern't even born when Miami Vice was on.....but I luv them anyways. :D

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Shamile - the first thing you have to learn is not to take me seriously. I, too, was making fun of myself. There aren't many of us old enough to remember Martin Milner and George Maharis. The music was great, Theme from Route 66, by Nelson Riddle. When I first walked into a Tower Records in 1978 in San Diego after moving to California I asked the teenager behind the counter if he had the original 45 (rpm) single from Route 66. He came back with The Stones, Route 66. No, I said, by Nelson Riddle. He replied, "Nelson who?"

Just goes to show you. Both the young and the wise can be so innocent. Asked the same question today I would reply, "Beyonce who?"

Jim S.

25. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

....no worries. :)

Com'on js, let's jump in my Testarossa supercar and go pick up some cheerleaders. Can't pick up hot chicks without a supercar.

You can tell them about route 66 and I'll tell them about the magic of a white linen suit. :D

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !