355 Rear Bumper Removal | FerrariChat

355 Rear Bumper Removal

Discussion in '348/355' started by junglistluder, Dec 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    Can anyone give me some pointers to remove the rear bumper off my 355? Not really sure where to start. Thanks!

2. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #2 UConn Husky, Dec 20, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
    Nothing technically challenging, just time consuming. It's held on by 8 bolts, two on each 'end' in the wheel well area and 2 sets of two at the back of the car. You can reach those from the bottom if I recall...but one is VERY tough on the F1...no room to turn the wrench.

Also need to remove (or loosen) the aero undertrays that connect to the bumper under the car.

3. sambomydog

sambomydog Guest

May 23, 2009
    Remove the air boxes and the big heat shield.
    If you dont have a lift, jack one side of the car up approx 3-4 inches at the rear. You can leave the wheels on.
    On the jacked up side you will see a black short panel at the rear of the wheel arch. This panel is held on by 5 X head screws, undo the 3 on the top edge of the panel, also the single screw on the top of panel just behind the wheel its self. With the wheel on you will need a snub nosed screw driver. You can leave the lower single screw in the bottom and simply pull the panel away from the arch to the outside of the wheel arch (bumper side). This panel is quite flexible.
    Behind this panel you will see two 13mm nuts and a single rectangle plate sandwiched between. Undo these two nuts and take them and the washer out. These 13mm nuts hold the out side edge of the bumper, so the bumper will not go anywhere when nuts are removed.
    Lower the jack and repeat on the other side.
    Under the rear of the bumper undo the 4 10mm bolts that hols the rear diffuser to the bumper. There are a pair on each. While under there disconnect the number plate light connector.
    Now working from inside the engine bay. There are a pair of 17mm nuts along with large washers on each side of the rear of the bumper (there are 4 in total). These nuts attach the bumper through the chassis. Undo these nuts, but maybe leaving the top nuts on by a few threads until you are ready to pull the bumper away.
    When ready compleatly remove the nuts and pull the bumper away from the car taking care not to scratch the bugger:)

Homeboz likes this.
  4. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    aww man, you guys are the best! thank you both! :)

5. mad dog

mad dog Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    suffolk uk
    Full Name:
    andrew

Thought I couldn't add anything to this, except to say that due to restricted movement around the large nuts i found it much easier and quicker to remove using an air impact wrench that fits in there a treat.

6. sambomydog

sambomydog Guest

May 23, 2009
    Good tip there :)
    I was going to add more, but i am not subscribed so no one would take me seriously LOL!!!:D

7. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If you're working on a Ferrari, we take you seriously no matter what.... :)