A question about keeping Scotch | FerrariChat

A question about keeping Scotch

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by DMC308, Dec 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    I received a bottle of Glenbrothers single malt/Speyside today and from what I understand they are pretty expensive bottles of scotch. I googled a botttle that was distilled and bottled the same years as the one I have, and found one bottle for $370...I then carefully scooped up my jaw from the floor.

My problem is I don't like Scotch so much but would like to know how to store it? Is something like this able to go in the icebox? I'm clueless..

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I'll be the first to say it:

Send it to me for safe keeping.

:)

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I don't think refrigeration is required, but drinking it over time or regifting it is the thing to do...

It's an acquired taste certainly but try a few glasses over ice before you condemn it.....:rolleyes:

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Crystal decanter, but I think there's a lead absorption warning on the glass, have you heard that one, Dean??

5. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    May as well stop that bottle here in flyover land for some quality assurance tests before moving on to its final destination. I'd hate for Uro to get some inferior product.

6. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Never heard that but I'm sure it would be worth it....

Snake, you always have my back!

7. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    :eek: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! For pity's sake, don't put it in a freezer!! :(

Put it in a dry cupboard out of direct sunlight. Preferably away from the stove/oven and any radiators.

All the best,
    Andrew.

8. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Seriously, do whiskey corks get dry like wine corks? Should it be stored on it's side?

9. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    Ha Ha thanks for the advice fellas.
    I would be happy to share it or re-gift it even, but my dad brought it over today with his old police badge so its kind of a special bottle to me.

I'll put it in a pantry cupboard right away.

Thanks again. :)

Dale

10. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Good point. I don't know the answer to that one.

Just thinking aloud... I always store my whisky bottle standing upright, it generally lasts 8-9 months, and I haven't had a problem with dry corks yet. Perhaps due to it having a stronger alcoholic content than wine, there may be greater evaporation within the bottle - thus keeping the cork moist?

All the best,
    Andrew.

11. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm sure you'll come around to the whisky way of drinking, in time. ;) Having lived in Scotland for a few years now, here are two helpful notes on serving I've picked up, for when you do drink it...

Never serve single malt with ice - it will kill the flavour, especially if it's an unchillfiltered bottle (e.g. Edradour). It's not Gentleman Jack, so serve at room temperature - this is very important. ;)

Sometimes a few small drops of mineral/filter water can 'release' the flavour. In terms of quantity, you'll be adding the smallest splash you can - or ideally add water drop by drop with a pipette.​

The first seems obvious, but even in Scotland you see people adding ice to malt. As for that second tip, I was introduced to it on whisky tours I took when I first moved to Scotland. I've tried back-to-back taste tests at four distilleries now to try to spot the 'diluted' glass as the one with the water drops in it and, if you judge it on flavour intensity, you'll get it wrong almost every time. It's a great little tip, and not an obvious one - at least to me it wasn't obvious.

Whiskies can be a very personal thing... there are some I love and can't get enough of, some I can't stand to drink at all, and others I'm quite apathetic about. Many people who say they don't like whisky just haven't tried the right one yet. As for the pretentiousness that many think surrounds whisky drinking, it's not pretentious at all - the thing is that with so many whiskies on offer, you need to try to remember which ones you like. The discussions relating one to another is simply how you avoid trying ones you're certainly going to dislike, or honing in on the sorts of flavours you really enjoy.

Enjoy! :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    good tips Andrew.

13. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Store it in an upright position away from direct light and in a place that doesn't have temp swings(below 70 degrees f is preferable).

Unopened you can store it for many, many years. Opened, less so. Depending on your palate and the scotch you may notice a difference in taste in as little as a few months or as long as a few years.

I've heard tell that the more empty the bottle becomes the faster the scotch ages...though I've yet to empty a bottle slow enough to gauge this. :)

Anybody notice the prices on scotch climbing in the last year? Makes me wish I'd stocked up a bit more or perhaps enjoyed with more moderation.

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Interesting about the ice.....thanks!

As to corks, yes I have had some need renewal in some older ceramic decanters.....that's why I said that, about crystal.

15. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    "Waking it up".

It is profound what 2 or 3 drops of spring water (OK, Britta water pitcher water) can do.

16. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    Really just a few drops?
    I'll have to give it a try on something else before I open this bottle.

Thanks, and thanks for the added info Andrew. :)

17. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Ditto to the above. Please do not "bruise" the scotch by adding ice. Single malt is amazing in its complexity of flavors and aromas. Ice blurs the picture. As mentioned above, just keep the bottle in a normal area of the house, upright and out of direct sunlight. Before you open that bottle, I'd say start with a bottle of Macallan 12 year (which is not very expensive) and experiment with a few drops of water to hone your palate a bit. The distinct flavors from different regions of Scotland produce can be confusing. The region you specified can be a very strong flavor for a beginner. Drink it slowly and mix in some other regions to acclimate yourself. After all, its an acquired taste!!

18. 8-Ball

8-Ball Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    Sussex
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I've never kept a bottle long enough to find out ;), but I would assume so.

Amen. :)

19. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Not to worry, Dale. Uro and I will make sure that the bottle arrives safely back to you once the contents have been properly removed. We'll even cover shipping, since it's the holidays and all...

:D

20. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Always. :)

21. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    No no... I couldn't let you cover shipping. lol

22. RED TESTAROSSA

RED TESTAROSSA Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2009
    So. Calif.
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Received a large decanter style bottle of Jack Daniels as a present for my 21st birthday. Stored it in kitchen cabinet for 20 years unopened. When I did uncork it, it tasted great!

23. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    I just noticed its Glenrothes not Brothers.. see I'm not a Scotch drinker... yet.