Daytona Competizione, suitable for the road? | FerrariChat

Daytona Competizione, suitable for the road?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Dec 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Am sure the subject of these racing Daytona's has been covered here numerous times but my question is basically could these cars be driven on the road or were they simply too highly strung and uncomfortable?

My limited google search seems to mention a lot about the cars ability to race but not much about whether any were driven on the road. Thought I see some did take place in road races so they couldnt have been too compromised on the road.

Looking at the modifications done I assume it would be possible to have had a standard Daytona converted to part Competizione spec if the customer had sufficient funds?

Does anyone here have any first hand experiences of driving Daytona Comps and if what are they like to drive. I have heard people say the standard Daytona has heavy steering and I would imagine this would be ever more pronounced on the Comp due to the extra wide front tyres.

Apologies if this sibject has been covered in depth before!

-K1- likes this.
  2. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    email Mike Sheehan; he will give you his perspective (yes, not a factory car but will suffice to answer your question)

Happy Boxing Day

3. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Thanks for the info, will PM you regarding contact info for Mr Sheehan.

Happy holidays to you to!

4. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    In the mid 70s to sometime in the 80s Ken Starbird used his Comp Daytona as a daily driver; open pipes and all. After on of the Daytona 24hr that it ran in his big concessions to street use was the change from slicks to street Goodyears.

Ken did have a strong upper body so the heavy steering was not as big of issue to him as it would be to others. Ken was also quite serious about his cars so his threshold on acceptable for the street may have been at a little higher bar than others.

Jeff

5. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    I have put many thousands of trouble free miles on public roads in both Factory and Client prepared cars. Most are fitted for racing with short ring and pinion final drive ratios making them actually far easier and more lively at real world speeds. With this set up on short and medium tracks they will run on equal with stock BB/LMs.

More later when I can!

Cheers,

Bill Noon

6. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    In the 80s a standard Daytona was hoted up down under and turned into a Group4 style car.Including pistons and camshafts,it to was used on the road.

7. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #7 JazzyO, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
    There's one in Holland too. This one, I am told, actually won the Tour Auto (in the '80ies I think [EDIT: it was 1995 as specified on the Historic Motoring page, see link below]) when they were not too concerned with replica's/recreations.

It's a very impressive car on the road - it passed my 330GTC last June and the exhaust note rocked me from side to side! How comfortable it would be I'm not too sure, but I'd be willing to find out!

http://www.historicmotoring.com/occassions/sold/70ferrari365GTB4_comp_13851/index.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qMXhNobQcU&fmt=18

You could also ask Michael Sheehan - he has one that was prepared to Group4 spec that he used on the road occassionally. It was for sale a while ago, might still be.

Onno

8. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    #8 tomgt, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
    There are at least two comp conversions in the Netherlands.
    See at 0:32 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEfWQhcCsiI

9. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thanks for the YouTube link jazzy, it gave me goose bumps listening to the engine noice.
    Grant

10. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Not only Ken Starbird but his wife Rosi, who weighs about 98 pounds (well, she does play serious tennis)! Comp Daytonas are not that different from street models; truly just slightly modified. If one can stand the noise, no problem.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Engine horsepower and gearing, IIRC......

Tspringer's Daytona was comp. spec. but otherwise a street 'sleeper".......

12. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    #12 bighitter2, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've been driving my daytona, with the comp mods on the engine(symetrical P6 cams,high compression pistons,euro headers, comp distributors,comp carbs with stacks) for 10 years now on the steet, had it parked near terry springer at concorso italiano in 2003 when it was at the quail lodge we spoke for a while about how streetable the daytona was with this setup..no open exhaust or comp seats but very streetable and reliable(and quick)..terry's car is the red coupe behind my car..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    did you ever snap wire wheel spokes?

14. TSOL

TSOL Karting

Sep 27, 2009
    CA
    Full Name:
    Ryan
  15. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    it has 8's front 9's rear they where freshly rebuilt when i bought the car and have only gone 1500 miles..no loose or broken spokes and then agian i am not that hard on it either..