What's the deal with "Swiss" 3x8's | FerrariChat

What's the deal with "Swiss" 3x8's

Discussion in '308/328' started by Brian Elliston, Dec 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian Elliston

Brian Elliston F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Brian Elliston
    Hello Everyone, I bought an '85 QV this year and it is (I am told and believe at this point) a Swiss car. Does anyone have information on the "Swiss" cars? What were the Swiss specs, specialties?, etc.

2. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Need serial #

Ciao,
    Edwaro

3. Brian Elliston

Brian Elliston F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Brian Elliston
    Serial # zffla13s000054845

4. myfazzman1

myfazzman1 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 25, 2009
    down under,australia
    Full Name:
    peter
    This serial number is for a 308 GTS QV, either Sweden or Switzerland market! The eighth digit "S" in the serial number was used by the factory to identify these cars. According to the Chassis # she was prodeuced late November/early December 1984.

My understanding was that they were very similar to Australian "Spec" cars except in LH drive!

Cheers,

Pete

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    CH (Swiss) version 308QV have slightly different gear and differential ratios (see page E7 in the 308QV/328 WSM).

6. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Don't Swiss and German cars also have mesh covering the side air intakes?

7. myfazzman1

BANNED

May 25, 2009
    down under,australia
    Full Name:
    peter
    Also these cars did not run Catalyic converter(s)and were designed to run on "Super" fuel ,

Pre unleaded!

If running unleaded you need to use high octane premium unleaded fuel,assuming that is that the car hasn't been fitted with cat converters on import to the U.S.A???

The fuel tank(S) Capacity is 74 litres(U.S.A market cars 70 litres)

18 lites engine coolant (U.S.A market cars 22 litres)

Seatbelts if still original will be different to U.S.A market cars(Still made by Klippan though and still available here in Australia brand new!)

The car will also be quite considerably lighter than a U.S.A market car with better performance too!

Cheers,

Pete

8. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Brian,

Wow, she , is lighter, stronger, faster,, ,, then a Normal QV..!

Smile,, you win....!
    :)

Edwardo

Now post photos......

9. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
    Yes the gearing is much impoved over the USA market cars. I just wish I had one more! I own 47633 which is a Swiss Market car as well.

Cheers

10. Brian Elliston

Brian Elliston F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Brian Elliston
    Thanks Everyone, I sincerely apologize for the delay in my purchase report and lack of pics. Coming real soon!!!

11. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    And, better gearing in the gearbox,,,
    I did not know that the Swiss cars are the best...!

Edwardo

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I dont buy that. What is super fuel? What is the compression ratio? 9.2:1? If so you can run pretty much any half decent fuel in the 89-91 octane range which is nothing special or super. I was running 94 with 10.5:1 pistons in mine no problem.

13. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    #13 Tony K, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
    I think that by "super" he just means regular high octane, nothing "special" (as clarified in his post). Many pumps do say "super", after all!

14. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    They're actually made of solid cheese......

15. myfazzman1

BANNED

May 25, 2009
    down under,australia
    Full Name:
    peter

Newman to clarify for you:

Here in Oz and in Europe at the time our cars did not run cat. converters and unleaded fuel was not introduced here in Oz until 1986." Super " fuel was then phased out due to the lead content and Cat. converters became mandatory.

The compression ratio on the Euro/Oz 308 QV at the time was 9.2:1

The factory owners manual says use fuel that is 98 to 100 RON on these cars.

Here in Oz our standard unleaded is 91 RON , with Premium unleaded rated at 95 RON.

Some special premium unleaded here in Oz i.E. Shell V-Power is rated at 98 RON and is for high performance Euro/Jap imports and that is what I run in my 308 QV.....

Using different fuel here in my car I have noticed running/performance differences!

Cheers,

Pete

16. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
    +1

I ran Cali watered down 91 at 14 psi boost with no cats and with no problems until i moved to Vegas and discovered 100 octane race gas. 100 octane is nice!

17. Brian Elliston

Brian Elliston F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Brian Elliston
    I was under the impression that gas is pretty much the same and higher octane ratings gave you a higher combusting temperature thereby avoiding "ping" . Ping being the sound resulting from the gas combusting before the spark fired, like in a diesel? In other words, if it's not pinging you don't need higher octane gas. 91 should be plenty high on the octane rating for my car, with no advantage by going higher. Probably a few hundred threads on this.

18. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    In the United States, we use the RON+MON/2 method of octane rating. Most developed nations use the RON rating. So when people in most of the rest of the world say 98 octane, that's about 93 octane in the U.S.

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think the Swiss like MUCH quieter mufflers though.......better decorum.....no loud racing around, after dark...:rolleyes:

Congrats!!!

20. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    I also own a swiss #59149

Different gearing and final drive ratio, very close ratio 2nd 3rd 4th, awesome on the track and in the canyons.
    Lots of extra sound control, quiet muffler, engine bay insulation, air box muffler etc. Has a different horn tone than US or other Euros.
    8.7 to 1 comp ratio, different cam timing, no cats from factory.
    Different ignition advance curve than other also IIRC.
    Small front valance, no rear air foil, TRX 390 wheels and tires were factory stock.

Look in the workshop and parts manuals for the "CH" exceptions and specs.

Keith Bluemells book "original ferrari V8" also has Swiss car info.

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks for the detail, I thought I recalled the noise control items!!!!

22. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    #22 eulk328, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
    I cannot comment on the 308 but the Swiss market 328 is NOT superior by any means, in my opinion. Yes, it has "better" gearing for acceleration but that's because it only produces 255hp instead of the 270 Euro's hp. It has a more restrictive/quieter muffler, catastrophic converter, lower U.S. compression ratio, "softer" ignition timing etc. along with extra foam insulation here and there which mainly collects oil/oil vapor and probably only creates more fire risk..

On the plus side it does not have the heavy U.S. bumpers, flag mirrors or U.S. side markers.

Fortunately it also does not have the frequency valve and associated parts like o2 sensor either, even though it has a cat.

Basically it is a mix of the U.S. and Euro version.

It also has MANY different part numbers for the various gaskets (not U.S. or Euro part numbers). I suspect these gaskets had no asbestos or some other material specifically not allowed in Switzerland. My experience is the physical shape/size of the gaskets is the same as U.S. so finding them is not a problem.

Swiss market cars did not have the mesh screen on the intakes (not mine anyway) like the German ones. It DOES have headlamp spray washers which apparently were required for the Swedish market (my Swiss market was originally sold in Stockholm). Which, incidentally, you can see (the spray washers, that is) on the jacket cover of Keith Bluemel's book "Original Ferrari V8."

Again, I'm referring specifically to the 328.

23. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Well, the 308s Rock !

Then, if you pop on some 16" QV wheels, put on a lightweight free flow exhaust, and Supercharger kit (like I did), you get a 2875lb, 370bhp rocket with great gearing and handling :)

Plus, the Swiss cars without the rear air foil are just darn pretty, IMHO. (check my profile pics)

24. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    #24 eulk328, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
    Sure, and Swiss market 328's also rock IF you put on a lightweight free flow exhaust, and Supercharger kit. Many cars would.

The rear air foil thing is purely personal taste and the lack of them is probably a European thing rather than just Swiss. I believe, maybe just on 328's, the air foil was standard on U.S. versions and optional in all other markets. I like them both ways.

Erich
    1988 Swiss market air-foiless/non-basket handle 328 GTS