Wheel refinishing | FerrariChat

Wheel refinishing

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by afwrench, Dec 31, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looking for someone to repaint the mags and remount the tires on my C4. Anyone had great results in the NY area? Thanks ,Mike

2. ALUMINUMYELLOW328

ALUMINUMYELLOW328 Formula Junior

May 30, 2004
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rhett R Arcilla
    try these guys: http://www.wheelcollision.com/

3. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I've used this guy. Looks like shaggy from Scooby Doo, and a bit odd, hole in the wall shop, but does decent (not PERFECT, but good) work.

http://www.alshubcaps.com/

490 Jericho Turnpike
    Mineola, NY 11501-1102
    (516) 742-6823

4. ALUMINUMYELLOW328

ALUMINUMYELLOW328 Formula Junior

May 30, 2004
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rhett R Arcilla
    I used Al many years ago, when he refinished my RUF wheels and totally agree with your assessment.

5. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    USA Wheel in Fairfield, NJ. A friend had his F355 wheels done by them, came back better than new. And they did a set of Corvette wheels for me, same thing. They get wheels from all over the country to redo. Top notch folks.

6. Boosted930

Boosted930 Karting

Apr 9, 2004
    Morristown, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rob Gordon
    They've refinished a couple of Gallardo wheels for me and a Viper wheel. I thought they did a fine job. The only wheel they couldn't do for me was an anodized Fuch, had to send that one to Al Reed...

7. darkalley

darkalley Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    i took a rim to the guys in fairfield and they heated it up without cleaning the wheel and baked on the brake dust. i didn't realize i was suppose to clean the wheel before bringing it to them......

8. flipdowt

flipdowt Karting

Dec 13, 2008
    Mahopac,New York
    Full Name:
    John Flip
    if i drive the rims to fairfield is it a long process or is it something that i can wait for? i have 2 360 challenge rims with very slight curb rash. is it costly?

9. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I used USA Wheels in fairfield for the 308's rims.
    They had them for 2 weeks.
    They did a crappy job.
    I had baked on dust, hand prints, and grease.

I won't go back.

10. bointc

bointc Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2006
    Jersey City, NJ
    Full Name:
    Anthony
  11. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#11 dwhite, Jan 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
    I would have gone back. I hope you did and had them redone. I can't understand how any business can survive in todays economy providing both poor quality and crappy service.

I have heard very good things about Wheels America

12. AJTozzi

AJTozzi Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2006
    Mine Hill, NJ
    Full Name:
    Anthony Tozzi
    #12 AJTozzi, Jan 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
    I always reccomend George. He does a GREAT job and is really nice guy.

I have had very mixed results with USA Wheels. I agree with Clyde -- I will never use them again. I have dealt with George for over 5 years in a B2B relationship and he has NEVER left me hanging.

13. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Ok, like I said Al's in not perfect, but waaayyy better than that.

14. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    I used these people when I ran over a raised manhole with the CL55 and blew out the front AND rear right side tires and bent both wheels on the inner and outer rims. THere was also curb rash on all 4 wheels. One week later I had all 4 of them back and they were like new. Satiny smooth and true. Recommended.

15. 215MPH

215MPH Karting

Jun 26, 2007
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Kevin Stormes the Owner. He can do anything and everything when it comes to Rims from Repairs to customizing e.g. Powdercoating, polishing and refurbishment. You name it and he stands by his work. I have known him for at least 20 years. Plus his stuff comes out perfect. I wouldn't trust anyone else to do my work.

He polished my rims on my Diablo SV and Callaway CR1 not to mention repaired my bent rim on my Alpina B7.
    Give him a call you will not be disappointed. He is a great guy and personable.

Cell 516 343 8824
    Office 631 491 4313

Regards,
    Ben

16. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    When I picked them up the issues were obvious. His solution: he wipped the hand prints & grease off with (I think) acetone in front of me. That's it. He offered to redo them - but I'd have to pay again. The sad part was I clearly stated my expectations when I dropped them off. I didn't want to be disappointed.

17. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    I've had Wheel Collision Center fix two bent/scraped wheels on a new-to-me Jaguar XJR recently. If you live in NJ anywhere between (approximately) Shrewsbury and the GWB, they offer a free pickup/drop-off service for any shop. If I'm going to be completely anal, I don't know that I would describe it as 100% concours but everyone at my local shop was very impressed with the quality of the results and found dealing with them very easy. Actually, I set up the account for them. :) WCC just wanted a tax id and an address.

18. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for all the tips. Most helpfull. Mike

19. PristineAutowerks

BANNED

Jan 30, 2005
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    I agree. George is a gentleman. Spotless shop. CNC machine, powdercoating, etc. Click on their website. I have personally seen wheels they have done. Very good work.

Christopher
    Pristine Autowerks