328 vs. boxster s | FerrariChat

328 vs. boxster s

Discussion in '308/328' started by bill brooks, Jan 1, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    being aware that there is no direct comparison between a 328 and boxster,
    do any of you have a feel for the visceral comparisons (if any)? afterall, there's 20something
    yrs. in age difference.

how do the boxsters perform?
    what are they like to maintain?
    how reliable are they? do they have any self-destruction tendancies?
    what years are the prime vintages?

i trust your opinions ahead of going to the porsche board as i'm sure they are
    dead-on like the bmw and mb crews. also i feel you would offer a more pertinent
    comparison which i don't think the german crowd could summon.(unless they owned 328)

some of you have owned 911's. i'm interested in boxster impressions only.
    also i'm as much interested in the reliability issues as the performance aspects.

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Back when I was thinking about a new Porsche (1999), we were at the dealer and I asked my wife, "What do you think of those Boxters?" "Guys shouldn't drive Boxters; It's a GIRL'S CAR," was her response. That was it for me - I bought a 911! :)

Of course, that comment is just one woman's opinion but it's not one that would ever be made about a 328!

In any case, since I never owned a boxter but I did own a 911 for 7 years, I'll compare those two... The 328 is, IMHO, MUCH more fun and involving than my 911 was. Yeah, the 911 was a better performer in every way but there is still no comparison. The 911 was competent but I never developed any real feeling for the car and when I sold it I didn't even watch it drive off and I haven't missed it for a second. The 328 is, to me, the total opposite. It's fun, involving, and flat out gorgeous.

This is totally MY OPINION and that's all but since I enjoy the 328 far more than I did my 911, I can't imagine a Boxter even being in the mix. So I'd say that if you really are trying to decide between the two, then the advantages of the Boxter - newer, better "systems," less maintenance, etc must be quite important to you and therefore it might be a better choice.

3. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    #3 bill brooks, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010

uh.... i already own a 328.
    remember me? and gabriella?

just wanted to know what boxster owners thought about the car.

so what if it is a girl's car...... i wasn't talking pink.

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "uh.... i already own a 328.
    remember me? and gabriella?"
    "just wanted to know what boxster owners thought about the car."

Sorry, the wording in your post sounded as if you were looking to buy one or the other and wanted some opinions about that so that's what I provided.

5. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    So you own a 328. Unless you want to go for a 911 tubo don't waste my time.

6. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Post 2000 cars are the best, 2.7 and 3.2 cars. Early cars are "bargains" but the tranny's are sloppy and there were engine issues with the early cars.

Some boxters have rear main seal issues, but someone (on here?) posted.. "adding oil is a lot cheaper than pulling the engine and fixing the seal".

As with any german car, mine seemed to be relible. If you can't work on them yourself, it can get expensive (as with an FCar). The engine is hidden so its a pain to get to.

Mine creaked ALOT going in and out of my high angle condo driveway, its a 15 to 20 degree downslope.

I sold it after I bought a 308 QV. I couldn't afford both at the time. The boxster would be a nice daily driver, no real problems, just wanted the 308 more.

Corners great, a bit loud and rough riding.

Just my opinion.

Is that what you are looking for?

James in Denver

7. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have an '07 Cayman S to go along with my 328 GTB. The Porsche is a daily driver that does everything very well. I've taken an 8 day trip in it, gone to the grocery store and tracked it. I really enjoy it, but taking the 328 out is simply a treat that never grows old. I've got, I guess, 10 years of 328 ownership and plan to have many, many more. Bottom line is if I could only keep one, the Porsche would have to go. Drive one yourself and see.

Dave

8. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Recently, another board member and I got together and hung out while he was in town. He owned a Boxster and I have my 308. He allowed me to drive his Porsche and I allowed him to drive my 308. While I realize the 308 is not a 328, there are many similarities, enough that I would feel comfortable drawing my own conclusion.

The Boxster felt maybe a bit stronger than my 308, and is no doubt more reliable due to its age and German engineering. But my 308 felt more engaging and gave me a better feel for the road. The Boxster felt more sterile and less personable.

I felt what most others have said here on the board with any Porsche vs. Ferrari comparison. So, take that for what its worth.

PDG

9. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    thank you one and all. that's exactly what i was looking for.

on the other hand, i would never part with gabriella, especially for another
    german car. have had several and still do. i parted with my very first new car,
    a 2002 to lay the foundation for a ferrari- -something i've wanted for 40yrs. or more!

i was merely trying to establish where german sports cars are these days.

mike 996, no need to apologize, i thought the same thing as you after i re-read my opening
    thread.

happy new year.

10. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    p.s.
    i am decidedly not a car collector!
    i only have enough affection to care for the daily drivers and gabriella.
    all are members of my family!

11. TAZIO42

TAZIO42 Guest

Feb 12, 2009
    CT
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I have both a '84 308 QV and a 2008 Boxster. I previously had an '04 Boxster S so can give you some of my impressions. I own the 308, the Boxster's have been company cars.

I didn't particularly enjoy the '04 Boxster S. I am 6"3 and it always felt a couple sizes small for me. The engine sound was great above 5K rpm but below that it sounded like a vacuum cleaner to me. The only problem I had with it was a convertible top that wouldn't go up once. Performance wise, it was great but at close to legal speeds, I found it a bit boring to drive.

I was reluctant to look at another Boxster but test drove the '08. They increased the space inside which addressed one issue I had with the car. The engine note is much better as well. No longer sounds like a household appliance (but not even close to the intoxicating sounds of my 308). I find it more fun to drive as well. No maintenance issues in the 18 months I have had it. If I had one car to buy and use as a daily driver with great reliability, this would be the car.

The 308 is a completely different experience. The ride is much more comfortable, more GT than sports car like. My wife prefers it over the other cars I have. Given the age, there is more body flex than modern cars. The sounds are incredible and I have fun driving it whenever I take it out. Looks are timeless and everyone knows this car. For less than $40K, it really stands out.

Other things to consider. I am much more in tune with the sounds of the car and am always listening for some mechanical gremlin. I have had the car only one year and have been eradicating past sins, so this may change over time. You do need either good mechanical skills (which I don't have) or a decent budget for annual maintenance. Performance wise, the car is slower than modern cars, but I really don't notice that when I am out driving it. It is rock solid at 110mph. The 328 is faster than the 308 as well.

If this is your second car to drive on weekends and sunny days, the 308/328 is a fantastic car. I am very happy with my decision to take the plunge. If it is daily transport, rain or shine, you may be better off with the Porsche.

12. TAZIO42

TAZIO42 Guest

Feb 12, 2009
    CT
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I understand you already own the 328, so wrote the commentary for other readers who may be looking at both.

13. Brian Elliston

Brian Elliston F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Brian Elliston
    I've got an '85 308 and my dad has a 2008 Caymen S so here is my 2 cents. If you like to drive fast, you're better off with the Ferrari. If you drive the Boxster S fast then you will run out of road really fast and be going way too fast for having real fun, just plain dangerous. But, the 3x8 Ferrari's are just about perfect to drive around the roads in WNC. Great sound, road feel, etc! Put another way, when I go 100 mph in my dad's car I feel like I should slow down before I get in trouble. When I go 100mph in my Ferrari it changes my life!!!!!

14. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #14 Bullfighter, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
    I haven't owned a Boxster S, so no maintenance data to share.

I have driven an S, and several base Boxsters, and I found them very visceral compared to contemporary 911s. Until the Lotus Elise/Exige came along, I would have rated it tops among modern sports car experiences.

They have the classic sports car recipe right:

1. Two and only two seats
    2. Mid engined/RWD
    3. Convertible
    4. Manual gearbox available
    5. Audible engine soundtrack

The two major revisions were in 2003, when the original version was improved, and 2005 (IIRC) when the 987 version appeared, with a vastly improved interior, slightly more power and now the PDK version (haven't driven that one). FWIW, I think the 987 version looks a lot better.

Relative to a 328:

The size is very comparable, with the Boxster being slightly longer, IIRC, and the seating position is much more adjustable/conventional. The 328 has an old school "cockpit", while the Boxster has the amenities you'd expect in any modern car. I think the cars weigh pretty close to the same. While I didn't want to spin my friend's Porsche into the roadside shrubbery, it felt more controllable than a 328, probably due to the wider rubber and the stability computers doing their thing. Pretty much unshakeable within the bounds of sanity. I would have liked to try it on a track.

Brakes are stunning and fade free and make the 328's feel weak in comparison -- almost like someone oiled them or spilled blinker fluid on them. The 328 brakes were probably my least favorite part of the car.

The engine sound in the Boxster is very good by modern car standards, but not in Ferrari territory. No surprise. It's watercooled, so it's not going to raise the hair on the back of your neck the way a 1973 911S 2.4 would on hard acceleration. But it's pretty good.

In terms of driving around normal roads, the Boxster has better approach/departure angles, so you don't have to look at every ramp and curb in total fear.

The Boxster/S aren't much of an attention getter compared to the 328. At least in San Diego, there are a LOT of Boxsters running around. (Of course there are a LOT of BMW 3 series/M3s running around, and they're still good cars...) I also didn't get much of a rush from just getting into the car -- it felt like a black leather, black plastic, black carpeted German car. With the 328, I always felt like I was getting into something special.

I didn't have an opportunity to load stuff into the luggage compartments, but they seem like they wouldn't be as useful as their combined volume would suggest. Will defer to owners on this one. Obviously 328 luggage capacity is a joke, but it's a Ferrari so who really cares.

I ended up going with an 08 Audi TT over the Boxster, mostly because the Audi is a better daily driver -- massive luggage space in the coupe, DSG gearbox (PDK wasn't available in 2007 when I got my car), a little more comfortable on trips, gets a lot of positive attention and thumbs up. But there's no doubt the Porsche is more exciting to drive fast. I probably would have gone that route if I had to have only one car -- i.e., if I hadn't already had the 328 sitting on the other side of the garage.

I think as long as you don't need it push all your "exotic car" buttons, the Boxster S is a terrific choice. I may be in the minority, but I kind of like that it doesn't have the snob factor of the 997. It seems more fun.

My two deutschmark...

15. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks

good deal... i was hoping someone would participate with that perspective in mind.

16. Imola82

Imola82 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Stu
    My mom bought her Guards Red Boxster new 4 1/2 years ago. Has been a year round daily driver in Chicago. No problems at all. I personlly think it is a very sharp looking car that looks great both sitting in my folks garage and on the road as well. Despite hers being a non-S version and an automatic it is relatively fun to drive. I helped my folks pick out the car and did drive the S which is noticibly quicker and if you could swing it that would be the way go, especially in a MANUAL.

17. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Here's a couple of other tidbits: C&D placed the Boxster/Cayman on their 10 best list 11 times for the Boxster and four years running for the Cayman. This year they raised the base price high enough to consider the 997 but decided they like the two seaters better. Consumer Reports rates reliability as average which is really above average for German cars generally. The Cayman devours lots of cargo. For my 8 day trip, I had 8 days worth of clothes, a bunch of business stuff, a back pack, helmet and driving suit and shoes, case of bottled beer, bottled water and small cooler. It all went into the front trunk and the rear covered area. I didn't even need the space over the motor and under the hatch.

Dave

18. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I recently had a 2009 Boxter in Palm Beach and thought is was a great car, roomy and seemed to have plenty of Pep.

My 328, by comparision is smaller and much more raw experience. but i think for driving at sane speeds the Ferrari gives more feedback, while ultimately the Porsche would acheive higher final speeds with less work... but pure driving experience goes to the 328.

19. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I have a 308, 997 carrera and just added a boxster. The Ferrari has the most sense of occasion and is the most rewarding to drive but also the most work. The carrera is almost too fast to be fun on public roads. The boxster seems just right. It's not the fastest but overall it's a fun package...a lot more personality than the carrera.

20. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    1997 - 1999 was the 2.5, 2000 was the major change of the 986 where the base got a 2.7 and S was introduced with the 3.2. 2005 was intro of the 987 and the increase in HP for both base and S. Of course, there are kits to put the 996 3.4 engine in a 986. The early models, as mentioned, had engine block failures, most repaired under warranty.

SIDE NOTE: There is NO ROOM for the OEM wheels if you get a flat. My Boxster S had a flat within the first month of ownership (my bad, cut a corner to close and hit the curb) and I changed to the donut spare. If I had a passenger, the 18 inch wheel would have stayed on the side of the road.

Also, with the 18 inch wheels, it does carve thru the corners much better. I never got it close to breaking free. I do agree with Jon's assessment of the brakes as compared to the 308, it was leaps better.

As far as the general maintenance, the oil is added in the "trunk" and it holds like 12 quarts (4 in an external sump I believe, I think anyway). They recomment 7,500 miles between changes, and Mobil one, so as long as you don't run into any major issues, its a relatively reliable and cost effective car.

ANOTHER SIDE NOTE: Some 986s were assembled in Germany, some in a scandinavian country (sweden?), the VIN is different.

James in Denver

21. steve0826

steve0826 Karting

Jul 13, 2009
    Bellevue, WA
    I agree with Mike.

I will get a Cayman or 328 instead.

22. Capt Ron

Capt Ron Karting

Sep 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The Scandinavian country is Finland (where the majority of Boxsters and Caymans are assembled) indicated in the vin by a "U".The 986,987 models that were affected by RMS and or IMS shaft failures were not isolated to the early cars.The design problem was addressed in the MY 2009 update(closed deck block,2 piece crankcase,no IMS).For those of you who are members of the PCA do a search for either malady, it has been discussed in detail.

23. scoobysteve

scoobysteve Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Something not really mentioned so far is the difference between contemporary and 1980s cars in general. By and large, today's machines are a bit more isolated, heavier, and have numerous complexities absent in their forebears.

I'm glad someone brought up the notion of being able to properly exercise their and their cars' skills without scheduling a track day. I think Porsches and Ferraris are both cars that respond well to be driven hard. I, too, have a driven a brand new 997 and while the car feels fantastic, I've gotten the impression that the car was holding back much of its magic, saving it for a day when it could stretch its legs a bit more. Unfortunately, here in SoCal, such instances are few and far between if one has regard for safety.

I have never driven a Ferrari but I have ridden in several (308GTB/GT4/TR) and there's seems to be a lot more magic in everyday driving. Of course, I could probably say the same about a 1987 911 Carrera versus today's 997. One thing that strikes me, though, is how much different the "magic" is.

Perhaps because I'm half German and have OCD my perspective is bit warped. Ferraris have a lot of what I call "sensual magic." The engine sings -- like a person. The interior smells like leather. The bodies are beautiful. Porsche magic is much different, I call it "industrial magic." The engines don't emit a beautiful aria, but a mechanical symphony. Gears spinning, chains moving, tappets flying up and down -- each small part contributing. The interiors are marked not by the smell of leather, but by realization that all the control surfaces feel "just right." Everything feels like it's working exactly as it should. In a Ferrari it feels like you're driving a person. Porsches feel like you're driving from inside a Swiss watch.

Your preference is really whichever gets you off. I consider myself very lucky to thoroughly enjoy both.

24. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    I recently had to repair my wife's '05 Boxster. I've gained a lot of respect for them. I have been amazed by the cost of parts (cheap) and the way they are put together makes them simple to take apart. All the connectors are really high quality and just unplug without dissintegrating. I've not been interested in any newer F cars because of all the potential electrical gremlins ... don't know if I'm making this up in my head or not, but if the F cars were put together like the P cars I'd consider something newer.

All the newer P & F cars have less feedback than the older cars, but you get cold A/C which to some people is very important.

The rear main seal leak is an issue. I think I had 4 replaced on my '04 996 the first year I had it. Ultimately the service dept told me to "beat it" since I was tracking the car. I wouldn't mind a little oil leak if it's not getting on the clutch and I only paid $20k for the car but I bought it brand new so I didn't want to see ANY oil underneath it. So right now I've actually gone full circle and am thinking about downloading some of the F car hardware and picking up another newer P car to tinker with.

cheers

25. CiaoBB

CiaoBB Rookie

Dec 28, 2009
    Bay Area
    How about a GT3 RSR ?

A Cayenne twin turbo will spank both of them too :)