Good Track Car | FerrariChat

Good Track Car

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by firefisher, Jan 16, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. firefisher

firefisher Karting

Jan 15, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    George
    Hello All,
    This is my first post. I'm seriously looking for a car to take to the tracks in the North East just to compete against my own times. Then maybe with others when I feel comfortable. I have always been fond of the Ferrari automobile and its rich history.
    I'm looking to purchase a used car that is good on the track and fun to drive in rallies and local gatherings. I plan on signing up for the Sports Car Driving Association events this year. Any input would be helpful as to a good used Ferrari model/year that would fit my bill.

Thanks,
    George

2. 4ZA ITALIA

4ZA ITALIA Karting

Dec 17, 2009
    PDX OR
    Full Name:
    Brad Lee
    My first track day instructor said: "Never track anything you can't walk away from if you stuff it."

This means different things to different people depending on their financial situation. In my financial situation, it excludes all Ferrari products that one would consider using on a racetrack.

A used Lotus Elise or a used Porsche Cayman S are both fast enough to have some fun, but not so expensive as to "break the bank".

In other words, what is your budget?

3. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    Get yourself a good 308GT4 if you want sound, handleing and a prancing horse on the front. Entry cost will be low and you can spend a reasonable amount for a season of racing.

4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i used a 348 spider in northeast tracks for 5 yrs and was great. manual steering and abs is a good combo with enough hp to move along but not too much. 355 coupe probably better but i liked the open top and lower costs with mine

5. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    #5 ztarum, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
    If the car is to be track only, and not a mostly street driven car, I would skip the Ferrari's and get a less expensive dedicated track machine like a Caterham or Ariel Atom. Light, fast, upgradable, easy to work on, easy to transport, etc.

6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Corvette Z06. Cant beat the bang for the buck

If you want to run an F I hope you have a fat wallet

7. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    budget minded racing can be done with a nice rx7. very large class, lots of cheap parts available.

8. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    honda s2000
    lotus elise/exige
    porsche boxster/cayman
    corvette z06
    nissan 350z
    etc

Buy one of those for the track, and a Ferrari for the street. Ferraris are wonderful, but superior track cars they are not, unless you have a fat wallet. I think you will have more enjoyment if you buy a cheap track car and have a weekend-driver Ferrari.

The more and more I drive on the track, the cheaper car I want for that purpose.

9. webster132

webster132 Karting

Aug 9, 2006
    Chicago/Malibu
    Full Name:
    David
    I made the big mistake of thinking that a F430 would make for a decent occasional track car: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225357 -- I wouldn't make the same mistake again and advise others against it too unless they're very confident in their dealer's willingness to back them up. Or wealthy enough not to care.

If you want something faster than the default lot of exige/cayman/etc, then consider either a GT3 or a Lotus 2-11. Both are great cars are pretty fast with reasonable running costs. If it has to be Italian, I'd recommend a Gallardo.

10. firefisher

firefisher Karting

Jan 15, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    George
    I'm very impressed. My first post and received so many excellent points on my situation. I don't have a fat wallet and would race on a tight budget. You guys got me thinking. Thanks for the information.
    I may wind up racing the miata race cars to see if I like it first and also try and find a used Ferrari that is both good on the track ( just playing around to beat my previous lap times) and is also street legal and enjoyable to use as a weekend cruiser.

11. firefisher

firefisher Karting

Jan 15, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    George
    webster132,

That is some story. I would be pissed if that happened to me. I may just take your advise.

George

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Just as a for instance: My F355B has been to the track more than 40 times (days) and has almost 5,000 track miles along with 57K total miles on the clock and about 20 minutes total time over redline. {manual tranny}

Overall, it costs me $1,500 per track weekend with the car. This includes track fees, food, lodging, gas, oil, tranny fluid, tires, brake fluid, pads, rotors, a couple of DMC rebuilds and a couple of wheel bearings, and a major service.

If this kind of cost structure is not in you wallet-size, then do not consider a F355 or F348 as a track car. If it fits, the prepair to have lots of fun.

13. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    as webster said, be careful with voided warrantees due to track use. i would recommend towing car from track to nearby shopping center parking lot and THEN calling ferrari. 'i just went to store for some milk and this is what happened when i came out...'

14. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    how can you recommend fraud?

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I agree. Filing a false report can be a felony.

Dale

16. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    In contrast to Webster, I've put around 1K track miles on my 430 with no issues other than brake pads and soon rotors. Mine is a stick with steel brakes however. Nevertheless, it is not my primary track car for two reasons: 1. an accident would be very expensive, so I don't drive it as hard as I do "lesser" cars and 2. even a club track event day runs into serious money with brakes and tires.

Currently I'm using a Porsche Cayman S that I bought used. A previous car I had good luck with was a 2004 STI. I put a lot of track miles on it with zero issues. A number of guys I track with use C5 and C6 vettes. Lots of bang for the buck there and they seem up to the task without failures.

It's a great time to buy a track/driver car. There are so many great choices.

Dave

17. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1 I don't want to risk a conviction for 10K.

Dave

PS: I asked my dealer about warranty work if a car suffered a track day problem and was told they generally did not deny claims. I suppose it depends on the amount and what for. Might also depend on friendly your dealer is. Obviously wear items are never included.

18. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Thats an excellent choice , a friend of mine who owns severl Ferraris raced Miatas and had a great time and polished his skills too.

SCCA has an all Miata class and you will have a blast and learn a lot. The competition is very tight.

btw a brake rotor for a Miata costs $10. Rotors for my F40 are $1,000 EACH

19. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    +1

20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    the sped MIATA class will make you a worlds better driver.

21. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    #21 95spiderman, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
    obviously would never recommend fraud. what i was referring to is that if you were simply a spectator at a track event and you suffered a breakdown while parked, the dealer might misconstrue situation, so to avoid that i would simply take car out of parking lot before calling.

for all the fchat lawyers, i say this. if you are purchasing a car that may be tracked, request the dealership void all warrantees prior to delivery and voluntarily pay for all repairs regardless of how they occurred.

22. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Chris Rea swears that the GT4 is the best track car he as ever driven plus he is very competitive in it.

23. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    lol

24. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I've seen some nice GT4 racers but you are still stuck w buying expensive and increasingly rare F engine parts and not going terribly fast for your trouble

A Porsche 914 is probably a bit faster & a lot cheaper

25. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Probably true, but some folks want to track and/or race a Ferrari, in which case a GT4 makes some sense- (relatively) cheap and easy to run, albeit slow. The real hassle with a GT4 is oil surge- you need to factor in the cost of at least a properly baffled sump or, preferably, a dry-sump conversion.