My purchase of GT4 #10840 Dino | FerrariChat

My purchase of GT4 #10840 Dino

Discussion in '308/328' started by dinode, Jan 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinode

dinode Rookie

Nov 22, 2009
    livingston nj
    Full Name:
    Dean De Furia
    Hi All,

It all started out because I wanted to find a nice Christmas present for my Wife who just had our third child in October ( James!). I was looking for a while for a nice GT4 because my Wife had always loved Ferrari's and I thought it would be cool to have a Dino as that is my name. The problem was finding her first choice color which was Yellow. I had gotten frustrated in not being able to find one and swore off the internet for a couple of weeks.

Well, of course, Adam Carolla's yellow GT4 comes up on Ebay not once but twice during that two weeks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130340369038

It didn't sell the first time but it did the second. After about a week of kicking myself I decided to contact Adam's assistant, Jay, to see if the deal ever went through. He called me back and said the EBAY buyer backed out the day he was supposed to pick it up. We talked for quite a while ( he was very nice and helpful). He emailed me the service records and said he would talk to Adam about an outright price. Well, a couple of days later we struck a deal. I hired a transporter and then waited.

The transported arrived at 2AM December 23rd, 17 degrees ouside, wind howling, snow blowing; you get the picture. It was a dream sight for me, seeing it start up and pull out of the truck. I quickly put into the garage and went to bed.

The next day I was freezing but I spiffed it up for Christmas day. Needless to say My Wife flipped when she saw it and couldn't have been happier. I did take some pictures and I'll post them soon.

It's been SO cold up here in the NE so no long rides yet, but I did take it around the block a few times. For those that commented on the Carcast video of the car:

http://www.adamcarolla.com/CarCastBlog/2009/10/09/dino-ferrari-308gt4/

The engine runs great with only a hint of smoke on cold startup, much better than the video would have you assume.

FANTASTIC paint work with no defects anywhere that I can find. The only cosmetic issues I have found is that the front and rear bumpers need refinishing as they have hairline cracks in the paint and a small chip out of one rear quarter of the rear one. Also some scraping very low on the lower front valance.

The interior is nearly perfect.

I'm looking forward to working on / driving the car as it gets warmer.

Here's some questions for anyone that might know:

1) the interior lights and dash lights arent working, is this a common problem?

2) Any domestic source for the optional front spoiler? A UK outfit has them but won't ship stateside.

3) The clutch pedal seems hard/stiff, is this normal?

Anyway , I'm I sure I'll have plenty more questions as the months roll by!

2. klatu

klatu Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Mckinney
    It looks like Santa showed up a little early. I guess he had to get a head start because of the global warming problem.

Congratulations on your new son, a happy wife, and a happy little bit of Italy.

You will love and enjoy them all.

Rob

ps. It is another brutal winter day in San Diego, clear and 79 brrrrrr.

3. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    No, the clutch is actually very nice when adjusted correctly. The procedure is so clever and simple, that is is one of the most enjoyable mechanical tasks I have done in my life. I spent much more time admiring the castings and clever operation than I did the actual adjustment.

I do not have a link, it is in the manual.

Jay

4. FiatRN

FiatRN Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Drout
    Dino
    Welcome to GT4 ownership and to the cult of bertone appreciation! I hope you love it.

If your car came with the owner's manual, there's a good wiring diagram in the back that shows how the door lamps (interior lighting) are wired. There are a couple things that could keep them from working, including blown bulbs, the lamps being broken inside, miswired lamps, bad pin switches in the door, and fuse number 6 being blown. This fuse also runs the hazards, so if you have no interior lights and no hazards, that's your problem. It *should* be easy troubleshooting with the manual in hand.

On your dash, you'll see a knob to the right of the tachometer. This is the rheostat for the dashboard lights. The contacts on these can become dirty, the rheostat can go bad, and of course there could be other more evil demons. First try turning the rheostat back and forth about 20 times, which can clean it enough to make it function. Bad grounds (loose) and dirty contacts are the gremlins of choice for most Italian electrical problems.

I don't know what you normally drive, so can't promise that your clutch is ok, but GT4 clutches are heavy, especially if your daily driver is something "normal." The cable can get a little frayed and sticky, and the linkage at the clutch end can get gummed up and dirty. A new cable is easy to install, and the cable adjustment is very simple and elegant. When I replaced my clutch cable, clutch activation became minutely easier. However, it is a stiff clutch from the 1970s. It is what it is - and it is odd, bc Bertone fit a hydraulic clutch onto their low priced Fiat X1/9, but not on the GT4. Alas! You get used to it fast, and then your normal cars feel weak and wimpy and imprecise, and the heft of the Ferrari clutch becomes clearly superior.

Welcome to the fold! Please goto the Dino registry and email your info to the fellow who runs it (I think he's on Ferrarichat as well) @ http://www.dino-gt4-registry.com/ and post a photo of your new car here and there!

Jonathan
    the FiatRN
    SN 15302

5. dinode

dinode Rookie

Nov 22, 2009
    livingston nj
    Full Name:
    Dean De Furia
    Boy, I can't wait to do some tinkering on this thing! But the weather!......

6. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Congrats and welcome to the 308 club!!!

PDG

7. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    congrats! Really cool GT4 - always liked the gauge cluster on those in particular.

Really neat also to get an ex-celebrity car too :)
    salud
    Kurt
    308GTSQV

8. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i loved that yellow gt4. really glad to read its with a great, passionate family.

enjoy, and miles of smiles.

9. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    FIATRN- GREAT advice!!

Dinode- Congrats!! Please post some pics when you can. We want to see more!

JIM

10. dinode

dinode Rookie

Nov 22, 2009
    livingston nj
    Full Name:
    Dean De Furia
  11. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #11 tommott77, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
    I am curious about that 'Pipercross' intake. Are the stocks air horns still under there or have those been changed out as well?

-edited to add that I too feel that yellow is the best color on GT4s.

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Congrats!

Great pics, and nice color selection!!!

13. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    The last pic is the WINNER!!! :)

14. furnacerepair

furnacerepair Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Martini
    Nice color too. Good looking ride.

15. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    #15 1974gt4, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. dinode

dinode Rookie

Nov 22, 2009
    livingston nj
    Full Name:
    Dean De Furia
    Thanks! That's my 5 year old, Amanda. Funny, she seems to have an interest in cars, wonder how?

17. dinode

dinode Rookie

Nov 22, 2009
    livingston nj
    Full Name:
    Dean De Furia

The stock air horns are still under there. I haven't decided whether to keep them on, go back to stock, or try some stacks and screens setup.

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They are connected (maybe) to the catalysts (if still present) to alert you that your carbs are flooding (if equipped) and if you don't stop and check it soon you'll be....

ON FIRE!!!!!!!!

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There's been lengthy discussion by the concensus is pulling HOT air from underhood is not as good as COLD air from the stock set up....

Try a OEM air box and see what you think....

20. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Beware there can be some serious restrictions on some original GT4 intakes! The earlier cars were ok, but they added trunking/baffles to reduce noise on the later cars and it makes a noticable difference to performance. I think the ideal is an early original airbox with cold air feed from outside but without the baffles.

21. dinode

dinode Rookie

Nov 22, 2009
    livingston nj
    Full Name:
    Dean De Furia
    I'll have to check the original airbox to see about the restrictions.

I picked up a set of sad looking HRE 16 x 8 505's that I'm refurbing / refinishing that I plan to mount on it for fun and keep the nice 14'" stocker's for show.

22. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
  23. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #23 robertgarven, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I went with the bigger airbox. :)

Great car, congratulations! try to keep it as stock as possible, that is my recommendation and or at least keep all the parts you take off. someone else may (will) want them. That original license plate frame is rare I have one also but dont use it. How much was the car, if you can say?? I had some HRE's for
    12 years anything wider than 16" 205's will rub in front, mine were 7.5x16. I really liked the 505's for a long time but a set of original or repro wheels look exactly like the originals with all the better handling. I used to spend about 2 hours on each 505 wheel polishing it. I finally got tired of
    that. The dash light even when working are very faint, my reostat has all of its dimmining in the last 1 degree of travel, which I think is normal!!. The front spoiler I think causes to many headaches as this car is one that usually doesn't crunch on driveways at least in the front. I am not sure what aerodynamic qualities they have but personally think they detract from the look but that is just my opinion! Theses acars are a blast and almost more fun to work on than drive.... almost!!!

Enjoy!!!

Thanks

Rob

send you info to Peter's GT4 registry!!

http://dino-gt4-registry.com/index.htm
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login