What Else Do We Know About 0456AM? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What Else Do We Know About 0456AM?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by El Wayne, Aug 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Thanks Chris and Zach... seeing this lineage helps me to understand and appreciate the 612 a little more... just a little bit though LOL.

2. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    No. I haven't seen or talked to Wayne in 20 years but back then he was an Attorney vintage racing a Maserati 300S. I believe that he was from Springfield, IL.

I saw the car in Ulrich's shop in the late 70's and it definitely was "unrestored". Hal was once a heck of a racing driver winning many races in the early 50s in the original Excalibur racing cars owned by Brooks Stevens.

3. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    BUMP! I was dangerously close to starting a new thread but I did some more searching and found this thread. I decided not reinvent the wheel.

This evening I was flipping through some pics on barchetta.cc and came across the "Bergmann Coupe." It was the first time I'd ever seen or heard of it. Eureka!! It instantly struck me that the designers of the 612 Scaglietti must have taken their cues from this car.

I felt like Sherlock Holmes, cracking a case, because as much as I LOVE the car, I've always been sort of puzzled by the design of the 612 Scaglietti. :)

The article quoted a few posts above this one says that the 375 MM Speciale was "bodied by the Turin coachbuilder for Rossellini..."

Pininfarina was based in Turin, Scaglietti in Modena. I was under the impression that Pininfarina was "just" a design house, and that Scagletti was "just" a coachbuilder.

I'm helplessly confused. Did Pininfarina design AND build this car, or did Scaglietti fabricate the car using Pininfarinas design?

(Forgive my "vintage noobie-ness.")

4. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Where's that book, Mr. Ausbrooks?

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Pinin Farina (was two words at the time) designed and bodied this and many, many cars, not only Ferraris. During the introduction of the 612, it was made very clear that the design was influenced by that of 0456AM.

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Metamorphosing.;)

7. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    It is featured in a book called "Luxury Toys - Classic cars" They claim it was originally a "blue-ish silver" with red interior. I saw a show on Canal+ about Ferrari that featured 0456 and there was an interview with Golomb. There was also a few minutes of him driving the car, and boy, did it sound good! Incidently, there was also a bit about 0355AL before it was restored. It looked really cool with that peeled painwork!

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #33 El Wayne, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks for your response to my 6-year-old thread!

Yes, it was light blue originally. Jarrett answered most of my questions about the car's history in his response, but we still never determined exactly when the car went from blue to "Grigio Ingrid."

Here are some pics in both colors, including a couple following an "oopsie" at the Colorado Grand.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Wow
    What a fantastic car, love the light blue color.
    Grant

10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    What brand of tires was the blue showcar wearing? Did the story ever get published anywhere that was being written about the car and it's history? Thanks
    CH

11. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
  12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I wondered about Englebert tires being a choice. Thanks for the tire info!
    CH

13. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    L Wayne,

Did you ever get a definitive answer with respect to how many times 0456 has been restored?
    Thanks.

Best,
    Dave

14. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Other than what you see here in this thread and what Pete Vack was able to tell me about the car (most all of which was included in his two-part article in Forza magazine), I was able to obtain very little information on 0456AM.

This was one of a group of one-off Pininfarina cars from the 1950s and 1960s that I was supposed to chronicle in a book for publisher Veloce Press (at the time, jointly owned by Pete Vack and Stephen Glenn). The concept was to relate the "biography" of each car, complete with period photographs and stories from current and past owners.

While I was able to gather quite a bit of information, as-yet unpublished photos, and interesting stories on most of the cars, I was unable to get a response from Wayne Golomb, long time owner of three of the cars on my list. Two of these cars, 0456AM and 0488AM, were and are among my favorite road-going Ferraris of all time. Without giving these two cars the proper treatment that I felt that they deserved, the book would be pointless to me. After many failed attempts at a response from Golomb, I notified the publishers that I would be unable to produce a completed product within the time frame that we had discussed. They were very understanding and were willing to wait it out, but I became busy with the non-Ferrari part of my life and the book never happened. Of course, it would have appealed to an extremely narrow audience anyway.

I think things have since changed at Veloce Press. At the time, they were interested in publishing new titles (Tom Yang was also working on a book for them about the 330 America), but it looks like they are now focused on reprinting classic, out-of-print books, like Hil Raab's serial number books and Dick Merritt's brochure books.

15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear the owner was not forthcoming about the details needed.
    Maybe you should give 375MM 0402AM the literary 'treatment'. That rebodied race car is an amazing milestone car. It deserves it's own book. In 1998 it was like seeing a brand new 50's car after Butch worked his magic on it.
    CH

16. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    I remember having communication with Wayne Golomb when he had 0355 for sale. I was interested at the time. He mentioned that he might also sell 0456 but it would be expensive, into six figures. A lot of money then, not sounding so bad now. I think he described the condition of both cars in his letter which I probably still have filed somewhere. At the time 0488 had been restored and looked fantastic. I think that I have probably posted pictures I took of 0488 on this forum at some time or another. If I remember correctly the timeframe for all of this was in the mid 1980s.

17. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    As I recall there is a book about the MODEL of 0402.

18. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #43 El Wayne, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
    There is - talk about a narrow audience.

There was also an excellent article by Alan Boe about the real thing in Cavallino 107. One car makes for an interesting article, but not much of a book.

To give you an idea, here are some of the cars that I was working with:

0456AM
    0488AM
    0490AM
    0355AL
    0403GT
    0425GT
    0483SA
    0719SA
    0725GT
    0751GT

Surprisingly, most of the people I approached were extremely helpful. Paul Russell, for example, immediately turned over his entire file on 0725GT, including period photos and correspondence from Prince Bernhard. Almost everyone I contacted volunteered photos that I would be allowed to publish for free. Despite some the public conflicts that arise from time to time, most people who are deeply involved in this hobby are generous and gracious individuals. Others that offered assistance, information, and/or photos included Alan Boe, Marcel Massini, Mark Ketcham, Greg Garrison (RIP), Jack Thomas, Gerald Roush, Manny Del Arroz, and probably many others that I'm forgetting at the moment.

19. BobS.

BobS. Rookie

Jun 21, 2019
    Burbank, California
    Full Name:
    Bob Schmitt
    Total trivia on the 375MM 0456AM: I saw this Ferrari in 1960-61 on Foster Ave (Chicago) near Swedish Covenant Hospital while on my Vespa heading to a summer job, Somehow I later connected it with Ingrid Bergman's husband, Dr. Lindstrom, not knowing he had been divorced long before. But Swedish doctor, Swedish hospital, why not? But this thread confirms there were three Chicago-area owners during this time period, so my trivial mystery is solved!
    Next mystery - what Ferrari race car could I not afford ($5000) at Knauz motors (Lake Forest?) that I looked at while home on leave from the Marine Corps in 1967?
    Cheers!
    Bob

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  20. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles