Russo & Steele tent collapse? | FerrariChat

Russo & Steele tent collapse?

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by Challenge64, Jan 21, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #1 Challenge64, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
    I just heard that a tent at the Russo & Steele Auction just collapsed. Everyone ok?

2. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    I have a Mercedes 3.5 Cabriolet there....

3. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    Where is the info on this?

4. AZLambo

AZLambo Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #5 AZLambo, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
    I was at the auction from about 4:00PM till 6:00PM. They had shut down the tents covering the cars waiting to be sold to public viewing around 4:45PM because of the rain and high winds. I watched cars being sold in the main tent until 6:00, then I left.
    I came home to watch the "live feed" and it was "stuck" on the car being auctioned at 6:30PM. I thought my computer was screwing up, but then I found a video of the last hour of the auction. In the middle of bidding on the 6:30PM car, Drew got on the microphone and said for everyone to evacuate the premises. The north tent had blown away, and that the 101 loop was shut down in both directions because of debris. I would imagine that some cars were damaged by that tent blowing down, with all the cables, light fixtures, etc.! Will be curious to see if the whole auction gets shut down or what! I wish Drew the best! Weather like this hits Phoenix only about once every 15 years or so! What a mess!

5. AndrewGoodman

AndrewGoodman Karting

Mar 2, 2008
    Pa
    Just heard about this as well. This really could ruin the auction forever.

6. azfast1

azfast1 Karting

Jan 10, 2004
  7. jmlinmn

jmlinmn Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    MN, AZ, FL
    Nice, tornado warning in Scottsdale right now. It's like I brought the garbage weather with me from Minnesota.

8. AZLambo

AZLambo Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    What a nightmare!

9. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    My heartfelt wishes for everyone's safety.
    Drew and Josephine are the class act of the AZ auction scene. I hope that they can recover from this quickly. I know that they will do everything possible to make sure everyone who had a car with them will come out okay.

Alex

10. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    What a mess, I hope no one was hurt.

11. CiaoBaby

CiaoBaby Rookie

Aug 20, 2008
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Full Name:
    Cindy Meitle
    It's very sad. I have several clients freaking out, they can't get to their cars until tomorrow, not allowed and I understand why. Many of the convertibles had the tops down when this thing hit. One tent went flying into the 101 Freeway just north of the auction site. Tent poles went flying. Debris was blowing around as in a normal strong storm. I feel so bad for Drew and Josephine, the rest of the staff and the participants and hope everyone realizes this is not human error, it is Mother Nature. Russo and Steele is a class act Who knows, we might even see an auction this weekend, Drew and Josephine are two of the most amazing individuals I know.

Gooding is tented. Barrett-Jackson is tented. RM is indoors, the cars are in a multi-level parking structure rather than outdoors, but there are tented areas for the cars to drive under as they work their way into the main building and on to the auction block. I imagine eveyrone is standing buy watching all tents and poles and ropes "very carefully" right now. The cars over at RM were just amazing...I'd hate to think what a storm can do to a Duesenberg.

12. CiaoBaby

CiaoBaby Rookie

Aug 20, 2008
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Full Name:
    Cindy Meitle
    Mark, I'm going to guess you're at the tent? Is your car OK? (crossing fingers)

13. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    To all affected by this, hope all goes well, hope you are all right as well as the automobiles.

14. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    hope the Forbes Diablo has little damage.

I am going over early.

15. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Yours was in there too :( Hope all is okay.

16. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    They are not letting anyone near the site.

17. AZLambo

AZLambo Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Jason,

Let me know how the Forbes Diablo weathered the storm! Also, Barry's
    million dollar custom "sport speciale" was in there!

18. LP400S

LP400S Formula 3

May 18, 2002
    West Coast
    The people at Russo & Steele run a class act. Hope everyone is well and all works out the best it can. You just can't help it when the forces of mother nature kick in. Wish them all well!!!

19. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    An unfortunate and unpredictible act of nature. I hope everyone is safe and cars are ok.

20. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    What an insurance nightmare...

21. Cory Johnson

Cory Johnson Rookie

Jan 22, 2010
    It is a true testament to Drew and Josephine's character to see how they have handled themselves during last nights storm. You will not find two finer people to represent the collector car market. The way Drew handled himself last night not only earned my respect but all my future cars will be bought and sold exclusively through Russo and Steele.