K&N air filters = remove air boxes, remove, clean and reinstall HELP | FerrariChat

K&N air filters = remove air boxes, remove, clean and reinstall HELP

Discussion in '360/430' started by RobertM, Jan 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    ok,
    for those of you that know me, I have two left thumbs and BUT will ATTEMPT to clean the K&N air filters by myself. BUT I don't even know where to start.

Well, I guess I have step one down.
    - purchase K&N cleaning kit (done)
    - ok, now what ???

you help is appreciated

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    You have the steps right but you need to oil them again before you re-install. BUT be careful not to over oil them. When it comes to oiled gauze filters more is not better. Follow the directions and you won't have any problems.

3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    there should be instructions with the K&N recharge kit. Basically, here is how I do it:

1. Remove filters. The recharge kit should have some cleaner in it. Follow the directions and spray that stuff all over the filter. Then wash the filters with soap and water. Run the water such that it pushes the dirt out of (not into) the filters. In other words, the opposite direction from which the air normally flows.

2. I also usually spray some degreaser on the filters while cleaning them. Once they are cleaned, rinse with plenty of water. Then allow them to dry. You can also use a hair dryer to speed the drying (but do not used compressed air, as this can damage the cotton). The filters should turn out nice and white when done/dry.

3. The recharge kit should contain some red oil. The directions specify that you run a bead of oil along each pleat in the filter. This will apply the proper amount of oil to the filter; allow it to soak in. The filter should end up a nice red color when you are finished. Make sure you don't over apply the oil - you want to apply just the minimum oil required to coat the cloth in the filter.

That's about it.

Ray

4. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M

Just about done drying.
    Now should I add the oil on the top or the bottom of the filters ??? The directions do not state which side.

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Doesn't much matter since you are going to wait for it to wick through the fabric. After that it should be uniformly distributed.