Pur Sang Bugattis | FerrariChat

Pur Sang Bugattis

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by snj5, Jan 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Does anyone have any first or second hand experience with Pur Sang Bugatti replicas from Argentina. I know Leno has two.
    While not authentic Molshim Bugs, they seem to be nice pieces in the same way. I spoke with them today about their least expensive replica, a Type 35. Any opinions or references?

Many thanks

2. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
  3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #3 snj5, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
    Simon - many thanks.

FWIW - the prices quoted to me for a 35 were $170 w/blower and $160 without, both with full road gear.
    To continue due dilligence, I will call Dutton and see what is his story.

They also have a Type 43 Grand Sport 4 seater.

One possible showstopper is size, though. For those more familiar with Bugattis, how well would a 6'2" 250# guy fit in a 35?

All advice appreciated.

Best

rt

4. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #4 Simon, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Great photo of your son. I'm beginning to think the 35 would be a functional monoposto for me.
    If that's your friend, he looks a lot like Brian Redman fom the back. If it is, he was a great guy when I met him.
    Again, many thanks.

6. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    #6 Arvin Grajau, Jan 29, 2010
    a few in Australia,awesome cars and company to deal with,if you need a reference of a owner PM me and I will give you his email address.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. SilverF20C

SilverF20C Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
  8. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    great photos..we seem to have several cars here..a t35 with twin t51 filler caps and a t35 with twin fillers but with t35 two eared caps..also a t35 with the correct single filler neck with a two eared screw-on cap....the car with the t51 fillers is a t35 as it has the magneto centered in the dash...the t51 mag is offset as it is driven by one of the two cams...the 35 has a single cam thus the centered mag in the dash....small details...

9. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Dave, just because you singlehandedly built a t35 more accurate than any of these, doesn't mean you know everything........;-)

10. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    no..i singlehandedly built a t37...the 35b was at one time a real car..i will try to put up a url and perhaps someone could post a pic of engine 200T...this thing has all original internals..even to the rings..ran well when i had it...

www.wilfley.net/pace/QBugattiT35B-2jpg

11. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #11 snj5, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
    Talked to Jim in Colorado. He suggested that a T38/40 may be had for the same money as a pur sang. I am going to look into this, as if I could get a reasonable T40 Gran Sport for similar cost, I'd rather do that - even a bitsa or project.
    All advice appreciated - thanks everyone.

12. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    #12 readplays, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
    Russ,

We're the same size. I would say this- try one on for size (and drive) before spending any money. Whether you go Pur Sang or T40.. either way.
    One thing that was a big surprise to me with the T35 B (1927, not Pur Sang) was the footwell. I wear size 12 shoes and have wide feet. I didn't have racing shoes handy, so I had to go Barefoot. Not kidding.
    You definitely want to sit in one of these things before signing a check. :)

Best,
    Dave

13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    thanks Dave - wise counsel.
    Similarly, it was a good thing I *tried* to fit in a Sopwith Pup before I commited a wad o' money.
    Will wait and see after a 'fitting'.

14. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I'm very interested in these cars too and worried about fitting in them. I'm 6'1, 180 pounds, not that wide but tall for those days. Should I be worried?

Perhaps I can talk one of the Bug owners at the Mille Miglia into letting me sit in their steed.

Onno

15. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    #15 Arvin Grajau, Feb 18, 2010
    you would fit in my mate is about 2 inchs shorter similar weight no issue another guy is well over 6 foot the same.

16. odin

odin Karting

Nov 22, 2007
    No Problem,
    I am 194 cm and 120 kg and own a 37 upgraded with Pur Sang parts, to 35 C Specs, for 12 years.
    The only Problems are wide feet, but you can do something about it. Driving is wonderful, steering light, brakes very good, sound unbelivebal.

Regards
    Jorg

17. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Thanks guys. Love those cars. Hopefully I'll get to experience them myself one day.

Onno

18. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Love these cars, anyone know if they would be street legal in NY? Hard to believe, not even a place for the license plate.

By the way, is the driving experience of the Pur Sang the similar to the original?

Steve

19. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
  20. Bart340

Bart340 Karting

Mar 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bart Rosman
    If your are a guy who is proud of his fake Picasso and fake Rolex you might feel happy with a fake T35 but otherwise go for the real thing!
    Bart340

21. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #21 ibesuc, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
    I'm not really a fake guy, nor am I a guy who spends over $1,000,000 on a car.

Were talking about a car which even "fake" costs close to $200,000, so if I want to experience I may have to buy a "fake" one, sorry. But if you acquire a real one, please tell me about!

And by the way, this seems to be the best "fake" car you can get, considering Pur Sang is somehow involved with Bugatti, after all they did name a new Veyron after them or their name.

Steve

22. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #22 Simon, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
    LOL :)
    The Veyron Pur Sang is not named after the Argentine replica company. Early Bugattis were known as "pur sang" or thoroughbred, as in race horses. It's a phrase that has always been associated with Ettore and his cars.

23. odin

odin Karting

Nov 22, 2007
    #23 odin, Jun 4, 2010
    Mr Rosman,
    I know you are an respected Car Dealer-Collector in Europe, but in your Circles 'Real' is something relative. Many, if not most, of the pre War Racing Cars, are Fakes, or at least partial. Faking started in the 50th, same guys invented the Bugatti Trust and now they are judging, which car is real and which not, if you have connections, you will get a BOC Number, for a 100% fake Car.
    Many, of the older collector Szene, build Cars around their knowledge and some parts, or created from one Car, three.
    I prefer to buy a fake Car, befor I buy a Car, that might have some real parts and a chassis number.
    I spent 60000 USD in my Car, 12 years ago and enjoyed every cent.
    What would cost your car and how real it is?
    Some pictures of your Cars. Maybe you could explain the difference.

Regards
    Jorg

24. Bart340

Bart340 Karting

Mar 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bart Rosman
    Dear Mr. Jorg Anonymous, you claim to know me but calling me a cardealer and stating that in MY circles "Real is something relative" tells me that you do not know what you are talking about.
    What is the purpose of posting pictures of 4920 in a sorry state?
    Do you doubt its originality after the car was rebuilt by the factory in 1930? Explain the difference? That seems to be a waste of time.
    Bart340

25. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ya I figured that out.