Scuderia F1 Question | FerrariChat

Scuderia F1 Question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jeff, Feb 3, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    This question is for the Scuderia only ( not for the regular 430). Today I was able, don't know how it happened, to put the F1 into 2nd gear when the car was just idling (not moving at all) in the driveway. The car was idling in neutral when I hit the paddle and the F1 went to 1st then (must have hit the paddle again without knowing it) to 2nd. I was unable to duplicate it again. Does anyone know if this is normal? I know it is not possible to do in the regular 430. The dealer is contacting FNA about it. Is it possible the Scuderia has different computer mapping than the regular 430 that allows the F1 to go into 2nd while idling?

2. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Normal, or at least it is in every F1 car I have driven, never driven a Scud though. It is use to move the car in slippery conditions, wet grass, ice, snow etc.

Perfectly normal.

3. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    James,
    Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping it's normal. The problem is is that I can't replicate it going into 2nd. My dealer says none of the 430s can go into 2nd from a standstill. For 355s and 360s it is normal. My dealer tried 3 or 4 430s that he had in the service department and not one would go into 2nd. Then we thought the computer maybe different on the Scuderia that allows going into 2nd. We are waiting for answer from FNA. In the meantime I thought a Scuderia owner here may have tried it and could give me an answer.

4. tech4ferrari

tech4ferrari Karting
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 22, 2010
    Mt Airy N,C
    Full Name:
    casey johnson
    I TRIED A SCUD IN OUR SHOWROOM AND IT WOULD NOT GO INTO SECOND AT A STAND STILL. IF IT HAPPEN TO YOU ONLY ONCE, I WOULD JUST WRITE IT OFF FOR NOW, BUT OF COURSE, KEEP AN EYE ON IT!

5. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Thank you for trying.

6. MarvelComics

MarvelComics Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 20, 2009
    Keep an eye on it.

7. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    #7 483hp, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
    It is a very rare occurrence. It happened once to me when I owned my F430. It has never happened on my Scuderia.

Turn off the ignition and restart the car. Throw it in to neutral and then put it into 1st. It seems that the F1 software can lose track of what gear it has engaged in very rare circumstances. I've never been able to replicate it either and it has never been an issue on my old F430 since it happened. Just reset the car and it shouldn't happen again.

8. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Normal occurance. Remember this is the same box design as a conventional three pedal car. Minor internal modifications for the scud. Have you ever got in a regular manual transmission and been unable to select first gear due to the fact the gears are lined up. You can either let the clutch out or select another gear. In the scud you do not have the option to let out the clutch so the gearbox will select 2nd.