Targa High Country 2010 | FerrariChat

Targa High Country 2010

Discussion in 'Australia' started by goober, Feb 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    #1 goober, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Tasmanian Targa specialsts are coming across to the mainland for an event which is believed to be the death knell of Classic Adelaide.
    To held in and around Wangaratta Vic 10 days or so before Classic Adelaide one can see the Vics not supporting Classic any longer.
    230km closed stages = $1990.00
    $8.62 per km

Classic Adelaide
    200 km closed stages = $6850.00
    $34.25 per km

Front Bum Racing have entered High Country, three rallies for the year will be Adel Hills Tarmac, Targa tas and High Country.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Why would they have it 10 days befoe CA?

3. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Interesting.. I was always of the impression the Vic Road/Govt sooo opposed to rally concepts is why we never see events there much.. must have been a breakthrough somewhere?

Certainly timing is interesting too so close to an established "major" or similar(?) ilk?

4. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles

yes it was a major event, its now a nothing event where the almighty dollar prevails to make as much as possible and blame it on insurance costs which have not by all accounts increased 1000% as witnessed with Targa Tas.

the adel event was a good event, its a shadow of its past.

5. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I know "my driver" didn't enter us in last year with such price hikes after doing 3 year in a row together CA with me as nav for him.

Similar thing now defunct "East Coast Targa" where I co-drove (we swapped driver/nav alternate stages).. they just hiked the rates up hugely one year (its last as it turned out!) and interest just evaporated and they disappeared promptly after that one.. (they had some other issues and this just capped it for most)

Be good to see healthy mix of strong events in Aussie calendar.. at least with their financial reserves and reputation should hopefully establish and stay there if right location & formula.

6. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    That's a real shame... poor old Adelaide seems to get shafted every time. The GP was way better in Adelaide and CA was a great event for spectators IMHO...

7. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Website coming soon - no wonder CA have been on the phone this week selling early birds.

Any more details yet on THC other than date and that it is 3 day event? Pity about the date - Australia needs more of these events. Going up against CA isn't the smartest move in the world.

8. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Perhaps being in country Victoria its subsidised by the governement to promote the area. You guys would know better coming from SA, but is it expensive closing roads for the CA due to location, ie. local government fees or is it all dependent on the organiser/promoter?

9. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Sounds very gay.

10. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    #10 goober, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
    correct, they rang me and i just said that we were going to wait it out, and you are right we do need more of these events but the manner with which the Adel event is run is a bit like the SA Govt!!! And the 09 event was a fizzer.

no, the event in SA needs major evemt status, currently the event is subject to local councils and they can at the last minute just shut down a stage, if they had event status the Govt would have the final say (aka Clipsal 500, tour down chunder) and the councils would do what they meant to do......pick up rubbish bins. Thus when one is at the mercy of the councils then how can someone program an event if say at the 11th hour a council CEO can ring and say its a no go.......the organisers are then stuffed. The competitors complain but the council doesnt care cos the competitors dont live in the area and have no vote so to speak..
    Last year we saw stages downgraded and pulled cos of this and even to the extent of commencing road works on the day of a stage (thursday just before peter lehman lunch) and what workers were on duty...none, it was over 38 degrees. I feel for the organizers but the Govt hasnt helped them cos they dont see the event as a money spinner and they always distance themselvesfrom motor sport when a fatality occurs (clipsal and ashley cooper).....like they want the accolades and kudos when the event brings in revenue but throw the whole lot in CAMS's lap when the **** hits the fan.

Furthermore, the council of Georgetwon in tas where the Targa Tas prolgue is run pay 30k to the organisers to have the event in the town for the day cos its a money spinner and the Tas govt do the unthinkable and that is if a stage is run they will resurface the road for the council or contribute to the costs thus the locals get new roads for the next "x" number of years...........in the same light the SA Gov resurface the roads that the tour down chunder use like Willunga Hill which was a lousy road at best, brings some lycra wearing bald bikes in and bingo...new road. I pointed out to the organizers of CA to use stages that the tour bikes use cos its the best bitumen around.........like derrr

11. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Cheap rallying! :D:D

12. robbo mcs

robbo mcs Karting

Nov 2, 2005
    #12 robbo mcs, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
    Hi,

If the targa people are shafting anyone, they are shafting mountain motorsports (Mt Buller Sprint etc) rather than CA. The targa high country is based in the Mt Buller village and includes a run up Mt Buller at the end of each day.

Mt Buller sprint was pretty competitive in terms of kms and $$$ but would now be dead in the water. This year was supposed to be the last running of the Buller sprint, but after the announcement of the tarmac series it was headed for a renaissance, but that is now dead.

Out of interest, Mt Buller sprint used to run on the same Nov weekend as proposed for Targa High country, ie week before CA. Back in the heyday of the economic boom Mt buller had 120 (capacity) followed by a full field at CA a week later. Running two events so close together actually makes sense to Queenslanders and people from NSW in terms of transportation of cars / service vehicles etc.

Anyway, enough said. I hope CA dies a painful death. They ripped me off one year and never refused to redund me fees I was owed when I pulled out. Thats why I have never done the event. Nasty, nasty people. Hopefully karma will get them!

Cheers

Robbo

13. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    CA deserves everything it gets.

14. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sorry to hear. I've only had good dealings with the CA folk. I just a bit tired of the same roads, but no problems with the event or the people.

15. frog

frog Karting

Jul 7, 2008

I take it, past the date when entry is forfeit. Happened a couple of times here with Tugga, I don't blame the organisers however.......suppliers on the other hand.

Problem with CA, more than doubled in price in less than a decade whereas others have had modest increases, short stages, low competition km and has that tweed cap and pipe air. One good point, coverage for other than the first 5 in late modern elsewhere.

16. robbo mcs

robbo mcs Karting

Nov 2, 2005
    Hi,

You are wrong in your assumption.

I paid a deposit for the Suncoast rally. The progress payment came up, to take the total payment to $3500. I was unsure as to whether I would be able to make it, so I rang and confirmed that if I pulled out before the forfeit date I would get a refund. It was confirmed that I would get a refund, but lose $500 deposit, which sounded fine. The supp regs on the website also confirmed this. I paid the money, but several weeks later (well before the forfeit date) I realised I would not be able to compete, and asked for a refund.

Silverstone events flatly refused to refund me any money. After a while they stopped responding to my correspondence and stopped taking my phone calls. I sent them a letter threatening legal action, but no reponse. They then actually retrospectively changed the supp regs on the website so the forfeit date was much earlier, before I had withdrawn! Fortunately I had printed out the original supp regs.

Eventually I had to decide if it was worth pursuing legal action for $3k, and decided to write it off and put it down to experience. I wrote them a letter telling them I realised they were never going to refund me, giving them one last chance, and telling them I would do everything I could to pass on my experiences within the rally community. I vowed to never do an event run by silverstone, and tell everybody who ever asks me about classic adelaide or silverstone events the whole story.

I subsequently found out that there were several other people similarily affected. I think they were losing a lot of money on the suncoast rally, and somehow this justified in their minds that there would be no refunds. They probably surmised correctly that people would not be bothered to go through the whole deal of taking them to court etc over relatively small amounts of money.

Strange thing is that I am still on their email mailing list, and every year get emailed early bird offers etc!

So if CA goes into decline, maybe it is karma.

Cheers

Robbo

17. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    that's BS on their behalf Robbo, was their contact address on the Gold Coast with the rest of the sharks ??!!

18. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    #18 goober, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    well said, I went thru the same pain with the suncoast saga, i did get my money back after some tooing and froing.

......the event was never going to work and the cost was too expensive for an average punter, much like CA is......overpriced, same roads year in year out........

and no Robbo, you have told us and we in turn will tell others..........its karma alright

19. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    nope...........adelaide (even worse than brisvegas)

20. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I thought we had all the shonks

21. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    we too have snake oil salesmen

22. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    why would you want to oil a snake ?? :confused:

23. frog

frog Karting

Jul 7, 2008
    Fair Trading - or the equivalent in Qld, you'd think, would dispatch this in your favour with the documentation.....open and shut, without getting into the court system - cost a day or two on your part perhaps, still a pita. Probably explains the longevity of the Suncoast rally at least, small bit of satisfaction to be gained there.

Once on the mailing list, you'll never get off. Surprised there's no phone calls too, had 9 or 10 years of that.

24. robbo mcs

robbo mcs Karting

Nov 2, 2005
    Unfortunately Karma tends not to work!! I remember years ago, when I was in my early 20's I got robbed of a significant amount of stuff. I remember commenting to the police officer at the time that karma might come into play! Big mistake! This officer was in his late 50's and was battle weary. He said something to me that went along these lines "Sonny, karma is F****d, you are f****d, the b******d's allways win"

Robbo