Skiing | FerrariChat

Skiing

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by tommo, Feb 10, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Been Skiing a couple of times this year, and of again soon to Val D'isere. Anyone been?

I was there last year - great place, great for kids too (hence why we're going)

But if I was to add up the costs of learning to Ski through family holidays, I dare say I could have bought a nice 355 spider by now!!!

All that just so I fall down lots of times in the name of Skiing - why the F do we do it????

2. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    You still fall over after all this time? Time to buy the 355 Spider? :D

3. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    is it true that they refused to give hazy lessons as they didnt have any extra lomg poles for his stumpy arms ???

4. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    not as much, finally getting the hang of it. Been going for 6 years, but I'm afraid we don't have the gung ho approach as per our children.......

5. trmather

trmather Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2007
    Merseyside, UK
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Never been to Val D'Isere but I've been skiing before, and regularly go to the local indoor ski slope here in Manchester just to practise.

Went to Bormio, just up the road from the Stelvio Pass a few years back and since then I've been in love with skiing.

Love snow, love mountains, love going fast and having fun, it's the perfect combination, and it only really hurts falling over if you break your leg :D

6. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    #6 360stimo, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
    Val D'isere is pretty good. I think its more an mid level skier resort. Great nightlife.

Just come back from Banff, Canada. Awsome trip. Great powder, no lift q's, wide open slops with hardly anyone on them and only one lift q hitler in the week.

Going to try and head to Whistler next year for some Heli Skiing. Some pretty tough double blacks in Canada.

I'd post a pic of the Rock Garden in Lake Louise which is a blue if i knew how to resize pics on a mac.

I will show you my mate who has just learnt how to snowboard getting a jump all wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6RRh3uB5Jo

My week's skiing in Banff, including everything, absolutely everything was £850 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005

That's exactly what it is. The older you get the more you think about falling and hurting yourself, so you don't try and your not willing to fall a few times in order to learn how to do something.

Skiing and Boarding is all about having the confidence to try things out on the mountain and to push your level of comfort all the time.

8. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  9. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Open in Preview - The default. File -> save as, select JPEG and it'll give you a "quality slider" - Move that down until you see the projected file size reach something reasonable.

The $850 didn't include flights, right? How much is a day ticket there these days?

I'm about 3 hours from Lake Tahoe and the season is *really* starting to pick up - Lots of pow-pow at last :) Powder is the reason I switched to boarding - Most fun you can have standing up!

If anyone's heading to Tahoe, and with the state of the US$ you probably should, let me know. [I have a season ticket at Heavenly, IIRC day tickets there are now about $85 :eek:]

Cheers,
    Ian

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  11. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    #11 GavC, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
    Hi been skiing to Espace Killy many times either in Val or Tignes. Its a good resort more suited for intermediates and above. Some good blacks(tunnel,3000,face,foret) big moguls over in Tignes and alot of mileage can be covered. Did the full area on the lift pass top left, bottom left and then top right, bottom right in 1 day. You have the ability to ski from 3000+ m down to 1300m. Night life is great if rather expensive Dick's T bar the famous club there, expensive. I would rate it as one of the best areas to ski possibly not ideal for beginners. Oh and the lift attendants are quite good looking. Enjoy.

Got to agree though money spent on skiing would have got a very nice car. Toss up at present is skiing hol or electronic ignition for the gt4. to be honest skiing will win hands down.

12. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    Been to Val d'Isere several times and it is a great resort. If you want tougher skiing, Aim for Chamonix. Or even La Grave... Val Thorens has great skiing, but the village has about as much charm as beige Volvo 242 DL. If you go to Chamonix, don't miss guided skiing in the coloirs!

I was in Whistler a few years ago, and it is definetly the best resort I've been to. Rather expensive, but fantastic skiing, lots of snow and the service is sterling. And, I must say, the people are sooo much friendlier than in the alps! No one tries to push in front of you in the ques etc,,, We went heli-skiing, very expensive, but you do not fly around half the globe to the best heli-skiing mountains in the world and don't go because "oh! it is so expensive!!". It is like someone would let you have a go in an Enzo for $800 and you don't go because you think it is too much... Well - the skiing was awesome in waist deep powder!

13. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    So far, I've done

Chatel (basic but cute)
    Alp d'huez - fantastic for skiing
    Avoriaz - ditto
    Kitzbuhel - pretty town, very underated
    Val d'isere - huge & pricey!
    Chamonix - classy, and a bit tough
    Isola 2000 - small, cute & quiet
    St Anton x 3 - madness!!!!

Chamonix & St Anton - bit hardcore, just come back from St Anton

Chatel was my first foray into Skiing, really enjoyed it. St Anton is the lads only trip - Apres Ski capital of the world

Can't wait for my trip to Val again. Went last year. Its a family trip with other families, so the pressures somewhat off!!!

Love Skiing though, I'd recommend it to anyone

14. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    Are you 'aving a giraffe? Isola 2000 is like Harlow-On-sea! :D

15. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    Val d'Isere - hughe ski area, rather expensive, good skiing.
    Tignes - Same system as Val, better from a skiing p.o.v, but the village lacks charm
    Val Thorens - ski machine, excellent skiing, snow safe, boring village
    Chamonix - one of the best resorts in Europe. More extreme skiing. Easy to get to
    La Grave - very hard skiing
    St Anton - Great skiing and after ski
    Kaprun - good spring skiing (Stay in Zell am See - nice little village)
    Åre - (Sweden) good in the late season. Great after ski, cold in the early season.
    Riksgransen - (Sweden) go there in june and ski 24hrs in the midnight sun!

Whistler - I read an article "Even the hype does not live up to the reality" So true!

16. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Return Flights from London to Calgary, transfers to and from the resort and a week's accomodation was £301

17. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :eek: Holy crap!......[I can't live at home for that price!]

Wow! - I'm *really* impressed - I knew the mighty greenback was going down the toilet, but for that price I may have to fly home and get back on the plane!....

Seriously, where'd you find that? 300 UKP doesn't pay for a few days of lift tickets round here - I'd really like to know - My boys are back there and desperate to come out - For anything close to that price I'd fly up there and meet 'em......

Cheers,
    Ian

18. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    #18 360stimo, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
    Found it on my fav website in the world http://uk.travelzoo.com/

It just lists all the special offers from all travel agents - Done loads of stuff from golfing trip to the Belfry, Skiing in Canada, Ski Weekends, booked a weeks safari in Tanzania for May this year with 60% off etc etc.

For the Canada deal, its worth booking the entire ski trip even if you just want the flights. Return from London to Calgary for £301 is amazing in itself. Flight was crap and plane was awful (Inghams Monarch flight), but at that price who cares !!!

If you subscribe, every couple of weeks they send you an e-mail with their top 20 deals and there are some cracking deals to be had.

Some of the ski deals i have seen (like our Canada trip) were amazing.

19. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Thanks for posting - Appreciated.

+1 on the package deals as well - In Tahoe a couple of weeks back were Brits who'd flown into SFO, picked up a 4 wheel drive SUV, had accommodation and lift tickets, all for less than I paid for air tix alone! - Pissed me off! ;)

Now, a slight rant: Just because beers etc at a resort are expensive does not excuse you from the obligation to tip your bartenders/servers - We have a *terrible* reputation for this and in some places it's getting that we're not welcomed as a result. Rant off!

Cheers,
    Ian

20. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Did that and its still too big for posting on here. On my old PC i'd put the pic in paint and then resize it, simple.

I thought this sort of stuff was supposed to be easier on a Mac ?

21. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    *Please* let's not go there again! ;)

How big are the originals? What format? You could try saving as small as you can, then open that version and again downsize, but to be honest I've never had to that - But I'm typically working from about a 2MB original.....

An alternative you could also try is to "email image" (back to yourself) - Preparing it for emailing automatically downsizes a lot.

Good luck, cheers,
    Ian

22. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    #22 360stimo, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Oh crap, think i have managed to do it. Hope this works.

Anyway, this is the rock garden in Lake Louise, and its classed as a Blue run !!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Well Preview is a petty basic app not really designed for any more than the very basic image control.

Why don't you get something like Pixelmator? It's only £40 and does a lot of the stuff that Photoshop does. you can get a 30 day free trial.

Or if you don't want to pay anything go for Gimp which is free.

24. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Needs a little more snow it seems..... The pic is also pretty small now!

I don't know if you can post bigger pix if you're subscribed? For jpg's I'm allowed a max of 283KB, 800 x 800 pixels.

Did you have to "compress" it twice, or was it operator error? ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

25. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Indeed - But it should be more than sufficient to simply and easily downsize a pic....

*Way* overkill IMHO. It's a great Photoshop "clone", and you can't beat the price but starting it up to downsize a pic is gonna be slow - Preview's slider should be more than good enough....

BTW, I've never used Pixelmator - You like it? How does it compare to PS or The Gimp?

Cheers,
    Ian