330 GTC Exhaust | FerrariChat

330 GTC Exhaust

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by CarloR, Feb 23, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CarloR

CarloR Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Dec 13, 2006
    9219 Mira Este Court, San Diego CA 92126
    Full Name:
    Carlo Rubio
    #1 CarloR, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. CarloR

CarloR Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Dec 13, 2006
    Full Name:
    Carlo Rubio
  3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's an intriguing baffle, it just confuses the noise, so none comes out! LOL!

Cool equilizer tubes....

4. CarloR

CarloR Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Dec 13, 2006
    Full Name:
    Carlo Rubio
    #4 CarloR, Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. krisdisk

krisdisk Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
    Flanders Belgium
    Full Name:
    Kris De Bruyne
    Can I ask briefly: what does one do with the old scrap metal? Is it worth something, once being produced by Ferrari? What is the policy on throwing stuff away?

grtz - Kris

6. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thought the same thing....got an old '83 308 exhaust out in my shed.

My policy: never throw away Ferrari parts.

7. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    Wait. help me here... How can this possibly be cost effective???

I mean hat's off for effort, craftsmanship and sheer ambition, but a new Stebro must be ~$4500 or so, and this can't be cheaper by the time you're done, can it?

8. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Well, here's the reasoning. The Stebro, or any other manufactured unit will not sound or perform the same as the stock factory unit. By recreating the Ansa, with the same materials, it will be the same as the original. The overall cost, when finished will be considerably cheaper than the Stebro. All compelling reasons to rebuild what is there.
    And, the materials used are the same crappy mild steel as the original, therefore, I am guaranteed another muffler rebuild 10-15 years from now!! I have to look out for my future, you know!
    Gary Bobileff

9. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    #9 yale, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
    Exhausts are something I wonder quite a bit about, especially after looking at the design of this 330GTC one. I have a 330GT and I have taken apart that muffler but I don't remember those smaller tubes that are off to one side on this one from the GTC. I wonder how much knowledge went into the design of these mufflers originally as far as standing waves and back pressure and of course getting a pleasing sound? I have asked the folks at one of the aftermarket stainless exhaust places (either Stebro or Timevalve) what went into the design of their product and they tell me they just replicate exactly how the original unit is built, though out of stainless steel. They don't experiment at all nor have they any interest in performance or sound differences. And they don't they know anything about the physics of muffler design.

I have heard that some people feel that there is not as much back pressure from the stainless steel variants for these cars and that that can cause more popping.

Also in seems that Abarth built quite a few of the original exhaust units for the GTB's and 330GT's and I wonder how do they differ from the Ansa units?

I know in loudspeaker design the batting inside the box can improve the low end sound, is there batting in what you built here Gary? When my Ansa wore out and all the batting had been burned off the sound of the car was quite a bit louder.