Wanting to upgrade stereo system...suggestions? | FerrariChat

Wanting to upgrade stereo system...suggestions?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Mad Scientist, Mar 6, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Rookie

Sep 4, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    John K
    I recently purchased an '06 F430. The car is perfect, except for the stock stereo system (not even the upgrade). I am looking for suggestions from those of you who have upgraded their systems for system details, i.e., model numbers, etc. for the head unit, speakers, amplifier and woofer. I'm not wanting to break windows when I go down the street, I just want a good sounding system, mainly for use with an ipod. (Nav and satellite are not important.)

Thanks

Mad

2. PSTexas

PSTexas Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Southlake TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I upgraded mine in my scud. Sounds great now. There is a thread from a week or so ago. I think mine turned out great.

3. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    Please send the link...

4. bretskyg

bretskyg Rookie

Mar 3, 2010
    I just bought a 360 with a Reus sound system. It is not a boom box but rather THE ULTIMATE sound upgrade for a Ferrari. It is custom engineered for the 430. It uses proprietary components designed specifically to fit a 430. The installation uses the original
    Ferrari head unit but from there everything is custom for a 430. The installation is undetectable. A sub woofer is built into the trunk and the ultimate components are under the front floor. About 400 watts. All undetectable. The sound is nothing but amazing. It is like listening to a high end home theater system. The sound stage coming from the dashboard is not to be believed. This is the ultimate and also the ultimate price. I spoke to Dick at Reus the other day with a question and they are very nice, helpful people. You can find out about them online.

5. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I have the Hi Fi option in my car, and the stereo is terrible. Can anyone recommend just an Ipod adapter?

6. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    I know that stereo sound in a Ferrari is not very important and the best sound is the engine,but my scud has the sub upgrade and the sound quality is ridiculous.
    It will be cool to upgrade the speaker drivers and subs for better quality and no mods just replace...

7. velvetropeparty

velvetropeparty Karting

Oct 13, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Bryan Adams
    Guys, stay posted. We have put together a nice package that upgrades the sound and offers SAT radio, backup camera and a Sub that includes and EIGHT inch floor firing sub that goes in the factory HI FI upgrade location. You loose no behind the seat storage,etc.
    I put it together for my own 430 and had a mold made to make the sub enclosure. The enclosure is custom wrapped in the same leather and same stitching as your car has.
    I will post pictures later this week...

Bryan Adams
    Cartronics.com

8. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Rookie

Sep 4, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    John K
    Bryan...thanks, looking forward to the details.

Tony...I bought an ipod adaptor (BAS1319) from Becker Autosound for ~$20. You need the radio removal keys to plug it in where the CD changer plugs in. Tunes aren't displayed but it sounds good, better than the FM modulator that was there.

9. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    Buy a Capristo exhaust, you'll never want to turn the radio on then.

I've only ever turned my radio on once and that was only to check that it worked!

10. X11OUD

X11OUD Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Full Name:
    Neil
    bretskyg, do you have any pictures of this install? I'm aware of Reus and the very high quality of their installs but I'm amazed that they would think that placing the sub in the trunk would produce THE ULTIMATE sound, is it ported through to the cabin?

11. Comprador

Comprador Karting

Feb 4, 2009
    Boston MA
    Full Name:
    Craig
    1) The F430 stereo takes an engineering degree to figure out how to use it
    2) I would rather listen to the exhaust note

12. velvetropeparty

velvetropeparty Karting

Oct 13, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Bryan Adams
    #12 velvetropeparty, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For you guys that are interested, this is the 8" sub enclosure we started making. It is wrapped in the exact same leather the car has. It also has matching stitching (yellow in this case) - We are matching this to an appropriate amp and door speakers that fit into the standard space in the door panels. We will have a complete write up in a few days.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. bretskyg

bretskyg Rookie

Mar 3, 2010
    I will try to get you some pictures. One of the things Reus does is make the installation virtually undetectable. I will have to see how it is ported into the cabin. It must be in order to hear it. I just got the car last week so I am still learning about it.

14. uhussain1983

uhussain1983 Rookie

Feb 15, 2010
    I will try to take pics of my Custom Install soon of my 360. I had a custom box built behind the seats that matches the color of my car, so it looks like the box is a part of the car...It holds (2) 13" TW5 JL Audio Shallow Mount speakers. I also replaced the stock headunit, with the JVC KD-AVX77, got two sets of JL 6.5" C5 Spks. Replaced the door spkrs, and had the other 6.5s" fiberglassed. I have three JL Audio Hybrid amps. (2) HD 750/1 powering each sub, and (1) HD 600/4.. Under the hood, I have a 17" Monitor fiberglassed and ofcourse the three amps, which is all wrapped in red leather, to match the interior of the car... I will try to have the pics up soon

15. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    I never really understood the need for a 17" monitor in a car. To each his own.

16. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    I just want to change the speakers and subs from my Scud,no holes no mods just replace for better quality...

17. velvetropeparty

velvetropeparty Karting

Oct 13, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Bryan Adams
    Contact me for a complete kit.... no holes, just bolt up changes for MUCH better sound.

18. X11OUD

X11OUD Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Full Name:
    Neil
    That is a lovely looking enclosure Bryan :)

19. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    PM SENT...

20. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    best way to upgrade your stereo:
    x-ost, tubi, larini, capristo and/ or spider
    Rgds,
    Vincenzo

21. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    If I install an amp at the front trunk where should be a very good ground point?

22. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Run it back to the battery or the head unit's grounding point (you did pull the positive from the battery?) you'll have a "quieter" system (no ground loop hum/whine).

23. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    Never to the battery! If you need to kill the power via the kil switch in the front your amps will run constantly, I know this from experience.

24. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    JIJIJIJ I have KS exh...

25. Robdownunder

Robdownunder Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2009
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Same as me...I've got the factory Hi-Fi unit upgrade and have never had it on.
    The Tubi is the stereo especially once it passes the solenoid activators.
    Rob.