Cabin heat | FerrariChat

Cabin heat

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Mar 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #1 omgjon, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I installed a valve that's fairly easy to get too to be able to shut the hot water from even getting to the front. In San Diego the heater is seldom used but it's just a few twists and I can leave it on for San Diego's artic winter conditions. This little fix eliminated 80% of the cabin heat.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. pk246gt

pk246gt Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That sounds like a great idea for South Australia where the summer are HOT!

Have you used the valve over a few seasons? Any probs when reopening etc?

Paul.

3. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    A buddy of mine did the same with his early 70s IH truck but used a ball valves instead of a gate valves when he redid the HVAC. Ball valves are generally preferred in that type of application over gate valves. Either is still better than the factory stuff.

4. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Us Pantera owners put a valve on both the outflow and return lines (to the engine) because if a line fails inside the car it can burn you and the car fills with steam.

5. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Jon - how much of the heat is emanating from the heater cores (as a result of valve leakage) versus air flowing past the radiator into the passenger cabin? It is not very well sealed.

Jim S.

6. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Jim, all I know after putting in the valve the heat has greatly diminished. Not all but a huge difference.

7. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Jon - did you make an effort to seal airflow, such as around the large holes where the paper tubing enters the spare tire well, or close the holes in front of the instruments and glove box where wire bundles and heater cables enter? I wonder how much hot air (other than this post-question) enters my cabin from ventilation. I have thought about disconnecting the heater boxes, and your valve execution is brilliant. It is prudent to open the circulation periodically to wash out rust and debris.

Jim S.

8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #8 synchro, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Congratulations on great success!
    This has been an issue with Dinos for ages.

Isn't this 330 summer/winter valve located at the end of the hot water circulation route?
    I thought hot water flows from the "T" in the 32mm tunnel coolant hose, goes to the standard shutoff valve and then to the two airflow boxes before returning to this point. If true, then there still might be some convective heat distribution, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating...and if it works then that is the best!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    For sure this time I'm going to make an extra effort to seal areas where heat could enter the cabin. All suggestions appreciated.

10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Jon, as I will also have some heat issues in the tropics, what is your source for the valve?
    Thanks, Alberto

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #11 synchro, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
    This is a standard on the Ferrari 330 (known as the summer winter valve), Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint and Spider, possibly other models too.

http://www.centerlinealfa.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-HV501.html?L+scstore+tjqs5037ffe4eee4+1290955783
    Centerline Alfa sells these as the HV501 heater valve for $US 79.15
    Best price that I've found

12. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Similar valves were used on early British cars .... Austin Healey Sprite, early MG A, etc. As its presence is not original, the source becomes less important.

Jim S.

13. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I bought mine for $25.00 at Italiano Concorso last summer. If I remember it was a booth with Maserati parts.

14. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you guys. Regards, Alberto

15. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I replaced the rubber seal on top of the curved barrier between the radiator and spare tire and keep the hood ajar when I am not driving to prevent compressing it. This helped a lot in my car.

I could also feel hot air coming in at the base of the console just forward of the bulkhead. I cut neoprene foam and stuffed it in there to stop that.