weeping threads | FerrariChat

weeping threads

Discussion in '308/328' started by lostbowl, Mar 12, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    After seeing 23 quarter size spots of oil on the floor I realize that the threads on the studs for the oil pans are leaking and I have read here that some have used acorn nuts to solve this problem. Has anyone used nylok nuts with sucess? Needless to say other suggestions are welcome. thanks, lost

2. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I changed all of mine to nylok SS nuts. Dried everything up and looks good.

3. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks for the reply, nylocs will be fitted. lost

4. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    I think this is a good idea, but, does anyone know the temerature limits of nylon.
    BTW, I also am replacing the studs on engine and gearbox pans....some were stripped from over-torque. The closest torque value I see in the tech manual is for the cam covers at 6.5 ft-lb. I would thus torque the pan studs about that much and tighten slightly if needed and not above 10 ft-lb. If nylon is good, use them without locktite, otherwise a small drop of blue should hold well with std nuts.

5. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    Most nylok (ESNA) makers quote temp. limits at or just below 250° F.

Rick

6. stacy

stacy Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    halifax
    use 'statoseal' washers under the nuts.

if you search the archives you will find stuff on these. they are a washers with oring bonded into it.

worked for me.

7. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    My first thought was to use sealing washers but I could not find them in 6mm. Has anyone tried #12? lost

8. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    Parker "Stat-O-Seal" products are designed to be used under the head of a bolt. For stud and nut applications they make a product called "ThredSeal". Much better product for this application.

Rick

9. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Hex Seal Nuts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.apmhexseal.com/self-sealing_nuts.aspx

Aerospace grade silicon material bonded to the nut, it is a leakproof seal that worked for me. Not cheap, but should be good for a lifetime, and the sealing material is rosso corsa coloured .