Where are all the Sony PS3's at? | FerrariChat

Where are all the Sony PS3's at?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by thecarreaper, Mar 12, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    I have given up on PC games , due to the the issues i have had with Games for Windows Live.

I have already ordered some PS3 games, but i do not yet have a system.

I know God of War III is coming out next week, but has that REALLY sold out the PS3 EVERYWHERE???

NOBODY locally to me has PS3's, and none of the usual, trusted places i buy from online have any either.

I have Heavy Rain, Metal Gear Solid, and all 3 God of WAR games coming, and i need to buy a system ...... ASAP!!!! :)

suggestions would be great,

also, what upgrades do you guys recommend? bigger hard drive size?

HDMI?

Thank You.

2. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sony had some kind of issue a few weeks back, something about the PS3 not being able to play games or something like that, maybe they stopped production for a little while.

3. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    That was an issue related to how one of the chips in the PS3 handled the date change from Feb 28th to Mar 1st, and resolved itself.

Most likely GoW3 really is having a very big impact on PS3 supplies. Also, they may be letting current stock run low in order to start shipping revised units, possibly with the new "Move" accessory (their answer to the Wii).

I have a 40gig PS3 which I'm very happy with, so I haven't really kept up with all of the new bundles that they have released over the past few years.

Honestly, if you get the 120gig bundle, unless you intend on having 20+ games installed on your system at any given time WITH a number of HD videos, you will have plenty of hard-drive space. I see no need to go any larger. I've been just fine w/ my 40gig for the last two years.

4. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    My roommates and I are eagerly awaiting Battlefield 2 to get here....it looks sick! We played the demo so much haha

5. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Where do you live. Most retail stores should have them.

6. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    everybody locally is sold out. i was like "????" why are there no systems available? even Amazon.com is sold out of them, with a few listed for sale by other sellers WAY over the MSRP. a 120G system should work fine for my needs.

guess i will just stock up on games and wait.

7. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    Check up here(Canada) most store's usually have ton's and ton's of them at all time's and delivery shouldn't be any longer then from a different state etc.,

I have a 120GB and I've had at least 20 game's or more on it with no problem whatsoever, however I don't have any video's or anything else on it. It's strictly for blu ray rental's and video game's.

8. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    Yea I had the same problem a month or so ago when I was looking. I ended up finding one at best buy and they only had 3.

Too bad you didn't post a few days ago, Dell had them on sale for 269.99.

Do you have a micro center around you, I've found that most people do not go there for games or systems, when the Wii's were sold out everywhere they had a room full.

9. YellowS2KVTEC

YellowS2KVTEC Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2009
    Colorado Springs
    GREAT GAME!

10. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I have a 40GB and I recently got a 120GB for free, so I'm giving the 40GB PS3 to my brother in law and sister, and I'm keeping the 120GB. I finally have a Dual Shock controller. Much better than just plain ol' Six Axis. The 120GB is the SLIM version which is cool, it has a 'powdercoat' feel to it, instead of the regular shiny stuff, so no more fingerprint magnet :D

I love how I'm so cheap. I paid ~58 or so for the 40GB after I did surveys and got gift cards, and got the 120GB for free from a promo my internet company was doing only in Arizona. :p

11. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i am in Georgia. where the banjos play. so we only have a few "retail" stores.

i aint driving 5 hours to Atlanta, either.

will look this weekend.

12. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I'll be in Atlanta tomorrow :D

13. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    I've owned my PS3 since the Fall of 2007 I think... I still only own one game LOL GT5 Prologue. I have an xb0x 360 that I do somewhat more regular gaming on. I also 100% believe the PS3 was worth the price buying at that time :) Blu Ray movies; external HDD media player (movies/ music/ photos) If only Microsoft could make such a well integrated platform. If only Sony could make a decent controller... and have more games I'd be interested in.

14. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate

Wow, at first I thought you were FOS! But after doing some checking you were right. Usually the local Best Buy or EB games has a ton of PS3's laying around.

15. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    :) thank you, i think .....

i posted more out of curiosity, as the PS3 has been out for some time, and for it to "sell out" because some games are now out, makes me wonder if there is another reason, like quality control issues, more than supply and demand.

i was really surprised at all the versions that have been made, based on hard drive size, the "Emotion" engine, backwards compatibility, usb ports..... i have been doing some reading the last few days.

i thought i could just go out and get one for $300.00 or so and pick up a few other things with it. all of the bundle packages usually make sense, but nobody has anything to sell.

i am going to pick up a few more games and just keep them until i can get a system. i am on vacation at home all next week, as i cannot go back to work until my eyes heal.

i am having PRK surgery. i had LASIK 13 years ago, and need a touch up to keep from having to get glasses again.

16. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I lucked out & found a rare 80GB bundle pack that is backwards compatible unit a couple of years ago, but problem is it only runs about half of my classic PS/PS2 software collection. The issues are that software publishers refuse to update patches due to minimal interests or some of these companies are now completely non-existent.

17. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
  18. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    But it is Target, I usually wouldn't buy from one of their sellers but some of them are actual stores.

19. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    I don't see target listed as a seller? And why would Target sell stuff through amazon when they have their own online and brick and mortar stores? :confused:

20. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    still cant get a PS3. they are all sold out. not that it matters now.

i had some issues with the PRK, and i lost all my vision in my left eye. i am now on temporary Disability from work, waiting for the left eye to heal. no video games, and very limited computer time.

:(

21. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    Sorry to hear that reaper. I hope your vision comes back fully.

22. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    Sony has been intentionally keeping supply low on new PS3s, which is why they are currently hard to find. It's all artificially created.

If there are any of the original PS3 systems left, I'd get one of those. They look/feel much higher quality than the new slim units which just look cheap. The slim units also lose the touch on/off feature and have a regular cheapo button. I'm also hearing about cooling issues on the new slimmer machine.

23. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thanks!

i am getting better, back to work, and today my new PS3 came in from amazon. they have the 120's for $299, i bought the 250g for the hell of it.

24. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Glad you can read this. Don't wear your restored vision out on PS3 . . .