Dino DIY - Removing the window chrome, seal, and glass | FerrariChat

Dino DIY - Removing the window chrome, seal, and glass

Discussion in '206/246' started by synchro, Mar 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #1 synchro, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The rear and front Dino windows are formidable pieces of material with complex curves that are expensive and delicate. Originals are NLA and I've heard horror stories about repros possibly not having the same dimensions, so removal must be done without inflicting damage. When painting there are techniques to avoid removing the glass but many folks prefer to remove them. Here is how I removed the glass in my 1973 246 GTS #05702.

First, I decided that I would have to replace the rubber seals and I did not try to save them. Trying to save them seemed like it might cause too much flexing of the glass than I was comfortable with. The seals are expensive but readily available, so the seals were deemed expendable.

Prep the area by affixing a suction clamp on the center of the glass. This will give you a safety hold to grip the glass when it comes free. Also wear leather gloves around the edge of the glass to prevent cuts.
    Woods makes a great 6 inch suction cup that I've seen glass installers use and I have the same cup on my Manfrotto car camera mount. It looks a bit odd with the tripod head but it is one of the best suction cups around. Paid for itself in this application alone
    http://www.filmtools.com/gripper-3025-suction-cup-camera-mount.html

Starting at one corner's end, gently separate the chrome from the rubber with a soft prying tool. The glass should not be used as a prying surface and the glass should not be moved or pressured if you're doing this step correctly.

Go slowly with the goal of not deforming the chrome. When you have a small section raised, then string two lines through and behind the chrome. One line will be your pull for the top and the other goes along the bottom.

Gently work the lines in parallel along the top and bottom channels, doing a little at a time.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #2 synchro, Mar 14, 2010
  3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #3 synchro, Mar 14, 2010
    Have a helper hold the suction cup as you work toward freeing it.
    Use a sharp razor blade or Exact-o knife and start cutting the rubber seal out. All you need is one side to free the glass and I started at the bottom because it was easiest to access. I cut the rubber seal in strips, much like I was filetting a fish.

4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #4 synchro, Mar 14, 2010
    Make sure your helper has a great grip on the suction cup and is ready for its release.

Chase the cuts across the full length of the rubber seal until nothing prevents the glass from being held in. Gently remove and place it in a safe place. When storing the glass, be sure to support the glass across its full width.

5. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    Was the old ruuber too far gone that it had to be cut out?

6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    No, the rubber was in good shape but it was over 17 years old.

After attempting to remove the glass and chrome without damaging the rubber I feared breaking the glass from too much flexing. I'll bet a more experienced person might be able to save it all, but that was a decision I had to make. Both Superformance, dinoparts.de and others still sell the rubber.

BTW, I was able to remove the front windshield and chrome and save the rubber, but that rear window is different - it scares me!

Both are now supported evenly by Martha Stewart pillows from the chenile couch - LOL

7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    When i took my rear and front screen out, i can sympathise with you....it is nerve racking!!

However, just wait till you come to put it back in. If i hadn't taken the rear screen out, i would have sworn it didnt come out of that hole.

Good luck but i would suggest you get someone else to refit it......... and look the other way while its being done.

Tony

8. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    HA! cant' think of a better use for MS stuff -LOL
    When the glass came out I was not in the room and in any case was not aware of potential difficulties. I do know that a lot of lubrication of the Palmolive or Fairy liquid type was used. Thinking of my motorcycle tire changing escapades, plenty of soapy water is the key to moving rubber around.

9. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I helped the guy doing my rear (and front) screen and believe me the rear has to be pulled/bent together approximately 20mm to get it past the bodywork.....it was one of the most nerve racking moments that i have witnesed.
    But glass is way more flexible than you would dare to believe.
    G P

10. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Good luck but i would suggest you get someone else to refit it......... and look the other way while its being done.

Tony[/QUOTE]

When I had 03964 stripped to bare metal, my body man hired an auto glass installer to help him remove and reinstall the front and rear glass. He told me that, upon reinstalling the front window, there was a fair amount of wiggle room. As for the back window, his description made me happy that I was nowhere around while the reinstallation was in progress! Fred

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott