Where is 04468? | FerrariChat

Where is 04468?

Discussion in '206/246' started by dinogts, Mar 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

04468, a GTS sold by Grand Prix Motors (now Ferrari of Seattle) at the same time as my GTS. The two Dinos were sold to two friends. The Dino Register is incorrect as it only shows the distributor, Modern Classics, but makes no mention of Grand Prix Motors, the first retail seller. The Dino Register describe the car as originally painted Metallic Brown.

A few years ago I checked with Steve Barney at Sport Auto (the 4th entry on the Dino Register) in North Carolina and he said that the car had been sold to Costa Rica (or someplace like that).

Anyone here know of the current whereabouts? If so please post or PM me.

Thanks,

Mark

2. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn

04468 was delivered in marrone/beige to richard johnson of riverside, ca by marque motorcars on 4/8/73

3. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#3 dinogts, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
    Shawn -
    Something's odd here. The warranty card (N. 2557/D) for Dino 246GTS Chassis N. 04468 shows the date of delivery as 6-29-73 to Daniel Sandal of Bellevue, WA, shows that delivery "was carried out on 6-29-73," is stamped "GRAND PRIX MOTORS LIMITED, 150 Lakeside, Seattle, WA," and has the dealer's (Steve Baynes) signature on it. The importer was:

"Modern Classic Motors, 201 W. Second Street, Reno / Nevada / USA"

Marque Motorcars was not listed as a dealer in the 1972 Ferrari / Dino dealer and service booklet, perhaps they were in 1973 but I haven't been able to verify that.

The mistake in mixing up the warranty cards between the two Dinos sold and serviced at the same time (or nearly the same time) was verified to me by both Grand Prix Motors and by Danny Sandal. As you know, I already know what the Dino Register says about 04456, but what do your Modern Classic Motors records show for the delivery of 04456? You can PM or email me if you'd rather.

Thanks,

Mark

4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn

pretty interesting:

delivered by grand prix motors on 6/29/74 to daniel sandal with a bellvue, wash address

a handwritten note is on the warranty info that reads "withdran 2/10/75"

as for the dealers, it is amazing how many "dealers" are on the warranty records. i don't know what was required to be a dealer, but their are a far greater number than the dealer directory has.

5. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Hi Shawn -

Thanks for the follow up.

BTW, the delivery date on the warranty card is 6/29/73, not 74.

Did the "withdrawn 2/10/75" notation come from the MCM records? Have you seen any other listings for cars sold through Marque Motorcars?

Mark

6. Matthias Urban

Matthias Urban F1 World Champ

Mar 5, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias Urban
    Mark,

the Register's claim is to be correct and reliable. Here we are dependent on owners, dealers, spotter and experts. All information on 04468 came over the years and have all been entered by Denny himself, means a long time ago. So if there is any information to share to kep the Register correct it is highly appreciated.

From the conversation I still do not understand, what happend in the car's early days.

a) was is delivered new to Grand Prix Motors?

and b) how did it make its way to Modern Classics?

c) I think we all agree that 04468 has been delivered in Marrone/Beige.

d) The Register shows Richard Johnson (not of Riverside) but of Carlsbad, CA as first owner and does not quote Mr. Sandal.

e) the connection with Steve is coming from the year 2002 we he, obviously, had it on offer.

f) The car should have been purchase by a Mr. Ingram from Durham and since then (Jan. 2002) we have lost all trace on 04468, but it looks like the ownership from May 1973 to 1993 is complete.

Best

Matthias Urban
    www.dinoregister.com
    www.vinbook.com

7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    correct, it is 73 not 74