DB rail auto train | FerrariChat

DB rail auto train

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by yimn, Mar 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yimn

yimn Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Nick Yim
    Planning to pick up my 458 at the factory and take the DB auto train from Bolzano to Dusseldorf and then drive back to London. Anyone has experience with the journey? I am concerned about ground clearance, safety of my car during the trip etc.

thanks

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Probably not a good idea - because its a new model the train crew may not know how best to load it - on the train the car could get quite stone peppered (I think its open) - the mileage saving won't be great (less than 500 ?) - it'll take about 12 hours longer than driving - anyone got any good reasons ?

3. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Why not drive it all the way back.Is'nt that the point of a factory collection?

4. Stewart 430 Scud

Stewart 430 Scud Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Stewart
    You wil have no problems at all. They will as they always do with low cars have an attendant to guide you from the front at departure and arrival.

5. yimn

yimn Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Nick Yim
    love to drive it all the way but short of time as I want to spend a few days exploring italy. So it seems the journey should be relatively hassle-free and safe for the car??

6. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    You have the train/drive bits mixed up. You want to be driving the great roads to southern Germany through Italy, Switzerland and then training back to the UK over the boring stretches. All IMHO of course.

7. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That's what I was thinking, Simon. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

8. yimn

yimn Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Nick Yim
    agree but no train from germany to the uk that can carry my car as well unfortunately.