Which used Ferrari to buy? | FerrariChat

Which used Ferrari to buy?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Gino230, Mar 31, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Rookie

Sep 28, 2009
    Hollywood, FL
    Full Name:
    Gino
    Hello all, I'm new to the forum and plan on being a first time Ferrari owner within the year. Of course I am on a budget, somewhere around $80k for the purchase. I have done quite a bit of research by searching the threads, I have owned aircraft in the past and it seems that Ferrari ownership is similar- there is always expensive maintenance that needs to be done, and I get that.

Since you don't get to drive these kind of cars at just any old corner dealership, I though I would ask some opinions. I've narrowed it down somewhat to a 550 or 360. Both very different cars, and I'm pretty familiar with the issues involved with each (motor mounts on the 550, variator on the 360, etc.)

I spent some time looking onto the 355, but a friend that I race motorcycles with also races some type of Ferrari and recommended against it- racing Ducatis does make one's standards artificially high when it comes to performance! Don't get me wrong, the 355 is a beautiful car, but I think I'm looking for something a little newer.

I live in South Florida and will probably be driving the car on a weekly basis, and would like to do some track days as well, at least one event per year. I'm less concerned with collector value, more concerned with reliability and maintenance costs for a car that is regularly driven.

Thanks in advance for your input and advice!

Gino

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    How fast are you planning to drive on public roads? :confused:

Or is this for the track?

3. cbstd

cbstd Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    If you want a track car... buy a track car. Street cars are close to worthless on a track and vice versa.

Get the 550, it will be easier to live with on the street.

Scott

4. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
  5. Highlow

Highlow F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2006
    Sac
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    360 Spider.

6. Gino230

Gino230 Rookie

Sep 28, 2009
    Hollywood, FL
    Full Name:
    Gino
    Just to clarify:

1. When I said "racing" I'm referring to organized club races at the track- not illegal street racing.

2. This is going to be a street car. When it comes to racing I'll stick to the bikes, I don't have the time or resources for two race programs, not to mention the cost of racing a car like this.

I will probably do some track days here and there, but not races. Don't most Ferrari drivers do track days occasionally?

I have been told that the 550 is one of the most reliable modern Ferraris. I personally like mid-engined cars, but for the street I don't see the performance difference (if any) to be a big factor.

I appreciate everyone's input, as I said before I have to ask since these aren't the type of cars you can take for a casual test drive.

Thanks,

Gino

7. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

All Ferraris are reliable, period. Just some cost a little more to keep up than others.

I find a 360 more fun and much much better looking than a 550.

8. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Buy the one that makes your heart beat faster.
    That makes the cost of keeping it on the road much more bearable.

9. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I love the mid engine cars....but get the 550.

Have you driven them both?

10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    550= V12 front engine
    vs.
    360= V8 rear engine

if it's for almost the same price I'll go for the 550

11. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

360 = mid engine, not rear engine.....id go with the 360....

12. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Go with the 550. Its got V12 power. Its well made. Its got class.

13. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Compared to what?

;)

They are more reliable than they get credit for, but I don't think Porsche is sneaking in the back door at Maranello trying to learn the secret to their reliability. It also goes without saying that the new Ferraris are head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to reliability and ease of maintenance (with the exception of maybe the 308/328/mondial series).

I'd probably go for the 550. It's just a glorious machine.

14. ryankjb

ryankjb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I'd go with this one too. Titanium 550...mmmm

15. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
  16. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    drive them both, then decide. ive spent time in both cars and actually liked the 550 better, but i think the 360 looks newer.

17. Will

Will Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    cool! What kind?

18. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    The 360 is a (sorry guys !) simple car, the 550 is the real Grand Tourismo.

19. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    Welcome to Ferrarichat Markus! What have you been up to the past 3 1/2 years? ;) :D

20. atlshaver

atlshaver Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I was recently faced with the same decisions and went with the 550. Love the car!

21. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Between the ones you listed, I'd go with the 550. Neither one is a track car, but I think the 550's looks are aging more gracefully. The both have scary repair issues, but that's true for a lot of modern Ferraris. The 550 is on my "weak" wish list, meaning if the right deal fell into my lap I might say yes, but there are 10 or 20 other cars ahead of it.

For reliability, I would go with an F430 with manual gearbox, or well-sorted 328 (will take more of a search).

22. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Is this the same guy- "Doktor K" - Who's beeing posting polls for a year or more?? $80K budget... 550 or 355 (Now 360)... gonna track the car only... Same nonsense over and over for months and months-

Geez- what's the appeal of the continual Fchat circle jerk??

23. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Good recommendation. I went with the manal 430 and couldn't be happier but his budget is 80K.

24. Gino230

Gino230 Rookie

Sep 28, 2009
    Hollywood, FL
    Full Name:
    Gino
    Sorry, I don't know who Doctor K is. This isn't going to be a track only car, it's going to be a street car. This isn't a "poll" really, but since I haven't had the opportunity to test drive either of the cars, I thought I'd ask some opinions, no matter how subjective the answers.

As a new member to the forum, it's interesting to me how many of the forum veterans are quick to jump down the typical new guy's throat for not doing a search of threads, yet these same posters obviously don't take the time to read a post before responding with irrelevant answers....I'm just sayin'.

Anyway, I don't think the 355 is really for me, beautiful car but I'd rather wait a bit longer if necessary and find a 360 in my price range. Also I hear they have quite a bit of body roll when pushed hard?

430 is not in my price range :(

For the guy who asked about the aircraft, I owned a Piper Twin Commanche, an Extra 300, and a Beech Debonair. Alot like Ferarri ownership, really, you spend alot of money on maintenance and only get to use them once a week or so! Still, nothing beats it. Well, almost nothing!

Cheers,

Gino

25. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I would like to try out a 550/575, but both just look too 'plain' to me. I like the more exotic look that the V8 cars have, hence me driving a 360. I've had people mistake 550's for corvettes at a relatively short distance. Nothing wrong with a ‘vette, I've owned and loved them too, I just want an exotic to look to my so-called exotic car.

Here's where the 550 guys set me on fire. ;)