308 Gearbox Wine Noise | FerrariChat

308 Gearbox Wine Noise

Discussion in '308/328' started by Maranelloborn, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Maranelloborn

Maranelloborn Karting

Nov 16, 2009
    New York
    Full Name:
    Remund
    #1 Maranelloborn, Apr 7, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
    What kind of whine noise is normal from a 308 Gearbox? I have heard many 308s and they all seem to have that distinctive whine, I'm guessing from the syncros...? Mine 84 Euro QV does not have the much of a wine at all. I actual always liked the sound, its part of that visceral feel of the 308. I'm running Redline gear oil.

2. gonzo350

gonzo350 Karting

Apr 3, 2004
    Lafayette Indiana
    Full Name:
    Myles
    HA! The timing is funny...I just developed one and dont want it....you can have my QV whine!

3. Maranelloborn

Maranelloborn Karting

Nov 16, 2009
    New York
    Full Name:
    Remund
  4. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Red wine, redline, what's the difference?? ;)

Mine has somewhat less of a whine than that in the video. I've always thought it was the transfer case that was actually making the sound? Another lesson learned....

5. treventotto

treventotto Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Alicante
    Full Name:
    Benjamin
    Stop whining! ;-)

6. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
  7. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    As I have a little experiance with your car in particular (I used to own it folks)- I might be able to help. When I did the clutch a number of years ago on your car not long after I bought it, it had a whine before the job. After the job, the whine was decreased. The only thing I can think of is I put one of the little transfer gear bearings back in backwards, or the new gear oil I used quieted it down. I didn't mind that it went away.

I had Redline, Royal Purple, and Mobile One Synthetic in that gearbox over the years, and the whine never returned. I have a problem when it comes to fluids- I seem to change them too much! New brake fluid, gear oil, coolant etc practically every year in your 308 when I owned it. Engine oil twice a year.

I'm really glad you are enjoying your car- I know I did.

John

8. Maranelloborn

Maranelloborn Karting

Nov 16, 2009
    New York
    Full Name:
    Remund
    Hey, John

I'll take care of her, maybe you can take her for a spin this summer if I make my way out there. She is truly a nice machine, I've taken some of my muscle car neighbors out in the car and they are amazed with the long power-bands. And these are 60's vintage Camaro, Corvette, and Mustang guys. Thanks for maintaining her so well, very well sorted car, she is very tight in corners feels like a new car, well a new vintage car anyways.... I love the Euro QV's

Do you and Verell remember how you set up the cams was there any advance or dead on at 0 degrees?

9. Maranelloborn

Maranelloborn Karting

Nov 16, 2009
    New York
    Full Name:
    Remund
    #9 Maranelloborn, Apr 15, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
    Looks like Ferrari calls for + or - one degree, they looked dead on from what I could tell. It's funny how many photos I've come across on the forum that has this car displayed. I always recognize the marking paint on the cam pulleys, I was following birdmans tutorial on changing the belts and thought wow the engine marking look so farmiliar... to funny

Here's a short video of it in the rain, hate to get it wet, I try to dust mop it if I can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQkSEJnaI-A

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #10 Verell, Apr 16, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
    We set the cams dead on the marks. We used a compact digital camera to sight along the cam to eliminate parallex and so the image could be blown up to verify timing.

It's a Euro model, so the cam marks already setup good performance timing.

BTW, the whining is gears meshing, or possibly bearings. Synchros don't whine, they just cause grinding during shifting, especially down shifting when they're worn.

11. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine

Nice video- I drove her in the rain a few times- she doesn't melt!!

I really miss that car, even the smell- the interior, the engine after a good drive, the exhaust etc: unlike any other I've ever owned. I know, that sounds a little weird...

Yes, we aligned the cap marks perfectly, and went on our way.