news on 599 gto?? | Page 41 | FerrariChat

news on 599 gto??

Discussion in '612/599' started by davide b, Oct 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

I have seen people come back from Coke.
    I have seen people come back from Drinking.

I have never seen someone come back from Sniffing Glue.

2. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    Absolutely. The first thing that caught my eye from the cam inside the cockpit. Was how direct the steering was and how little turning was required to move the GTO around the track. The glass is 20% thinner and all the new computer software built into the car is exactly as you stated being much more proactive. The VPI gives you your throttle and braking response in real time and will involve its owner to an extent that has ever been available to a non professional track driver. Olympus is also correct I think in saying that this is a completely new direction for Ferrari and defines the future of V12 Ferraris versus the V8 line. If I took anything out of my meeting. It was how committed Ferrari is to building its clients something that is game changing. Whatever happens its going to be an exciting time to be part of it.

3. Enzo Anselmo Ferrari

Enzo Anselmo Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    France

I like your sentence! ;)

IMO, she doesn't deserve the name GTO, which is a mythic name!
    Now it's just a "big 599"...

4. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I still think it is a mistake to call it 599 GTO,should rather be a stand alone model,a "600 GTO" for example.
    Would do wonders for future collectability.....

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    If by "collectability" you mean that it will become more valuable over time I don't think so.

I can't see this being like a 288 GTO/F 40/ F 50/ Enzo. Do other's see this car this way?

I think it will follow the path of the 550 Barchetta/575 Super America. I accept that many don't agree.

6. pterps

pterps F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2006
    Netherlands, Zwolle
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I agree with you Napolis, I don't think it will be more valuable if you call it 600 GTO or similar.

It would only be easier for a owner to make clear he doesn't drive a normal 599 ;)

7. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    +1 (where's the Krylon smile icon?!).

8. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Depends what it does to the scoreboard. May mean something if it sets a new 'ring mark.

9. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Think it's just "GTO". 599=# produced.

10. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    It shifts in 25ms then?!

11. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Is this a the 288 GTO? F-40? F-50? Enzo? Probably not.

I don't think it will be as "special" as those cars. In fact, very early in this thread I questioned whether the GTO moniker would be "official." I think this will be a wonderful car and I really want one, but I can't see it being the 288 GTO, or others.

Will its value drop like a stone lime my Barch? Actually, I think it will. There are so many tuners out there--Novitec's car looks amazing--that the 599 GTO will be wonderful; but it will not be an Enzo.

12. Enzo Anselmo Ferrari

Apr 4, 2009
    France
    Yes, Barchetta/SA could be more valuable, but we never know, because all the "sultan of brunei", "emirates' king of petrol" will buy it....

13. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Finally got the call today, my dealer got the message from FNA to get the list submitted to FNA for the GTO. Dealer said they would write the "narrative" on why I should get one, cars owned, etc… The dealer was very excited to tell me this info. I said "not so fast" and I think it through them off a bit.

14. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I guess it was more "hoping for another 288" on my part then more realistic view of that car.
    On the other hand,both Barchetta and 575 SA were only styling excercises when the 599 GTO is a significant rework of styling and drivetrain,making it closer to 288 in concept then the 550/575 iterations.
    ...or maybe I'm drinking Kool-Aid....

15. Enzo Anselmo Ferrari

Apr 4, 2009
    France
    Well, the 288 GTO could be taken for a "big 308", but this GTO doesn't distinguish enough with regard to the original 599! :(

16. Bones2U

Bones2U Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2008
    Ontario
  17. big.bryant

big.bryant Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2008
    Boulder, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bryant
  18. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    That's a 599XX, not a GTO.

19. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    FWIW, I don't know what it is, but its not a 599XX. A 599xx replaces the brake lights with a pair of air outlets fed from a fan in the trunk that extracts air from the cars underside.

20. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You must not be reading the prior posts regarding what the Ferrari Engineers are saying in terms of the radical difference between the two.

21. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

It's the GTO. Wheels, lugs, rear lights, lack of winglets on C-pillar shoulder, matte black roof paint, diffuser, front end treatment, lack of "cut-out" aero behind wheels, and more.

It's not the XX, it is a GTO.

22. jhietter

jhietter Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    It is just a poor photoshop of the 599XX release pics.

23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Its a photoshop of the media pics of the XX by the Windtunnel.

Check the exhaust pipes and compare to the leaked pics of last week presentation.

24. joshl

joshl Rookie

Nov 22, 2006
    Canada
    Full Name:
    joseph
    First of all, thanks for the thoughts about this car a couple of weeks back -- i will be at the launch next week and plan to order one (i'm convinced that the car will be pretty special).

As for what happens to the car's value and collectibility, well, I think it's too early to know. For sure it's not an Enzo or what we might all call a "supercar." It's just not that special or radically different a car -- but the 288 wasn't really all that special (at the time and even 10 years ago) either, and now it's considered iconic.

I'd be shocked if the car doesn't depreciate, and do so relatively severely during the first five or even 10 years. So none of us should do this to make any money as I think there will always be some of these for sale. But...how many more V-12s are they or anyone else going to make? for how much longer will we see 670 bhp, normal aspiration? I do think there is an argument for this car being the apogee of the automobile as we know it, but that's admittedly a non-defensible line of thought and barely would count as reasoning.

What the car will be, i think, is great fun. Probably nothing more.