'82 in Houston | FerrariChat

'82 in Houston

Discussion in '308/328' started by jgriff, Apr 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I've got a buddy who's looking into this 308 in Houston.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari-308-TARGA-1982-Ferrari-308-GTSi-RARE-BLACK-BLACK-8K-SERVICE-DONE_W0QQitemZ280488012184QQcategoryZ157040QQcmdZViewItem

He asked for my opinion based on the listing because I've been keeping myself fairly informed on these cars since they were new. I've not owned one yet. I'm still in Porsche mode now but I will upgrade someday.

He's very capable of working on cars and knows what to expect when buying an older vehicle. He currently has a 1974 454 Corvette and does almost all the work on it himself.

Here's what I told him.

1. It's not a desirable year.
    2. The price seems high depending on what service records are available.
    3. Do not buy unless service records are available.
    4. Get an inspection before buying.

I told him I could post it here and the experts could tell us things from the photos that we would never notice. Do you guys have any advice? We're going to check it out in person later today.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    High? How about "nutty"! ;)

Big "-" for the 390mm wheels, and I always love it when a US version F stripped of its emission equipment is described as "remaining in wonderful original condition".

3. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Thanks Steve. I knew we would get some good info here.

4. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Its right by where I live...I'm surprised I've never seen it before.

The price is insane..

5. Outlaw---

Outlaw--- Rookie

Apr 9, 2010
    First off, it's a '73 Vette and I do all of the work myself (which explains why it hasn't been driven more than 20 miles at a time in the last 2 years but that's beside the point). Please don't make drive downtown just to smack you in the head.

Second, thanks for the info Steve. I may make him an offer after driving it but I can't possibly see him accepting half of what he's asking. Who knows though, he may be desperate to sell.

--Outlaw.

6. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    That's pretty much what I told him too. He's thinking of giving him a very low offer if the car checks out and walking away if it doesn't.

7. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I knew it was one of the bad years I just couldn't remember which. If you get this '82 you can start a "bad year" collection. :)

8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Nor I. I still can't wrap my head around a 328 being a $60K car, so my opinion is probably jaded, but I have a hard time thinking that even $30K wouldn't be a gift to the Seller (with the wheels and if it is missing the cats too). It's a shame the soon-to-be PO spent $8K on refreshing it without using it, and while that would give him/her some sort of "implied warrantee" with the shop that did the work, that won't extend to you (i.e., the big $ repair is more valuable to him/her than the next Buyer) -- JMO.

9. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
  10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The final year (almost ) 1988 would be far more desirable....

I have no personal knowledge of either shop but Drivers Source has become a big player in the market here..

A catalyst car 'missing' the cats is a big deal, to me....not so much to others maybe......there's just no real justification for starting down that road...

After they finish the 2010 Census, they will hunt you all down, and crush them.....:D :D :D

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 -- unless it's got a major drivetrain problem, it seems underpriced ;)

12. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
    #12 flyngti, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    #13 jgriff, Apr 9, 2010
    Does the targa panel look a little ill fitting on the 328 to you guys? If so, how big of a problem is this?

I'm seriously considering trading my '09 911S on this. I drive it less than 100 miles a week and we're a multi car family so I think I could make this my only car. If not I could just pick up a cheap Honda or something. This car would cost less than half what my 911 does. I'd have plenty of money left over for maintenance. I know the performance wouldn't be anywhere near the 911 but it's a Ferrari and I really love 308/328s.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    targa panel looks ok. don't expect a perfect fit, but they do seal decently and keep almost all the rain out. btw, i think the black 308 looks pretty good. i'd go check it out in person, look at the recent records, drive it. looks good for a 40k mile car.

15. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    No kidding.. It looks like he dinged up the steering column with a dremel too...

16. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    We just got back from checking the '82 out. Outlaw pulled the wiper stalk right out of the column and handed it to the salesman. Otherwise the interior seemed to be decent, the paint was good, looked like it may have been painted recently. The windows were slow, as expected but they did work.

OK, here's the bad part. It squeaks like crazy when it's running. It doesn't seem to be a belt. They did have records of service done since 11/2009. It seemed to be around $8k worth. A lot of hoses changed, fluids, etc... The materials list included timing belts but there was no specific labor charge for installation. There was a $2500 charge for removing and re-sealing the engine. No service records previous to 11/2009.

The sales manager made it clear that the price was very negotiable. This seems more like a low 20s car to me if that.

We're going to try to check out the '88 328 tommorrow.

17. nopiston

nopiston Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    You could swing by Lamborghini Houston and check out my '88 1/2 328 tomorrow for comparison's sake as well. We'll be there 10-2.

Randy McCall
    Lamborghini Houston

18. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    The '82 looks like a very nice and tidy driver 308. The asking price is high for sure but it'll certainly sell in the $25K-$30K range quite readily.

These are 30 year old cars. If you expect any 308 to be perfect then you're sure to be disappointed.

A "bad year"? Huh? '82 is a great year. The CIS injection is reliable and very tractable and easy to drive. I bought an '82 specifically because I'm not a fan of monkeying with 4 weber carbs, and don't want to pay for a valve job involving 32 valves. Sure it has perhaps 20hp less than a QV but not many drivers can feel that in practice, and it's not like any of these 308s are fast. If you want a fast car, buy a 360 or a porsche or a vette.

19. Outlaw---

Outlaw--- Rookie

Apr 9, 2010
    I don't know about the black 308. The squeak is really bad at idle and reduces in volume as the RPM increases but it never really goes away until you simply can't hear it above about 3500 RPM. I think it's an engine mount or maybe an exhaust flange is not tight and/or needs a new donut (no exhaust leak though). It's definitely on the passenger side which means it could be just about anything rubbing on anything else. This is a major deal to me which will require a complete inspection of the front of the engine. IIRC that can be done through the passenger side wheel well but it's not anything I'm looking forward to.

Also, the recovery from RPM down to idle is rough and it almost quits every time and it did quit once coming down from a rev. to 4k. If it was stone cold that wouldn't bother me much but it had been running for a few minutes. This also worries me a bit.

The plastic handled bolt that holds the spare tire down was just sitting in the center of the wheel and I couldn't get it to thread into what looked like its proper orifice. It was a bit dark in the shade though and I've never been really great with orifices in the first place so...

The documentation is worthless. It's 14 or so pages of sometimes unreadable faxes, 1/3 of which are duplicate pages. Like griff said there's no specifics, just parts lists and a generic labor charge for removal and resealing with, "customer supplied parts".

The wiper stalk will obviously require replacement of the internals in the steering column and the windows are not just slow, they are agonizingly slow. In a light rain you would drown before the drivers side window made it to the top. They will have to be fixed.

The plastic around the passenger side front turn signal is cracked just a bit but it's on the top and it's like a magnet when you're looking at it.

The firewall behind the pedals appeared to be completely uncovered. That may be normal but it looked like there was some kind of paint (primer?) back there that was definitely not a full base coat. It looked more like overspray from a coating higher up on the firewall (or whatever you call it on these ridiculous mid-engined cars).

The shifter knob was stolen from the auction house where they bought the car but they allege that a new one is on the way.

Based on a little bit of research it doesn't seem like the resale value of this car will be anything near what I put into it to buy and then remedy the above. Am I off base?

Thanks for helping out.

--Outlaw.

20. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    You're correct. By bad year I really mean bad for value. '82s usually go for less than the QV cars. We wouldn't be looking at it if it was really "bad".

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It IS hard to start the tire bolt sometimes...

Bummer about the shift knob...

LOL, handing the loose stalk over!

You are seeing a 'wind lip' at the front of the hatch, that's the way it's supposed to look.
    Another reason the GTB "looks better"....:D :D :D

22. Outlaw---

Outlaw--- Rookie

Apr 9, 2010
    #22 Outlaw---, Apr 10, 2010
    Yeah, it was at that point that I started thinking that I could just buy it right there with the cash in my wallet!

One thing that looked strange to me on the 308 was the fact that you could see the end of the camshaft as shown in the photo below. Does anyone know if that's the way it's supposed to be?

23. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #23 Steve Magnusson, Apr 10, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
    No, there's supposed to be a v-belt sheave mounted there (by a woodruff key and a ring nut) to drive the air injection pump (that is also missing) -- here's the figure from the corresponding OM:

Here's how it should look:

And here's an example where the air injection pump has been removed, but the v-belt sheave on the end of the cam is still in place:

24. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2007
    Mooresville,Nc (Race
    Full Name:
    Bill Long
    Wow, i just found out i own another one of those ''bad year'' 82's,what am i going to do now? If i had been told about this bad year thing i would have bought me a nice civic and put me a big wing on the back and one of them big mufflers and wouldn't be in the predicament. A nice bunch you guys are,not tellin everyone about them bad year cars,shame on you!
    B.

25. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    Aren't these very expensive fixes on a 308?