Moto Droid | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Moto Droid

Discussion in 'Technology' started by 8 SNAKE, Oct 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Indeed. Without wishing to completely hijack the thread, it appears that the iPhone "drops" any wi-fi connections until you unlock it - If I just activate the screen, it shows I'm connected via 3G. Then, a few seconds later it joins whatever wi-fi network it knows about.

Doesn't the Droid do the same? Please note, I'm not criticizing, just interested! [The Droid may well be my next phone, although I don't have any "AT&T issues" either to be honest.]
    Cheers,
    Ian

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I don't know the answer to that. I found with WiFi running, it just wiped out the battery in a day. The phone sits on my desk or in my briefcase for about 90% of the day, so it's 'sleeping' anyway.

I was an iPhone person. I liked the phone, but hated AT&T in my region. For me, service is more important than the phone. A few months ago, I missed several critical family/health related calls because of AT&T's service. That was the end.

3. 4ARI

4ARI Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Northern, VA.
    Full Name:
    Ron S.
    It appears that Verizon is running a buy one get one free on smartphones including the Droid. If you are eligible for an upgrade (which I'm not), you can get 2 for $199. If anyone is thinking about taking advantage of this promotion, I'd be interested in buying your extra Droid.
    Thanks,
    Ron
    [email protected]

4. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Has anyone received the Android 2.1 update yet? I've found a few sources that show you how to download it manually, but I'm going to wait for the update to hit my phone.

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I haven't yet. I'm waiting for the OTA like you.

6. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Updated mine from the Google servers manually. I didn't update my wife's phone and she still hasn't received the update.

7. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Anything special in the update that really changes the Droid? I'm still waiting for the update to hit my phone.

8. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    -pinch to zoom is pretty cool
    -Active wallpapers are eye candy, but cool none the less
    -new weather/news widget is very nice
    -I am LOVING text to speech in the text messaging area. It allows you to use text to speech almost anywhere that uses a keyboard to input information (will not allow it in the browser to input a website address but the microphone seems to be in almost every other keyboard)
    -New photo gallery is very cool and light-years ahead of the one that comes with 2.0.1

-I heard rumors that 2.1 was going to make the device run faster, mine doesn't seem to run any faster...as a matter of fact it seems a little more choppy when you are opening up the app drawer or pulling down your email from the top menu. Not too annoying and I probably wouldn't have even noticed it being 'choppy' had I not had the phone before the 2.1 update. Flipping between home-screens and opening up apps and so forth seems fine...it is really just the stuttering feeling when opening up the drawers that I noticed.

doing the manual update is really not that hard at all. Takes 5 minutes.

9. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Pinch zoom and speech-to-text are the two that I'm looking forward to the most. If I don't get the official update in the next day or so, I might manually load 2.1 on my Droid. I also noticed that Motorola announced a new Bluetooth headset that will read text messages to you. I'm not sure if you can do the reverse and send a text by talking into the headset, but either way it seems like a good product. Should be in stores soon.

10. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The 2.1 update just hit my phone, so I am downloading it now.

11. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    overall I think that you will like it.

12. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Nothing on mine yet. Still, love the DROID!

13. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Dan, just update manually...so easy even a caveman could do it.

14. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Hey! I resemble that comment :)

15. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    My update came in this morning but I haven't had a chance to determine the changes yet. But I have noticed that the icons are much more defined (visually) and the Gallery has been totally redesigned.

So far, I'm really impressed.

16. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

I just downloaded the update and am talking into the droid now this is great. This entire post is true voice recognition.

Absolutely amazing

17. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    In my opinion this is the best part of the update.

18. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I love speech-to-text and the addition of pinch zoom. I was really surprised that pinch zoom wasn't on the phone to begin with, but now that issue is resolved. Speech-to-text is awesome! The live wallpapers are sort of neat, but not a huge deal for me. Overall, I'm really happy with this update and the Droid in general.

19. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

...whoa. the weather/news is fantastic. the wallpaper is a nice toy. Googles, are odd - and creepy. But the speech to text rocks.

20. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    Speech/Text is amazing. Live wallpaper = meh.

21. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You guys noticing the choppiness when opening the app drawer or when pulling down your email/messaging from the top?

It just seems that it is a little slow on my phone after the update...but I also added invisibleshield to the screen, so I am not really sure what is the root

22. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I agree with the live wallpapers. They're cool, but since I use car wallpapers 99.9% of the time they don't do me any good.

I believe I read on howardforums that someone else noticed this when they had their Picasa sync'd up to the gallery. I'll have to go back to verify this.

23. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Experiencing a lot more 'Force Close' issues after the update. I maybe had 1 or 2 tops since I've had the phone (october). Anyone else?

24. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    None for me. Sorry to hear that you're having troubles, though.

25. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner