Looking for helmet advice | FerrariChat

Looking for helmet advice

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Devilsolsi, Feb 10, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I purchased my first bike towards the end of last summer (01 Honda CBR 600). I have been using an HJC Cirus helmet that I got for free. I want to get a nicer helmet before riding season starts in a few months. I would like to stay in the $300 range so any advice you guys have or suggestions is appreciated.

One that I have been looking at is the Joe Rocket RKT 101 Carbon helmet. Anyone have any opinions on this one?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/13077/ITEM/Joe-Rocket-RKT-101-Carbon-Helmet.aspx

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-ARAI-QUANTUM-2-SWIRL-HELMET-RED-LARGE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4a9e53032cQQitemZ320483820332QQptZApparelQ5fMerchandise

can i suggest this lid or similar. it is in your price range and is a proper race quality helmet. i have been riding and racing for most of my life and have hd my share of get offs. i suggest you buy arai.

this helmet is a new old stock thus will not carry the latest snell sticker...but that is ok.

offer $275 and know that you are wearing the best and for the money...in a whole "nuther" league to that which you are looking.

best,

pcb

3. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I've road tested more Arais than I want or can remember in the 20 plus years that I raced. I strongly recommend them.

Art

4. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    What makes Arai helmets better than other brands?

5. PaulVincent

PaulVincent Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2007
    One important thing to consider is fit. For me, Arai fit quite well, so I bought Arai.

6. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    You really need to try them on and see how they fit your particular head. Suomy simply doesn't fit me, but many people really like them.

7. SKXF430

SKXF430 Karting

Oct 19, 2004
    W. Los Angeles
    buy the best helmet you can afford and make sure it has the most current safety rating.

Arai, Shoei, Suomy and AGV are always considered top notch.

great quality and fit.

8. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I guess one thing I am trying to find out is, what makes the "best helmet". What should I be looking for aside from fitment that was laready mentioned?

What makes Arai twice as expensive as Shoei?

9. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    #9 ExoticSpotter, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
    I've never found a Suomy or Shoei that fit me perfectly, and I have used them all. I can't speculate as to why the cost is so much more on those helmets, the quality does not seem any better than a $150 helmet and the release mechanism for the visor is GARBAGE on Shoei, plus the visors (for absolutely no apparent reason) cost 3-4 times as much as HJC/KBC. I will say the ventilation design and lightness of the helmets is usually better with a higher price. It's just an image thing I think. Now if you want to talk about leathers, there's a huge difference.

That being said I currently have an 2 HJCs, Shoei, & Scorpion, but I prefer my HJC AC-12 Carbon Fiber helmet the most. Just checked ebay they're around $250 now I paid $450 a year ago. I have 4 clear visors, 1 dark tinted, 1 smoke tint, and 1 mirror tint visor and the switch out process is genius plus ventilation is perfect. I say get the best fitting, lightest helmet w/ DOT+SNELL protection, don't worry about the brand. You probably don't get more foam in a $700 helmet vs. a $200 helmet, you just get a fancy design and a name.

10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
  11. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    +1 :D

I like Arai...:D

12. ferraripete

look and see what the amatures and experts wear in ccs and wera racing...hell, even the privateers in ama.

it will be arai or shoei...with the larger percentage wearing arai. remember thy don't get them free...so you can use your reasoning as to why club racers pay big bucks for a current snell lid.

that said, look to my initial post in this thread...please tell me why you did not act on that suggestion? between art, axcent and i, you have nearly a half a century of racing experience telling you to pull the trigger on an arai...what gives?

last comment...you do NOT need to pay up for a current snell. you need to however be sure the arai you buy is new in the box and never crashed. if you are ready, i will find you another screaming deal like i did in my first post on this thread.

pcb

13. Savoy6

Savoy6 Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2007
    Lago Vista, Tx
    Full Name:
    John
    i use ogk helmets. crashed tested a few of them. comfortable lots of ventilation. I think they have a US distributor now.

14. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    As others have said, it depends on the shape of your head. Go to a local dealer and ask to try on a number of different helmets. Some will feel better to you than others. Some will pinch front to back, others on the sides of your head. Some will feel tight below the hat band line, but loose at the crown. Wear them in the store for a little bit. Yeah, it fells goofy, but trying it on for 30 seconds will not tell you how comfortable it will be over a few hours on your head. A poor fitting helmet is painful after a while. The purpose of a helmet, first and foremost is to protect you head in a crash. In order to do this it needs to be snug and generally a little difficult to get on and off initially so fit is most important. Ventilation, noise reduction and cool graphics fall way down the list as the crash starts to happen.

Over the years I have used Bell, Shoei, Suomy, HJC and Arai. For me the Arai has always fit the shape of my head best so I continue to buy them for both my M (Motorcycle) rated helmets and SA (Special Application) rated Helmets.

If you can find a good deal online, great. If not, do not limit yourself to a specific price. Buy way fits and protects you best. It is likely that you spent several thousand $ on the bike. Part of the price of a bike is buying proper gear to protect yourself. This includes at minimum, the Helmet, a jacket, gloves and decent footwear. The helmet worn high on the head as a hat or not at all in some states, tank top and flip flop attire might seem cool, but months of skin grafts suck way more than buying and wearing decent riding attire. Modern riding attire is stylish, comfortable in a variety of weather and very protective. Riding on the street, you will find yourself the target of a variety of stuff. Cigarette butts, large bugs (cicadas or grasshoppers), bees and wasps (they really can sting through a tee shirt at 60 mph), small car parts, and gravel will all hit you at some point. Feet, chest, head and hands seem the most common points to get hit with this debris.

The last benefit of having a decent helmet and riding attire is that after a summer of riding around on the street and finding out that motorcycle performance so outstrips most powerful street cars and the perception capabilities of the general driving public (read, left turns in front of you - "I didn't see you", pulling out of the side street - "I didn't see you", pulling out to pass with you heading in the opposite direction - "I didn't see you" or trying to share your lane - "I didn't see you") you will find yourself ready to head of to a track day where the real fun and learning to control a motorcycle can begin. Remember, on a motorcycle you are invisible to 75% of the driving public, unless you are in Europe - Riding there is far safer and more pleasant.

Good luck and ride safe.

15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Remember a helmet should be replaced after any impact; even from just dropping on the ground. Plus, the Motorcycle Safety Foundation as well as most manufacturers recommend that a helmet be replaced every 3-5 years even if it has not had an impact due to deterioration of the inner and outer shell material.

16. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Find the brand that fits your head the best. Arai's fit me perfect but shoei's don't fit correctly at all. I do have a old shoei rf200 that fits, but none of their new models. The lighter the helmet is the better it will be for longer rides.

17. deanhalter

deanhalter Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2008
    Norco, CA
    Full Name:
    Dean Halter
    Go to webbikeworld:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/

They have great helmet reviews that are very informative. I have a Shark RSi based on their review and it is a quality helmet that fits me well and was well priced...

18. Willybeen

Willybeen Karting

Aug 18, 2009
    Vero/Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    William
    leftover rf-1000's are in the 300 range now.... google shoppin is your friend.. just make sure it fits right :)

19. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I was looking at the Scorpian EXO-1000 earlier at a local shop. If fit really well and the internal sun shield is a nice touch. Anyone have any opinion of this helmet?

Also it was suggested that I get a fiberglass shell instead of polycarbonate or Carbon. Anyone have any opinions on the different shell materials?

I'm sitting here watching motorcycle racing on Speed, dreaming of warmer weather.

20. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    I had Arai's forever now, my last helmet was a Nolan which I liked a lot but I did a pavement inspection with it when soccer mom tried to take me out. I was looking at Arai's again when I saw the Shark Evo. Only had it 3 weeks so only 1,100 miles on it but I am loving it. I really like putting the chin bar all the way back and talking to people or even grabbing a drink while stopped. It is noisier then my Arai but I wear ear plugs anyway so that does not bother me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh-DGD__DUM

I wont ride with the chin bar back, it just feels naked but I did a few miles on the freeway to see how it worked and it was fine, the Nolan would try and pull your head off if it was up. And I like the built-in dark shield, no more putting sun glasses on/off.

21. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    The most important thing is fit. Helmet should be fairly snug and will loosen up a little over time. I have worn small Arai for a long time and was introduced to Bruce Porter at Laguna Seca. He is Arai guy for racers and can look at your head and tell you your size. He does measure to be precise. Bruce told me to buy XS and get a smaller cheek pad. It fits great.
    Check the web for Arai quality. They have great fit and finish, too.

22. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Arai is the only manufacturer to make oval and round helmets that I know of and of all the helmets I have had, they fit the best and are the lightest. good luck.

23. BrokeJoke

BrokeJoke Rookie

Feb 7, 2009
    You cant replace your head buy Arai.

24. ferraripete

simply and correctly put! after all the arai suggestions...how much you wanna bet the op did not buy an arai?

pcb

25. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    LOL in fact you are correct. I tried on helmets from a few different brands (Shoei, Arai, HJC, Scorpion). I ended up liking how the Scorpion fit the best and went with the EXO-700