Just installed an iPad in my dash | FerrariChat

Just installed an iPad in my dash

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by AAD, Apr 15, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Great, more distractions for already careless drivers..

Stupid idea IMO..

2. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D

+1. it may be illegal in some states.

3. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

#4 REMIX, Apr 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    #5 badges2, Apr 15, 2010
    Wait......do you have 2 Ipads? What was on your wrist??

Just kidding.......pretty cool, just not for me. Like the others said, we already have too many distractions.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    ?????????????

Check the weather? Look out the window.

Check email? if it's so important someone gets a hold of me they can call. If I want to speak with them I will pick up.

Music, they have that on the radio too.

What is it that this ipad does that has never been done before? Is there some gimmick here? I don't get it.

6. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    looks like this audience prefers to DRIVE their SPORTS CARS, not ADD DISTRACTIONS to their TRANSPORTATION APPLIANCE.

7. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D

SHHH!!!!! I own Apple stock :)

8. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  9. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    Why do this with a wifi iPad? It's useless once you leave the garage

10. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Well, he did say it was 3G - But I don't see how as yet...... I also think "useless" is a bit overstated - My original iPhone used to triangulate location exclusively from cell phone towers for example - So Google Maps should be ok (I'd personally still want the 3G version though.) Email and text msg's etc will still come in - Which I admit *could* be a distraction - But that applies to other "electronic toys installed in cars", not just the iPad. And as we know, the screen is kick-ass.

Can it do anything that hasn't been done before? Probably not, but remember it's doing it for ~$600 (3G version.) "Dedicated" in car systems are crazy expensive, and you can't take 'em with you either....

I think it's pretty cool.

As with all these things, you've got to use common sense while using it, but again, no more than other stuff.

Cheers,
    Ian

Cheers,
    Ian

11. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    The 3G isn't out yet, is it?

12. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    When it can reach out and slide the slow car in the left hand lane to the right hand lane I will install one immediately.

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Indeed - It starts shipping to end-users "late April". So, yeah, I agree, there's two possibilities:

1 - He realizes it's limited without 3G but doesn't want to remake the video ;)
    2 - "Developers" already have them (?) I believe the delay is FCC approval, but maybe developers can get 'em already?

He also says it's all wireless - Surely it has to plug in to the dock in order to drive the speakers etc? It would really cool if you could have your passenger using it on their lap.....

Cheers,
    Ian

14. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D Now *that* I like!.....

I also bet it won't be long (if not already out?) before a "speed camera location" app appears warning you ahead of time - Is that in Google Maps?

Cheers,
    Ian

15. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    Trapster on the iPhone!

16. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    So, reviewing and getting that also led to a new version of Navigon (Nav S/W) and a few other things getting updated.

While Navigon includes a *ton* of POI's, speed traps and camera's aren't among them :(

I haven't checked their site in ages, but may go and see if anyone else is requesting they be added to the app - Maybe integrate Trapster into Navigon (?)

Or, it just occurred to me, supposedly "we" get multi-tasking with OS4.0 - Maybe that'll do it?

Cheers,
    Ian

17. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    To be blunt: It makes one think that it does something that nothing else has ever done before, and then one ends up buying it because they believe that.

18. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What he said.

What people really need is a crate in the trunk to hold their cell phone, laptop, DVD player, Playstation, iPad, etc., when they want to drive their car.

Otherwise you've just created the iKill.

19. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I respectfully disagree. Is this any more distracting than any other "nav/sync/phone/etc" system that may be installed? Sure, as noted above, common sense is required (and I know that's lacking ;)), but this thing appears to give you a nice big screen (easily readable) and I'm sure apps will appear soon that take advantage of that real estate for ease-of-use etc.

I already use my iPhone as my nav system, and the big iPad display would make that app (and Trapster) much more friendly and easier to use ("When stationary, use at your own risk, etc etc ;))

Cheers,
    Ian

20. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

#22 REMIX, Apr 15, 2010
  21. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I guess it's fitting he installed the iPad in a Range Rover that has never climbed over anything more than a speed bump in the McDonalds parking lot.

22. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #24 zygomatic, Apr 15, 2010

I believe some gentlemen have already reserved the iKill name. For this...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. AAD

AAD Rookie

Oct 2, 2006
    Thanks for reassuring me that I still won't buy a Ferrari because there are way too many OEM people that will always hate on ANY mod ever done to their car.

I have a mobile hotspot in my truck that has 3G and 4g. It works much better than the factory navigation and the hotspot has gps built in also.

I understand everyone has there own opinion but damn guys I remember why I stopped going on this site...

Thanks for the people that did like the install.