I turned the key & my $$$ flashed before my eyes.......!!!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I turned the key & my $$$ flashed before my eyes.......!!!!!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by kerrywittig, Apr 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GregTe

GregTe Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Maine
    Shamile, I didn't see either of your cars at Celebration, did you not go?

2. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    #27 KENCO, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
    With the way the market is for TR's at this time, the only way to get back your losses would be to part it out. I would seriously consider doing just that if something like your situ happened to me. I would not want to, but you get to a point were you are putting more into the TR than if you just went out and bought another car.

Any way, I hope all goes well with what ever you decide.

3. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Bummer; let us know what you find. I would hate to see this car parted oiut....

4. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    She's doing all right. I did 500 Km last week and everything just went fantastic!
    But after such a mess last year my bank account got bruised!

5. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    All hoses & wiring have been disconnected & labeled where applicable. All suspension/shock and subframe bolts have been "loosened"......now just waiting for a friend down the road that has a TR and a 328 to share an hour to watch for missed and hiden connections as the engine and subframe are left sitting on the floor as the vehicle is lifted.............

I've already started taking a look at the stock portfolio to see which ones will cover the repairs if not to high.........otherwise it may be best to sell it off bit by bit!

me

6. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #31 kerrywittig, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    5-0,
    I had the tow ring on hand........Got it on & off the rollback by utilizing the slight inclines at each location to get the truck deck to be remain "more" level,(less of a transition from the tilted deck to the ground). Also implemented a couple of strategically placed 2 X 8's with some blocks to support the spans............made for an easy on and off........

Check out the pix below.......off loading of TR and driving it to the load on with 4 Manpower versus 400 Horsepower!!

I tried to looked good though, should have been more exuberate, by demontrating my signature one finger parade wave!!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    I have been looking into this and it seems that it could be a great money maker. I have already seen doors going for 3K, dash pods for 1K, transmissions going for 15-20K and so on. It may take some time but it looks like someone could make a little money on there TR, you do not hear that to often anymore.

8. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Shoot me a PM if you get it going again. I am close to Ithaca. Close and lived here all my life. Never seen your car out though.

9. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

OK....you could do this....but.....what could you buy? This will take you a long time and you don't have a car to use in the mean time. So, in a sense, you own and have money in two cars.

While you are parting out one, you have to buy the other. Did you take a loan for the second? How much would a second TR or 355 cost vs. repairing the TR you already have. How much money has already gone into the car you now own....meaning, it's in good shape and you've been keeping up with maintenance. Soooo.....what about the second car? How much will you have to put in it.....after you put money in to buy it?

Sometimes the "numbers" don't add up on a quick glance. If Kerry really wants a 355, I hope he has read the threads....headers, broken valves, sticky switchgear, burned computer modules...

Sure...I love the look of a 355...the last true angular Ferrari look. But....I like a TR better, wider, more exotic and 12 cylinders baby!

....and old truly reliable fuel injection, simple reliable computers and one of the best motors Ferrari built. How many burned TR valves or internal engine issues have we seen on this forum?

Kerry, once you get over the anguish and the "screw this piece of crap"...run your numbers, it may be much cheaper to repair it.....slowly if need be.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

10. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Shamile,

Don't let your heart get in the way of business, you should know that being a business owner yourself.

Kerry needs to pick a path and stick to it.

Parting out could return 100K or more, in the state the cars in now it is worth 20K if that.

Besides, he can just pick up a C5 Z06 to tool around in for cheap, until he gets another Ferrari.

11. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Hi Kenco,

no....I was really thinking from a numbers point of view. The money to buy a "zo 6" would cost more than the repair. I think it would take quite awhile to sell off all the parts on his TR. Yes, I agree, he would make allot of money.....especially for those twist locks :D

....but the time it takes...

Also, Kerry can do an engine out....perhaps what he finds will determine the course of action. I've heard a valve redo with minor piston resurfacing....about $20K Do you think more?

Rifledriver.....your thoughts on cost please....

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

I

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

My thoughts are you all ought to quit predicting doom and gloom and find out what is wrong.

13. Triton

Triton Karting

May 17, 2009
    Boston - Metro West
    Full Name:
    Paul M
    Guy's,
    This is sure awful but -why have you got Kerry's car parted out already...he hasn't even got the engine out of the car yet.
    It sounds like the car was at idle and he shut it right off...lets all hope for the best and wish our friend good luck.

14. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Shamile, either way, both strategies have merit, everyone is entitled to there opinion.

We are not predicting doom, we are very positive, but there is nothing wrong with having a plan B.

15. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Kerry started it! He mentioned it twice in two separate posts. I was just doing as I always do............thinking ......."hmmm, how much money could I make if I parted out every piece..........."

16. Triton

Triton Karting

May 17, 2009
    Boston - Metro West
    Full Name:
    Paul M
    No doubt I have been guilty of the same thoughts - everytime I buy something in a little yellow box..." this car must be worth a $million dollars in pieces" !
    Then - reality set in, I would be miserable with out my Testarossa.
    I was one of the guys who spent about $900 bucks last year year for a piece of insulation so the car would be factory correct.

Kerry, hope you find something wrong that doesn't break your bank account and gets you back out there enjoying that beautiful black horse.

17. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    How much is a complete engine from one of the wreckers? I thought I saw $8000 once???Or was it Ebay?? Then he could sell off the broken engine in smaller parts ..maybe making the $8000 back?

18. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #43 Spasso, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
    I recall a while back that the drive chain for the oil pump (?) in a fellow member's TR let go causing a similar ruckus. It was an '86 TR.
    I believe there was update for that in the later cars.

Brian Crall would know more about this.

Hopefully an issue like this would not be as damaging as valves hitting pistons.

19. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    #44 Hawaii, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
    I remember that too. I believe the 90-91 cars had the update from the factory on that chain. I think there was a water pump and accessory belt pulley upgrade too?

20. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    The accessory belt went to a wider multi-rib type. My 88.5 has that. Not sure when it started.

21. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    My 87 has the same ribbed belt.

P

22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I think in 87 they went to an endless oil pump chain. We had approval to replace the chain on every car we already had the motor out of for some time.

Very rare to see a problem with the chains with a master link.

23. Darkhorse575

Darkhorse575 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    DJ
    If so, in terms of liquidity, you'll be on the sidelines without a ride for a while. Honestly, this thread is putting a lump in my throat and causing a little eye welling. I feel your pain, but please hang in there a while before you decide to butcher or... "part... o....", I can't even bring myself to say it.

24. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Hmmm....

It might be nice to know what potential costs could be from an expert on awful possiblities.....

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

25. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    The oil pressure reading was 85 lbs. when and while the "ruckus" was occuring!!......

By the way thanks to all for prayers?, condolences,tender feelings, benevolence, charity, clemency, commiseration, compunction, consideration, empathy, fellow feelings, grace, humaneness, humanity, kindness, lenity, mercy, softheartedness, softness, sorrow, sympathy, tenderheartedness, tenderness, yearning
    and crossed fingers. With the occasional "Quit your whining baby jesus!"

..............I should have a clue as to what took place by next weekend............if anyone does know of a TR engine sitting about for sale with a "known" history and a price let me know......I am expecting the worst and therefore anything short of junk, will allow me to say, "It coulda been worse!"