Bleed brakes and f1 fluid with no sd2? | FerrariChat

Bleed brakes and f1 fluid with no sd2?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Fmax, Apr 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    As in the title, can you bleed the brakes and f1 system without the computer? I guess the brakes you can just pump it with 2 people but not sure about f1 pump.

Also how often should the coolant be replaced. Cannot find that anywhere. The new ink stuff has a 5 year life but I bet Ferrari say replace it every year.

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    The ABS has a separate reservoir so typical bleeding processes won't clear everything. I guess you could do it by bleeding the brakes. Go for a drive and lock them up a few times. Then repeat the bleed process.

As for F1, you can clear a couple of the lines because you can go to N, R, 1, and 2. Without an SD you can't cycle the actuators that will get 3,4 and 5,6 so you can't clear the old fluid. Like the brakes you could do it twice and probably get it done.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #3 tazandjan, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Max- The coolant should be flushed and changed every 2-3 years. Change interval is not in any of the late model Ferraris, for whatever reason. Permanent anti-freeze is a joke. On your brakes, no sweat with bleeding. Assume you are doing an annual change, so remember to bleed the clutch system, too, and there is also a bleed for the master cylinder. F1 fluid does not normally need to be changed, just topped up. Here is the latest tech bulletin on how to top off the F1 fluid.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Terry, F1 and P.S. fluids get pretty hot and should be changed. We suck them out and refill during fluid changes. Complete draining is not required. The constant infusion of new fluid is enough.

On the F1 and ABS systems. "Changing" fluid does not require the SD. "Bleeding" does. They are distinctly different operations.

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- Thanks. I had not seen that before on the F1 fluid. Pulling it out seems a good way to proceed without having to bleed every time. How often, since it is not spelled out in any tech data?

I change my P.S. fluid every two years. Last time put in Dexron VI and that proved to be a mistake because I now have slight weeping from the seals. Back to Dexron III, I guess. What do you use for power steering and F1 fluids?

Taz
    Terry phillips

6. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Ferrari uses the Shell donax TA for power steering fluid.

7. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    Brian,
    Im planing on upgrade my front brake system. Two months ago a change my brake fluid and bleed the system. My question is; Do I need to replace the brake fluid again and bleed the system again? Im trying to avoid the SD2 thing.

8. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    How did you do it last time?

If you only need to top up and not bleed, I am trying to think of when you would need to completely bleed it? Could someone give me an example?

Same goes for the F1 system.

9. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    Last time it was at the dealer. But here you need like two months of waiting to get a appointment. That is why I really need to know if I can install those new brake system without use that damm computer :)

10. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    Well from what is said above, I guess you should drain as much as possible, put on your new brakes, reconnect and add the new brake fluid.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    D- you do not need to use an SD2/3 for what you are planning on doing. I am replacing my front brakes with MovIt ceramics and an SD2/3 will never get anywhere near my F1 575M during the swap.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

12. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    That is what I need to know!
    Thank you guys Taz and Max

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I agree with Terry. After disconnecting the lines cap them off with something to prevent the system from going dry just from the leakage. Then bleed as normal afterword.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

We use Redline D4 in steering. It's a Dex3 equivalent.

In F1 for late 360 and 575 we use the Tutela.

Seeping low pressure hoses happens to all 550 and 575 sooner or later. The hose is no good. We use a bulk hose from Goodyear we get from the hose shop. It is pretty cheap and a better hose. There is a hose restrictor in one of your hoses that needs to be installed in the new hose.

15. away

away Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2004
    Lansdale, PA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    If one wanted to replace their brake fluid with a higher temp rated fluid it would be necessary to have it completely bled with the SD2 I'd assume?

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Andrew- No SD2 required to bleed brakes, change pads, change calipers, change brake lines, change brake fluid, etc. SD2 very handy for setting PIS on F1 clutches, ECU analysis, etc, but not for this kind of work.

Brian- Thanks for the advice. May ask you for your source of completed hoses one of these days if the Dexron III does not cure the weeping. I hate it when anything is not working perfectly.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

17. away

away Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2004
    Lansdale, PA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Righto Terry. I didn't know if the ABS had to be cycled in order to get ALL the fluid out when changing to an uprated spec fluid. If the old manual way works, all the better.

18. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Can an F1 clutch be bled w/o the SD2/3 and if so what would be the proper procedure? Brian mentioned earlier that it is O.K to suck out both the steering and F1 fluids, could the procedure for that be explained also? Can a DEX III be mixed with whatever fluid remains in my steering system (I'm assuming it's Donax TA or DEX IIe) after most of it gets sucked out? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The ABS unit holds very little fluid. There is a larger percentage of oil leaft in the motor or trans when changing those. The only way to get it all out is to take it apart and use a Q tip.

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No

21. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    LOL!!!!

22. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    Still no clarification between bleeding the f1 clutch and changing the fluids with out SD.

so correct me if I am wrong.

1) Doing f1 fluid change (without SD) means getting as much as you can out of the container and hoses, then top up with new.

2) To Bleed, you need the SD but I am not sure why you would need to bleed when a fluid change is sufficient.

23. away

away Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2004
    Lansdale, PA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Max,

I believe bleeding the F1 system is necessary in the event of any air in the hydraulic lines. Simply sucking out/refilling introduces a good amount of fresh fluid into the system which as Brian mentioned is often good enough.

What I've always wondered is how air gets in the hydraulic lines to begin with? A loose fitting? Overheating of the fluid?

24. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    Thinking about it if you drain as much as you can you will be left with empty hoses full of air, then again the same as when you bleed it.

I am still none the wiser :)

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Max- You have to read carefully and I know that is difficult to do in a foreign language. Your English is way better than my Czech, for sure.

What Brian, a real expert, said was: you do not need an SD2/3 for brake work including bleeding. You do need an SD2/3 for complete bleeding of the F1 system, but bleeding is rarely required. Try putting in new F1 fluid and see if it fixes any problem you have. If you still have a problem, take it to someone who knows what they are doing and who has an SD2/3 to do a proper job.

Taz
    Terry Phillips