The Holey Daytona | Page 21 | FerrariChat

The Holey Daytona

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Wheels1, Jan 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Very impressive!

Pete

2. 458 It

458 It Karting
    BANNED

Nov 8, 2009
    Rome
    I really enjoyed this thread .I love Daytonas!

3. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Any updates Grant?

4. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #504 Wheels1, Apr 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's very slow Jack, but the new springs are on after being powerder coated.

Rob has said he will be building up the engine soon.

Pic's from today when i went up with all the new door seals, window seals etc, and i also managed to fine two of the rubber mounts for the reversing lights which are like gold dust to find , they where even the correct ones, with the extra holes in for the rear light drain holes. [ thanks to Hein in Germany].
    Grant
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Slow maybe, but looking great!

Finding small parts (let alone big ones) is very time-consuming, but the satisfaction of putting 'fresh' assemblies onto your car makes it all worthwhile, isn't it?

Is there still a problem with brake discs?

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi Jack
    Well spotted.
    The rear brake discs looked fine, as they get very little use compared to the fronts, but just be be safe Rob has had them skimmed, and they are waiting to be collected. The Brake hoses are still on back order with Ferrari UK though, but they should be coming in the next few weeks [ hopefully]
    Grant

7. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Hope you have it all done in time for some of the British Summer :)

If your going to Auto Italia at Brooklands today, I'll be there this afternoon. Do say Hi if your going.

8. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Sorry Matt.
    I had to work on Sat.
    I hope you had a good time.

9. SWBTom

SWBTom Rookie

May 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tom Bryant
    The car is looking great. It has been a joy following this restoration.

Tom

10. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thanks Tom for you kind comments with your first post.
    I should be going up tomorrow, so hopefully i will bring back some updated photo's.
    Grant

11. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    wow

the suspension and underbody is so clean and thoroughly done that it seems almost a shame to get it dirty with road grime, a conundrum

extremely impressive restoration +1200000

12. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #512 Wheels1, May 21, 2010
    Sorry
    Not a lot to report.
    Rear disc's now on, new bolts have been made to hold the disc's on. I took the windscreen surround to be chromed and they broke it, might be repairable!!!

Pic of rear brake disc's and Spyder rear springs which are different from the coupe.

A problem with the quality of the con-rod nuts from Ferrari i am sorry to say, when i looked at them with Rob, they where very loose on the threads, so we have had to have some more made, and sent those ones back, they fit loads of Ferrari models, so if you are having an engine rebuilt at the moment check carefully as Ferrari said they where within spec. !!!
    Grant

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Bummer about the moulding, are they good for a replacement???

14. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    They are good for repairing it, [ with luck it can be repaired] as it is a no longer available part from Ferrari, not unless any knows where i can get a windscreen surround from, its the same as a coupe, they both use the same windscreen.
    Grant

15. pmallinson

pmallinson Rookie

Apr 9, 2008
    Kenmare Ireland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mallinson
    Grant

This company re-manufacture windscreens for the daytona (as mine is scratched I was contemplating replacing it) Not at all sure though if they do the surround your after but it may be worth dropping then an enquiry to see ?

http://www.sicurvetro.com/

Cheers

Peter M

16. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #516 Wheels1, May 23, 2010
    Hi Pete
    They do not do the surround as far as i am aware, i did check out this company when i bought a new screen for my car, but by the time shipping was added it was almost the same as F-uk in price, [ it may be better for you as you are in Ireland and can't collect from Ferrari] if your scratch is not on the drivers side, it may be able to be professionally polished out with the windscreen still in place.

I am having a problem with the spinner fitment with the new wire wheels, when i bought the Borrani wheels the company said i would be able to use my old spinners, but when Rob tried them they only went on about 1 1/2 turns as with the alloys they went on 4 turns. 1 1/2 is not enough really and i was wounding if anyone else has had the same problem? Here are two pic's, which shows the alloy in place and the threaded part on the splines sticking through about 1/2 an inch and with the Borrani in place they are almost flush, i have checked the number on the wheels and they are the correct ones listed for the Daytona.
    Thanks for your help.
    Grant
    PS I need a Rad fan motor, if anyone has got one, as one of mine got droped!!

17. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Grant,

You spoke about the wheel problem before, and not seeing it pop up again made me think it was resolved, but I forgot to ask.

I don't have a Daytona parts-book, but I have a hard time believing that the wires would have a different hub than the alloys. Checking that is your first port of call.
    Do the same for the spinners. Also check your hubs against factory specs, to make sure that they are conform what the Daytona had new and weren't replaced at some point with another hub/wheel combo, for instance offf a BB if that is at all possible, and if these are not identical. Just exclude any possibility of the hub on the car being wrong.

Then, if logic prevails and both types of wheels are supposed to work on the same hub, check the wheels physically: all of them, not just one, and check them on both front and rear hubs. Just make sure that they all produce the same result.

If that is the case, go to your supplier (MWS?) and ask them to get clarification from Borrani.

18. buurman

buurman Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    cornelis leendert

hello Grant,

the next problem will be that the orginal spinners will touch the outside spokes !
    dangerous.

the center don't look correct to me : outside wires are place too transvesal or centre too short.

Ask Will Tomkins first. F-chat member here better known as "246tasman"

[email protected]

Cornelis

19. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    Re your wire wheels, there was a similar problem with fitting Borranis to my old Maserati. The prior owner and my shop made several discoveries:

1) The easiest way to solve the problem is to machine the back of the wheel hub, but care must be taken to ensure that outer parts of the wheel maintain adequate clearance to brake or suspension components (this should be less of a problem for you than with my big finned drum brakes);

2) There is remarkable variation amongst spinners with the same part number, such that more than a full additional turn can be achieved with some vs others;

3) The outer portion of the spinners can be too deep, such that they tighten down on the spokes rather than the hub. Again the solution is to machine away excess material, from the back of the spinners' outer casing.

Hope this helps.

Don

20. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #520 Wheels1, May 23, 2010
    Thanks Guys.
    I bought the new wheels from Longstone tyres http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/ as they are the agent for Borrani wheels in the UK and MWS did not seem to have a clue when i rang them
    I have ordered a new set a spinners from them, that Borrani are making, but to be honest Longstone tyres did not fill me with confidence that they new what they where doing, and i did not want to spend a lot of money on new spinners if they where not going to work. I will wait for them to arrive and let you know how i get on. if they don't work, i do have an old set of spinners so i could machining out the inside so they will go on further assuming there will still be enough metal to do so and they do not hit the spokes of course.

I have asked a similar question on Daytona reg. and for sure there are two different sized spinners with the hex head as "Timo" posted a photo [ His pic below]. One guy said he used the same spinners for each type of wheel, so i was just trying to get so more help and see what other people do.

The spinners where ordered a few months ago so lets hope Borrani know what they are doing and produce the correct ones, they should do as they have been doing it long enough.
    Thanks for your advise as always
    Grant

21. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    Below is an extract from an email I received from Borrani when I bought some wheels from them in 2005. I think it might help to clarify the wheel nut issue;

"About the wheel nuts (gallettoni) your order concern 6 pieces. Well, i believe the first pair is a regular 3 eared knock-off for Ferrari should those be 1 left and 1 right ?pair , 2th pair Daytona style (long one) same question 1 right and 1 left ? 3 pair ...if you're askin for Daytona nuts,are avaible only with Ferrari logo. With Borrani logo we manufacture only the regular size nut that for Daytonas won't have enough turns to be safe."

Regards

WM

22. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Grant,

The photo makes sense: the larger spinner grips the wheel on a machined surface (inside) whereas the smaller nut clamps on the nose of the hub, which is not machined for trueness.
    The same applies when you try to balance wirewheels on a machine, you need a cone instead of the normally used nut.

I find it strange that MWS would be unable to advise you there: speak to Isabella Zethofer, she'll either answer your query or direct you to the correct source of info. Please give her my regards!

Btw, MWS used to sell replica Ferrari-spinners, which were not very expensive, but I do not know what wheel they were configured for and if they still carry them.

23. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #523 PSk, May 24, 2010
    BTW, aren't those small plates between the 2 bolt pairs locking plates and thus need their ends bent up against the bolt heads ??

Best
    Pete

24. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #524 Wheels1, May 25, 2010
    Pete
    Don't worry they are not fully assembled yet, and the tabs will be bent over last thing.

I sent the photos to Longstone tyres and asked if the new spinners that Borrani are making would solve the problem, [ answer below]. It looks like the inside is deeper with alot more threads on the inside of the spinners, but i should know for sure in a few weeks when they arrive.
    Thanks for your help guys.
    Grant

" Hi Grant,
    yes they will solve the problem!
    they are made with extra length (!) please see attached pictures.
    My apologies for the delay in supply, these have been cast and are at the chrome platers as we speak, I will let you know as soon as I know more! "

25. dmn23

dmn23 Karting

Nov 9, 2006
    This whole thread is absolutely mind-boggling. Cheers to everyone involved.