USF1 asset auction | FerrariChat

USF1 asset auction

Discussion in 'F1' started by Ney, Jun 10, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    #1 Ney, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
    All remaining inventory from USF1 up for auction including the Haas units. Poster of Jim Clark is missing, but Gurney Eagle is there for the taking. Not a single manufactured car component in the auction other then the chassis mock up (lot 162) and one wheel. You can buy PeeWee's Dyson vacuum (lot 400), but no toasters.

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/imagegallery.php?gallery=10981&page=1

2. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    You beat me to it!

Frank

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    from Crash.net

USF1 dream finally comes to an end
    Thu, 10 Jun 15:40:14 2010

Buzz Up!
    The final nail will be driven into the coffin of the USF1 Team later today when the contents of the team’s Charlotte base go up for auction.

The team, headed by Peter Windsor and Ken Anderson, was due to join the F1 this season but failed to find the funding needed to take its place on the grid.

Although the team hoped to delay its entry until 2011, the fact that the team was unable to take its place as scheduled proved to be the beginning of the end, with the FIA starting a tender process to find a replacement for next season.

With USF1 having been closed down, the contents of the Charlotte factory will now go up for sale in an auction starting at 09.30 local time.

The auction includes various items of office furniture and equipment needed to try and put a race team together, although there is a distinct lack of items that relate directly to an actual F1 car.

The list of auction items can be viewed if you CLICK HERE.

3. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #3 Peloton25, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I got here before the edit and was like - 'hey wait a minute' - when I saw #162.

I wish there was something in those lots that I needed as I'd love to have a piece of F1 history. ;)

>8^)
    ER
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    #4 Ney, Jun 10, 2010
    Yeah, I missed 162 on my first pass and had to edit. Current bid on it is $133 + 16% buyers Premium. Cool piece for the game room with an Xbox set up!

5. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
  6. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
  7. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    It does, but I remember seeing that in their BS videos and it is full size. I am only hesitating to bid because I couldn't even guess that shipping would cost.

Mark

8. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Wow; there's a ton of stuff! Some of those tool cabinets look beautiful...

9. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    #9 Ney, Jun 10, 2010
    Go for it! A flight to Charlotte and a Budget truck back home would still be worth it if you get it cheap enough. Buy the box truck #149 and save the rental truck fee.

10. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    My wife's bday is only 35 days away....

Mark

11. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Just let us know if you need a place to stay while she cools off........:D

12. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Where is the lego set for mock-up wind tunnel runs?

13. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    #13 zaevor2000, Jun 10, 2010
    Just strap it to the top of your SUV! Shipping costs solved.

Be interesting to see the looks of people going by with a race car strapped to your roof...

:D

Frank

14. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Dayum! Those boys "acquired" some serious kit.....

Most of it (I checked some of the 'puters and machine tools) hasn't even got a bid.

I haven't checked the T&C's - Anyone know how long it lasts? IIRC, SRT_Mike was thinking about bidding on some of the heavy equipment (?) - I certainly don't know, but suspect Haas may be buying some of CNC machines etc back to refurb and resell - Surely they're not gonna let them go for under $2k?

Cheers,
    Ian

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 No big deal - It doesn't weigh a lot after all.

We once "hand carried" a new tub to the airport "weird **** check-in" desk and IIRC it didn't even cost that much to take it with us.....

Cheers,
    Ian

16. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    refurb....heck, I don't think they were ever turned on by the first owner......:)
    The autoclave is not listed, so must not have been owned. Can be seen in the background of Lot #107

17. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I am bidding on several of the CNC machines and a bunch of other equipment, and if I win anything I will likely be sending one of my guys down there with a box truck to pick it up... so if anyone is interested in bidding I may be able to help pick up and ship small things by UPS.

Depends if I win any of my bids of course.

18. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D Indeed! *Boxes* of really nice, presumably brand new kit..... I'm tempted by a 'puter or two, but Charlotte is a long way from me.

+1 Wonder where that went? [Weren't there two at one point?]

I wish I could come up with a use for the 3D model builder thing ;)

BTW, did anyone ever notice what the ex-Brawn trailers sold for? IIRC, they were at about $30K last I looked.

Cheers,
    Ian

19. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Very cool.

I was wondering where you were at - I was about to email you given your previously expressed interest in the CNC kit. Good luck with your bids - Please let us know how it goes!

Cheers,
    Ian

20. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Meh... the stuff is going for pretty steep prices. Well, not BAD prices but considering the cost to get it up to Boston, it makes it kind of $$$.

FWIW the race car shell went for $7750.

It's easy to toss a bunch of small stuff in if you buy a big machine, but much harder to justify buying little stuff if I gotta send someone down to get it.

We shall see!

21. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    CNC machine for under $2K = Bargain of the century.

22. JoeGuitar

JoeGuitar Formula Junior

May 27, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Oh yeah and then some. I mean there are MANY bargains in that auction so far. I suspect people will jump in soon enough.

23. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    #23 SRT Mike, Jun 10, 2010
    The CNC machines went for more than they should have, IMO.

The auction is live (going on right as I type this), not an eBay style auction... but they let you put in bids online in advance if you're registered. So the prices you guys are seeing online are just the super-duper lowball prices people put in online before the auction actually started... sort of like seeing a Ferrari on eBay for $5k with 9 days to go... it will go up a lot from there.

Most of the prices were crazy high. For example, they had two Haas SL20 lathes. One of them went for $46,200 the other went for $47,500. Those are 2009 models (granted lightly used - haha). But sticker on a brand new 2010 model SL20 is $49,900. And that's before you beat the sales guy up on price. The ones shown in the auction had some options, but I still think they went for near retail prices. The used TL-1 went for $23k. It has an MSRP brand new of $22.9k.

The VF-7 milling machine went for $115k. It has an MSRP of $119k new from Haas. The VF4's went for $85k each, they have an MSRP of $64k new from Haas (USF1's had some options on them).

The VF5 5-axis machine was a pretty good deal... new it is $135k and this one sold for $115k, and it has some options... but Haas isn't big in the 5-axis world, so that was probably market value as well.

The other prices were kind of nuts... people spending $700 for 6 tool holders? That's pretty much MSRP.

The SL20's and VF4's were what I was interested in... honestly, I have a quote in my hands from Haas for less than those machines sold for.

Disappointed :(

24. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Wow! Just wow! Firstly, thanks for posting the gory details, and sorry you didn't get "the deal of the century!" I dunno, but guess "people" get carried away at auctions (?) OTOH, surely if you're in the market for an SL20 etc, you too have an idea of what Haas is charging right now?

Cheers,
    Ian

25. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    Yeah, very few bargains. The few PCs that were already up went for nearly the new cost if not more. Stupid. Plus the buyer's premium! Reminds me of folks spending TOP dollar on non-collectible cars at Barrett-Jackson (like current model corvettes).