Anything going on in Greenwich this Sunday 6/20/10 | FerrariChat

Anything going on in Greenwich this Sunday 6/20/10

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by kenny1022, Jun 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    #1 kenny1022, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
    Thinking about driving up to Greenwich from Jersey to meet a chick this Sunday. Anything going on that day?

Oh and any romantic restaurant recommendations for dinner without valet messing up my ride?

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #2 Ashman, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
    Test her out and take her to the Hartford Concorso Ferrari show on Sunday.

If she is still talking to you afterward, she has promise and you can reward her with a nice dinner at Thomas Henkelmann restaurant at the Homestead Inn www.thomashenkelmann.com or maybe Jean-Louis www.restaurantjeanlouis.com one of my favorites.

3. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    great recommendations according to zagats! safe for me to take and park the f-car? will valet let me do it myself?

4. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Henkelmann's has a valet but it should be no problem self-parking in their big lot. J-L may have valet (its a small place and I don't think they have it, but I wouldn't use it anyway) but there also is not a big dedicated lot on their street. You would need to park on the street or there are some municipal lots nearby.

5. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    #5 kenny1022, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
    Which restaurant do you prefer? I want a place that would set off the sparks for a second date but not too stuffy if possible.

Thanks again.

Ken

6. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #6 Ashman, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
    Based solely on romantic setting to impress a date, I would say Henkelmann's. Both of these places have their degree of formality in their service. I wouldn't call either one stuffy but neither one is full of hip waitstaff.

Wouldn't taking her to the Concorso be enough to set off sparks for a second date? :D ;)

7. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Ken,

I would suggest L'escale restaurant (which is at the Delamar (hotel) on Greenwich Harbor). The restaurant is really quite beautiful and you have the choice of sitting inside or outside. It is right on the water. The food is very, very good. The food is not as good as Thomas Henkelmann's, but the atmosphere is much more relaxed. I would say that this would be a better choice for a first date:

http://www.lescalerestaurant.com/

8. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    thanks again. l'escale might be the pick assuming the weather works. f-car friendly? can i self-park? i don't really have to wear a jacket do i?

9. G-NYC

G-NYC Rookie

Apr 29, 2010
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Geoff
    l'escale has valets and generally has its share of nice cars, I wouldn't be surprised if they let you self park and keep an eye on it... but I have never taken an fcar there (didn't have one when I worked in greenwich). I have eaten there both with and without a coat, so you should be fine with no coat unless it's changed in the last year or so

10. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    #10 kenny1022, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    F-car friendly. When I was there for the Greenwich concours, there was a California Spyder parked out front (a real California Spyder, btw).

12. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    That would have been my next suggestion. Forecast is for hot and sunny on Sunday, could be nice sitting overlooking the water, even if it is just an inlet. Don't forget a reservation since it is Father's Day.

Attended a cocktail party down the road a bit further from the Delamar the other night when the weather was gorgeous and it was fun watching a few boats coming in.

13. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    #13 kenny1022, Jun 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
    All set at L'Escale. I almost couldn't get a rez until 9.30 on Saturday but I pulled some strings with the amex centurion card and was able to get a 8.30. Hopefully sitting outside by the water. Should be good weather.

Any good recommendations for a drink afterwards?

14. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    You know we will need photographic documentation of your date, don't you?

As for drinks after, I'll let some of the younger, hipper types chime in on which are the current hot spots on the Avenue this week.

15. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    arghh i had to move it to sunday afternoon. welcome to my life. do you think i should do the f-car event up there? do i have to register?

16. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    You would have to register to display your car but there is no charge to just come and spectate. It's at the State House right in downtown Hartford and is probably about 1 1/2 hours from Greenwich. 80 plus Ferraris are registered.

17. air540boarder

air540boarder Karting

Apr 6, 2010
    CT
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Hey guys,

I'm most likely heading up to the show tomorrow with my father! I have yet to meet up with any CT f-Chat members, so who may I have the honorable first intro with, and where will you be?

- Lee

18. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    There also is a caffeine and carburetors meet on Sunday morning at Zumbach's coffee shop in New Canaan. Probably 100+ cars to socialize over with free coffee and breakfast and then a short tour.

19. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Sooooooo, how'd everything go yesterday? TTIWWP! :D

20. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    #20 kenny1022, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
    Plans changed from a Saturday evening to meeting for lunch on Sunday. Met in NYC for brunch, then did the stroll around the park before doing dessert. It turns out she had a few crappy dates at L'Escale and considers it the typical out-of-towners' place to go to impress a chick so perhaps maybe it was for the best.

I was thinking about doing the event in Hartford at first but it would have been too long a drive, maybe another time.

Thanks again for the help!

21. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm not reading a lot of romantic sparks in that report...........

She's right about L'Escale, nice enough place, you just get the feeling that most of the people there are trying a bit too hard to appear whatever.

22. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2005
    Clifton, NJ
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    well if you're taking out the black card, you may look like you're trying to hard either way.

23. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    #23 kenny1022, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
    haha good one