FYI - Dubbini Fakes | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FYI - Dubbini Fakes

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Jun 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Isn't that the truth.........there are some quite legitimate and public stories around about the con men in the art world. No surprise here about F-cars either.........makes you wonder if any were "Classiche" certified.

2. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Wouldn't that be the ultimate irony!

Jeff

3. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #28 GIOTTO, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    CornishCarSpotter likes this.
  4. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    :eek: Whoa... what on Earth could you salvage from that? :confused:

5. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Are you kidding? You could salvage at least 4 or 5 Ferrari's from that!

Terry

till.a.fischer and wbaeumer like this.
  6. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I am confused a bit. Are they being accused of 'resurrecting' chassis and the accompanying chassis #s with with parts off of other cars or are they being accused of falsifying the chassis numbers themselves?

7. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Aluminum body can be totally ripped off with chassis remaining intact. I would like to see the football and women's underwear content taken to someplace else.

Best wishes, Kare

8. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That car looks pretty mangled, wouldn't the chassis itself have been damaged by an incident as severe as that?

Sorry about that Kare, it's actually part of my signature and a bit of banter with some of the moderators. I've sent you some instructions via PM for blocking it from your view by changing one of the forum options. :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.

9. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    Yes. It is called the "Ship of Theseus" paridox .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

I was at the Mercedes Benz classic center a few years ago talking with the director Mr Peter Speith. He said that of the 29 1929 SSK built some 50 exist. The Mercedes Benz was party to a lawsuit for selling and or helping procure parts for cars thet were cut up and rebuilt into two or more seperate cars all with the same serial numbers.

10. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    On a similar note the late Boyd Coddington plead guilty to a Ship of Theseus fraud in California for hot rods.

11. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Cool... never heard of that!

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

12. Michele

Michele Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    The Hague, Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel Mulder
    In the 1980's, Bugatti's were chopped up as well: using the engine, chassis and body for replica's makes three new cars with original numbers....

13. odin

odin Karting

Nov 22, 2007
    I think, it's quite common for some 'collectors'.
    Corrado Cupellini, Egon Hofer, Rodney Felton and David Piper did the same.
    Now other collectors are doing Recreations, of lost Racing Cars, based on standart chassis, called Specials and this cars are selling for higher prices, than original cars.

14. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
  15. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    There's a big different from fully disclosing what you're doing and not and what something is and what it's not.

From what I understand these guys have been accused of outright fraud.

Cool (Fully Disclosed) Project BTW.

16. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

stop wasting your time posting in this thread...please get back to work and finish that amazing machine. i wish, i wish, i wish i had the talent to build something so spectacular!!!

17. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    And completely different than cutting up a perfectly good car to make something to compensate for your small.....

George

18. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    #43 andymont, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
    The story starts from a vengeance of an unfaithful manager fired several years ago from the Dubbini's company. He wrote an anonymous letter to the Ferrari that reported the matter to the police.
    So the police , after an investigation completed on last march, decided to seize four cars, more an engine.
    Mr.Dubbini, after being questioned by the judge two days ago, now accuses Mr. Montezemolo to have acted with extreme superficiality in forwarding the letter to the police without trying to understand how the facts effectively were.
    One of the four cars has been now released from seizure because has been deemed genuine.

Ciao

Andrea

19. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I have been looking for a good place for "one man's opinion" and this is it. Ok what is meant by"accurately reproduced". "majority of parts", "similar vintage" "proper chassis and engine" ? Let's take the Venus de Milo statue. Can another similar statue, made from marble from the same quarry, using similar tools,parts from similar originals of the period and done during the same period as the original, be considered as the original? Of course not! Until the rules for "original" are clearly defined by Classiche and a category clearly defined for "reproductions" this nonsence is going to go on.I have built and drive a reproduction and anyone with a good idea can recognise it for what it is. Anyone who askes is imediatly told it is a kit car. And you know, the answer always is WOW[or something similar] it's beautiful. So let's some of you experts get behind organising something that will bring some sanity to this reproduction thing. just one man's o[pinion tongascrew

20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Thanks. Very interesting.

21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Kare- It is a running joke on FChat that the moderators are changing Andrew's signature, so he has nothing to do with the content. Maybe now that you know that, it will not bother you so much.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

22. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  23. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    "Andrew"'s very existence, like that of some of these cars, has been questioned by experts in the field.

;)

24. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    #49 andymont, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
    I can't tolerate anymore, to see more and more fakes and forgers moving in our world of enthusiasts.
    I always naively hope for a serious intervention of the international authorities that govern our movement.
    But, what should I think, when I see the ASI president (AutoMotoclub Storico Italiano - Italian Historic Cars and Bikes Federation ), the most representative member of the italian collectioners, riding shameless, on his mispresented as genuine Alvis 12/70 S , when even the rocks know that this car is the result of a modern reconstruction started from a more common saloon car ?
    This is a real shame.

Ciao

Andrea

25. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Well, that's not entirely accurate. While I haven't written what's currently in the signature, I have the power to remove what has been placed there at any time. I enjoy the banter, so have voluntarily left the additions by the moderators in place. :)

:D

It's interesting to see Luca de Montezemolo making noises on behalf of Ferrari to see punishments meted out over this. I guess they really feel that there's enough truth in the speculations to see specific charges answered for.

What will happen for the owners if it is proven that their cars are not genuine historic Ferraris? Will they be compensated the difference between the "historic" price and what would be a "replica"/non-historic price for that car?

All the best,
    Andrew.