Maserati Khamsin | Page 79 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #1951 au-yt, Jul 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
    Any tips on removal, rebuilding, installation will be sincerely appreciated...
    As always, I really appreciate the help...

Hi Mike
    The actuator main piston isnt held in with any thing just the actuating rod. You may some fun getting the piston out as the only way pressure gets to the piston is via the shuttle valve.
    The schuttle valve moves as a result of the pressure from the master cylinder, once the valve moves system pressure pushes the piston.

Another thought check all the lines to actuator to make sure they are cracked. My return line banjo was craked and it leaked/dripped.

There is a remote chance that the schuttle vale is also warn (common) there isnt much you can do except have the total unit overhauled.

Pleiades in the UK overhauled all my Hydraulics and its done on an exchange basis only problem I cannot find there web link.
    Here is link to a copy of there cataloge these people may be able to help.
    http://agua.nu/ds-files/tony-jackson/red-cd/Parts%20Suppliers%20etc/Pleiades.pdf
    Regards
    Graeme

2. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
  3. paul328

paul328 Formula Junior

May 5, 2009
    Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Santoni
    #1953 paul328, Jul 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey Guys
    Have had a vibration which I thought was coming from back of car so been trying various things to find a solution. Had the new exhaust slightly altered; that made no difference; then decided to get the wheels rebalanced. As you know it's more difficult than other cars due to getting anyone with a machine that could do it. As I was dow for the Goodwood FofS I decided to pass by McGraths and get them to rebalance the rears. Seems to have made a difference but still think there is a vibration from the back at about 70+mph. Doesnt seem to go away although i have been trying very very hard to drive legally! ( in the UK dual carriagewas have a 70mph limit)

If anyone any ideas let me know

Paul
    xx
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Paul: the vibration stops ABOVE 160Mph;-)

5. paul328

paul328 Formula Junior

May 5, 2009
    Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Santoni
    OK Marc
    will come over to germany and give it a try!
    so far ever been above 135mph and keen to try the car at very high speed!
    It does feel a genuine 160 car!
    When is the book coming out? Was chatting at McGraths today as Andy has put all his books outside the office and some chairs as a waiting area for customers. No single Khamsin book. Hint hint!
    If you are publishing this year please put me down for a signed copy. One of my friends is publishing this year on a photographic book of famous people he has met ( a lot) and is using some form of on line limited publishing to minimise risk and cost. Happy to put you two in contact if you havent got a publishing deal sorted? I may use the same idea when I get around to my planned book on architecture in glasgow
    Paul
    xx

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #1956 Nembo1777, Jul 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
    Well I aim to finish this summer, before the International Maserati club meet in Sweden in September. This is a far more complex book than the Breadvan one and even than the one I finished two years and 3 months ago but which my co author STILL has not finished. He is Scottish like you by the way! No I don't want to discuss the bas*%&d here.

I have now driven every car covered in the book including QPII, Bora Group 4 and have far too much interview data and archive photos so it is a matter of painful choices.

Tim Parker is publishing all three books and editions Drivers in France will do a French version of the Maserati book which I hasten to add is Maserati the Citroën years 1968-1975 so neither a Khamsin book nor another general history book however the Khamsin part will be by far the longest , most information filled ever published of course that's like saying the only girl in the room is the prettiest: sad but true there has never been a decent chapter on Khamsins in any book. I want to really give it its due. About time too.

The actual printing of the book will not take place before end of 2010 most likely early 2011.

Best of luck with your architecture book I think I saw somewhere photos of other cars under that archway you once used to shoot your Khamsin.

best regards,

Marc

7. paul328

paul328 Formula Junior

May 5, 2009
    Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Santoni
    #1957 paul328, Jul 5, 2010
    Hi Marc

I did some pics of my countch there and then it with another two lambos. here is a pic.

Anyway,put me down for first copies of your books. Happy to give advance payment for them if this helps with your publisher

Paul
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    It's my favourite book already!

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #1959 Nembo1777, Jul 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
    Superb photo and the Glasgow boys banner suits the cars too but not in the initially intended sense!

Thank you for the offer but showing this forum to Tim Parker is enough to prove the enthusiams and I would not feel right getting a penny from readers before finishing the job!

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Bedankt Sir!

11. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #1961 AMLC, Jul 5, 2010
  12. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #1962 AMLC, Jul 5, 2010
  13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    AM120076 owned by Ulf who contributes some of the most interesting posts here.

Next to it is the Bora Gr4 of my friend Johan Helenius, who did a fantastic job on that car, as always.

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    ...and AM120082 also in Sweden, a very attractive car despite, as Bob mentioned the Jaguar rear view mirrors.

Right: dinner time good night!

MS

15. paul328

paul328 Formula Junior

May 5, 2009
    Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Santoni
    we are nearly at page 100!!
    I think Marc should be the person to first post on page 100!!
    Paul
    xxx

16. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Marc,
    I don`t think that this car doesn`t match any of Gr4-specification! IMO its a pitty that a rare car like the Bora, that was made in only 571 examples, was modified like this.

Same with the car that was "converted" in France!

Ciao!
    Walter

17. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Paul...

I was giving some thought to your vibration issue... I'm sure you considered this,
    but have you looked in the storage area in the left rear fender... Perhaps something
    small slid down in there and is rumbling around...

Mike

18. paul328

paul328 Formula Junior

May 5, 2009
    Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Santoni
    Hi
    the vibration was quite severe and could be felt through the entire car and was quite uncomfortable in such a generally refined car. It felt like wheel imbalance but didnt seem to go away completely after it kicked in about 74+mph and was worst at 78-82 although I couldnt say more as I didnt want to get speeding tickets!
    there was no real play in the bearing and no bearing grumble; the dampers seemed ok; the exhaust ha been repositioned; The exhuast is very tiht and no sure if it's a low frequency rumble, but used different gears at different engine revs and is speed not engine revs
    Could be prop shaft balance?
    Will rebalance front wheels too when I get home
    Paul
    xx

19. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Correction:I don`t think that this car match any of Gr4-specification!

Ciao!
    Walter

20. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #1970 au-yt, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
    Paul
    The Prop shaft is quite short and should be balanced.
    The gearbox has one mount the Diff has two hanging supports and two reaction mounts
    Have you checked the drive shaft CVs are tight?
    Especially the left hand inner, if some has changed the hardener belt an not tightended the CV this could be a good source of the problem.

Regards
    Graeme

21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Paul: thanks I hope to be able to post lots of Khamsin photos and data after Le Mans Classic this weekend, where I hope to see many k's!

By the way who is coming?

PM me for cell phone number exchanges.

Walter I understand your feelings on Johan's Bora but they are not endangered like 250GTE's: we are talking about two cars over more than 500.

I will report from the Artcurial auction on the Khamsin they offer Friday night but am mailny going there for the racing:)!

best regards,

Marc

22. paul328

paul328 Formula Junior

May 5, 2009
    Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Santoni
    Hi
    I drove 380 miles home today and had vibration sometimes at speed and sometimes not! Will try that Graeme and see.
    Had a problem about 10 miles from home when water temp went up suddenly. fortunately a friend with a recovery business lived just off the motorway so went to her house and got car lifted back!
    Think it could be a stuck thermostat or possibly waterpump! Let car cool and then started again but temp went up very quickly. Belts for pump seem ok and think can see it spin so thinking is thermostat.
    Why does it always happen to me!
    Driven about 900 miles in past week and do enjoy the car. had some nice country roads to drive on and car was flying and making an amazing noise!
    Paul
    xx

23. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Hi Paul
    I do feel for you if its not one thing its another been there hate it.

Switch for the fans could be the place to start.

Be carefull with over heating the fans dont cope that well. The Australian experience here in sydney with the stock radiator any thing about 28 to 30 C in traffic and they will overheat. Simplest cure is an ally radiator they actually run cool and need a higher temp thermostate ( mercedes)

Worst case possibilities are,
    Thermostats generally fail open and the restrictor still works and the car takes ages to warm up.
    Did you notice any steam in exhaust? Head gasket?

Is there a strange high pitch ding from the frount? If the drive cable has broken there should be a strange noise this is the fail safe pin for the pump some times people change the aircon pump and dont replace the fail safe drive.

The pumps are fairly robust but early cars dont have the two face creamic seal and can leak and that should be visible.
    Loss of water , another culprit is the heater and leaks out underneath the car.

I will be interested to know how you get on

Graeme

24. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Marc,
    almost as rare as a Khamsin.....!

Ciao!
    Walter

25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Ah if you put it like that I can't argue;-)