Old School Skateboard Collecting | FerrariChat

Old School Skateboard Collecting

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ag512bbi, Aug 11, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    #1 ag512bbi, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Anyone here collect old school skateboard decks? I have been for the last year or so. Most are Reissues. Have a few originals. But the price difference is $65.00ish for reissues and $300.00++++++ for originals. I prefer the Powell Peralta, Santa Cruz and Alva brands. any other collectors? Here are some of my boards. Ill post a few more pics. when I have time (or if anyone else is interested)?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #2 rob lay, Aug 11, 2010
    that's cool, although skateboarding was the BIG thing in my adolescence, I did the lesser travelled freestyling/flatlander path. Not even sure if in Top 10 of my collecting interests, but here is a 1987 Haro Team Master frame I bought. Been trying to buy all original parts to build it out, but that's tough.

3. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #3 SDChris, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
    Awesome topic...I used to have that Cab, in XT (the mini, Bats and Bones deck in the second pic) I sold it on Ebay a few years back to a guy on the east coast...I have been skating since 1985... Rob, I used to flat land as well..back in the Eddie Fiola days..I got subcribtion to Freestylin mag..and saw Jeff Phillips, Mark Gonzales and Mike Vallaly and my biking days ware over!! :)

4. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I've thought about starting a collection of them, but haven't began because I know it isn't a matter of just buying a few for me... I may be a bit obsessive! It is nice to see those old school boards, and funny to think how many I had/broke. I still have a Kaupas and an early Hawk board kicking around though.

5. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I wish I still had a Natas... Speaking of SMA, ;) and not go off topic, but has anyone seen The man Souled the World? Steve Rocco and SMA/World Industries, with Santa Monica Airlines (Jim Thiebold), Powell, Vision...and the list gose on. If you have not seen it check it out!!

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    VERY Nice!

Had 4 skateboards - skee skate [steel wheels] - don't remember - [clay wheels] - mako [cheapy urethane] - Sims Brit [urethane]

I bought & sold quite a few old longboards before *everybody* figured it out. Surfed most - Heaviest were a *****, but - oh - CADILLAC smoooooth.

7. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Yeah, but the difference between you guys and I is: I sucked at Skateboarding!!!!! I just think its a cool collection to have. The alva in the 1st. pic. was my original board back in the '80's. Someone stole my Steve Olson Santa Cruz back then and I replaced it with that Alva. If I only had that board still, it would be worth probably $700-$800!

8. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Pretty cool stuff, I used to have one of those Santa Cruz ones when I was a kid.

It's also neat seeing the different Duane Peters boards... his band and my brother's band play shows together pretty often. I knew he was a pro skate boarder but didn't know he had so many of his own boards back in the day.

9. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    very cool thread Armen !

10. MurcieMurcie

MurcieMurcie F1 Rookie

Jan 31, 2004
    I have a G&S Neil Blender around somewhere, the one with the rattlesnake....Was pretty sick even back in the day.

11. mycarsux

mycarsux Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Wylie
    #11 mycarsux, Aug 11, 2010
    I always thought the late 80's Powell Peralta decks had the best graphics. I wish I still had my old Tony Hawk deck. I loved it.

12. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    #12 BubblesQuah, Aug 11, 2010
    How old is that stuff? Old enough to be "old school"? :D

In an offsite storage room I have my Logan Earth Ski with Bennett trucks and Road Rider wheels. I also have a set of Trakker trucks w/Road Rider 6's I think. I'll have to snap some pictures.

I can't remember exactly, but I think those would be from around '77 or '78.

Oh, and I think I still have my first skateboard - a blue Bahne fiberglass.

Here is a pic of Road Rider 4's - I probably had 5 or 6 sets of these. :D

13. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This is my first pro deck, same color, I had white tracker trucks with rat bones...and pink grip tape..with Bonite!!!!:)

14. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Seems like you should be able to find most things on ebay. I have sold most of my old BMX parts on there over the years.

15. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    That's the HOTTEST board out there now! It's bringing CRAZY $$$$. Do you own that or is that a random file photo?

16. mycarsux

mycarsux Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Wylie
    That's just one I pulled off of google images, but mine was that exact color. With pink grip tape! I've seen what the originals have gone for and it's insane. I thought that was the best looking deck at that time. Brings back memories.

17. spdrcr

spdrcr Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #17 spdrcr, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
    Nice collection there. I've picked up a few old Powell boards - a silver Lance Mountain reissue, a baby blue Caballero reissue, an original silver Caballero, an original white Per Welinder, and an original transparent green McGill. I have them haning in my office at home. I'd still like to pick up a Tony Hawk bird skull but as you mentioned they tend to pull some crazy money and I don't want one that bad.

Is that Per Welinder you have a reissue? Looks like it has the new sticker on it. If so, I need to pick one of those up too.

18. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    #18 ag512bbi, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
    Yes, You got to get one of those Reissue Per Welinder boards. They only made 600. They are already sold out. I know a Local place that has one. Its called Atticskateshop.com I think it's like $110. It's worth it. Get it FAST there all gone. Talk to Brett, Let him know u talked to me. I just got an original Per Welinder on eBay. It's the silver. It is used and in OK shape. Funny you mentioned, I ordered the baby blue Cab. today. I hope they still have it in stock. Stores advertise on there web-site. You order online and a few days later they email you and say there sold out! It happens ALL THE TIME!!!!! I'm trying to buy a blk/wht Powell Peralta Ripper or the Christmas one. Man there are so many i'm trying to buy. There is a white Per Welinder (original) on eBay right now. I'm interested in seeing what that goes for?????

19. spdrcr

spdrcr Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I gave Brett a call. Really cool guy. Unfortunately he already sold the Welinder. Oh well. There are a couple on eBay @ $180, but I'm not going to pay that much for the reissue. I'll stick with the NOS one I have for now. Thanks for the tip though.

20. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I grew up in San Francisco in the 60s. My 1st skate board was a varnished piece of plywood with some high class urethane wheels. Rode like a rocket in a straight line down Kamikaze hills over driveways surfer style. It was a blast!

21. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    #21 ag512bbi, Aug 13, 2010
  22. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    So has Powell re-issued all of there decks from the 80's early 90's, like that Ray Underhil?

23. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    That is a Re-issue (the Underhill). I don't know about ALL there boards but every couple of months, they release a new one. I ordered a few more today. A steve Saiz Totum and something else... I forgot at this moment. I'd love to get some Alva Dave Duncans and Alva John Gibsons. I think im just sticking with the big 3: Santa Cruz, Powell Peralta and Alva.

24. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Right on..I was in contest in 1987 (?) at a local skate shop in St.Louis, in fact a young Steve Berra won that contest..anyway.. steve Saiz was there with powell when they had there fold up trailer ramp, at that time he was not yet pro and I got a Powell newsletter signed by him :)...I wonder if H-Street is doing any re-issues...