Recall on all 458 | FerrariChat

Recall on all 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Superquant, Aug 31, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Superquant

Superquant Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    #1 Superquant, Aug 31, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
    My dealer just informed me that as of 1 minute ago he learned that Ferrari has issued a recall on ALL 458 due to the fire situation.

Ferrari has determined the cause of the 458's that have caught on fire was from an adhesive that attached the heat shield under the rear fenders.
    The heat shields were attached with an adhesive and became flammable under high temps. The new shield will be attached rivets, not any type
    of adhesive. Every 458 produced will get this new part so call your dealer now and set up your appointment which of course is free of charge.

Ferrari is not taking any chances and will replace this part on every 458 italia produced to date. Kudos to Ferrari for discovering this issue as
    this couldn't have been any easy find. Look for an official announcement from Ferrari within the next hour.

2. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Wait for the merge!

3. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Yep, I just got the information a couple of minutes ago. Ferrari Press Release tomorrow.

4. psp1000

psp1000 Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2010
    Is Singapore 458 recall too?

5. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Great news that Ferrari has pinpointed the problem! Sounds like a fairly easy fix too.

6. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Wow, all the specualtion as to casuses were completely off! I'm happy for all 458 owners and future owner who can now rest at ease.

Dave

7. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    I wouldn't be so sure on that one...

Don't you have to get at both ends of a rivet to fasten it? Might be a time consuming fix depending on what techs have to remove to get at this heat shield.

There is a reason Ferrari spec'd adhesive instead of rivets the first time...

8. Jati

Jati Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
    Florida & NC
    Full Name:
    Joe G.
    After examining the enormous amount of putty used in the front fender wells and beneath the car (my car bottom has stalactites). Perhaps the entire 458 is stuck together with flammable goo. :(

J

9. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Sounds like a Revell model kit I might have built in my youth...

10. Buggin

Buggin Karting

Dec 8, 2006
    Farmersville, TX
    Full Name:
    die langsame
    I thought most of the composites were bonded with adhesive? Even on the Enzo, and Scud.

Glad to see that they found the root cause before some one was hurt, from what I have seen, all the ones that have burnt, did so with the driver watching, not participating.

The rivet fix seems simple, and it should be.

I do not imagine they will be using actual rivets, that will require an anvil, and access to tight spots. I imagine that those who inspect their newly configured Italia's will find aircraft grade pop rivets on the heat shield.

11. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    Speculation that its's apparently a batch of incorrectly mixed epoxy resin, too much of one compound and not enough of the other or something that lowers the flashpoint . Cannot pinpoint all the affected cars so changing all globally.

Sending my car in tomorrow. :(

12. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Have you posted pics of your car yet Lung? :):)

I would love to see it mate. :D:D

I hope they get your car sorted my friend. :):)

13. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Just a thought as I read about the cause of the recent 458 Italia fires. Do many owners drive their cars harder than the factory test drivers? Wouldn't this issue have shown up in all the test miles that Ferrari subjects their cars to? Just doesn't add up that this wouldn't have happened on a pre-production test car.

Anyways, if owners are put at ease by this, then I guess problem solved.

14. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    Thanks... will be up soon.
    Sending my car in tom am...when its cooler :D

15. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Cheers mate! :D:D

16. dipstick1

dipstick1 Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter Lombardo
    I did the Ferrari driving experience in July at Mont-Tremblant , and the 458's never got a rest, they were run hard and for longs periods of time. No fires while I was there for the two day's.

17. Superquant

Apr 27, 2009
    It is likely an issue affecting a small number of cars, as described by prior poster perhaps a bad batch of adhesive. Certainly they would not have used an adhesive that is not heat resistant, and again if it were every car then there would have been a lot more fires (and discovered in testing too).

So unfortunately needs to be changed on all cars to be safe. Now I'm wondering if I should drive my car at all or wait for the repair kit to arrive to dealer. Dealer said Ferrari is paying for flatbed service as well and best be on the safe side and wait .. lame! Especially with the long weekend here in the US approaching and guests coming that wanted to see the car!

18. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Let's hope this takes care of the problem.

19. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    Some have speculated on the breather valve? is this no longer the case or is a separate issue? tks

20. Superquant

Apr 27, 2009
    The breather valve is unrelated and is just a normal upgrade campaign, per Ferrari's information on the recall.

21. psp1000

psp1000 Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2010
    Cheers up man, it better to send it in for a change damn something happen later.

When your car back to you, it will be in great condition plus safer to drive :)

22. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Sounds odd that they would use an adhesive to mount a heat shield.

23. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    The fundamental problem is trapped heat in the engine bay, Ferrari designed the car for aerodynamics so any air going into the car will force the car downward, hence they forgot about the heat the engine produces as there is no venting for the heat out of the engine bay. In my opinion they should add some type of venting by the exhaust system so hot air can escape.

24. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Ferrari North Europe has officially explained the fault that has caused five of the very earliest examples of its 458 supercar to catch fire.

"When the car is driven to high exhaust temperatures, in hot ambient temperatures, the adhesive used in the wheelarch assemblies can overheat and allow the rear wheel housing heat shields to move around. In extreme cases, the glue can begin to smoke and even catch fire," a Ferrari spokesperson told Autocar.

"It would only be a problem on cars driven very hard, and has only affected a handful of the 1248 458 Italias we've delivered so far – none in the UK,” our source confirmed.
    Ferrari claims that the problem has been made to look more serious than it should because of unfortunate timing and innaccurate reporting. A new 458 was written off because of a warehouse fire recently, and others have been crashed, the firm says, causing some areas of the media to suggest the car is 'jinxed'.

Ferrari will recall all of the 458s delivered so far to fit new wheelarch liners, which will be attached more securely. It will also be replacing any cars that have been damaged as a result of the problem. All new 458s built now that Ferrari’s Maranello plant has re-opened after the summer shutdown will be rectified before they leave the factory.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/252519/