Front licence plates.... | FerrariChat

Front licence plates....

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by absent, Oct 6, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Picked up a new ML from Knauz yesterday for my Dad and GM said that supposedly in January the law requiring front plates will be revoked.
    Anyone else heard about it?

2. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    #2 badges2, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  3. SKNKWRX

SKNKWRX Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2009
    This would be good news only my 4Runnner has a front plate and my R gets whacked for this usually when parked on city streets.

4. TwinOne

TwinOne Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    Mizar V
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Given the propensity for the group running Illinois to tax everything, I'm surprised no one has proposed an additional fee for displaying only one plate! Oops, did I say that out loud ;)

5. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Now THAT would already be a done deal!! Are you running for office?! :)

6. Michael RPM

Michael RPM Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2002
    Oak Brook, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael Wogronic
  7. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Add the parking garge at O'hare to your list of places to display a front plate.

8. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I, have never had a front plate on the old 365. Never been asked about it, never been ticketed. It must be youse guys hooligan demeanor.... LOL!

9. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    What I do when I park at O'hare is take the front plate and put it on the dash. So far it has stopped getting tickets for no front plate....

10. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    It'll save the state 1MM per year but lose Chicago alone 5MM :)

11. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Ditto, I've been stopped once in over 40 yrs of owning special cars with no front plate.

A State Trooper pulled me over on 53 a couple of years ago and said it was a pet-peeve of his, but he only gave me a warning!

As Buttcrack said, "It must be youse guys hooligan demeanor.... "!!!! LOL

Sparky

12. blabardi

blabardi Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Downers Grove, IL
    I wonder if Bill has antique plates which I believe are exempt from the front plate requirments? Or maybe you guys are hooligans. I also have never had a front plate on my fun cars since I always found myself unwilling to drill holes into an expensive bumper to mount a plate. Only been stopped once for that by the State Polce coming out of the cirt on 290 and received a warning.

13. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Welcome back Skippity!

We missed you.

14. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Hopefully it passes so my Sgt. gets off my butt for not having one!! ;)......and no, I never even stop people for it! LOL

15. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Thanks Andreas, I had a great vacation!

16. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    But you're a good cop! There are those that want to be nitpicky and stop everyone for every violation of the law, whether it's a danger to other drivers or not.

The nitpickers must be very busy stopping most Corvettes for no front plate, while they should be fighting crime instead!

I wish all police officers could be like you! :)

17. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Well, Had the car out on Friday, driving home from work and WHALA! Pulled over for the first time in 7 years of owning the 328. For NO Front Plate! Unreal! Was on North Av. in Stone Park. You ask where is Stone Park, well, i think it's about 2 blocks long and they have about 5 police officers total. I was in bumper to bumper traffic and there go the lights behind me, i had a feeling it was either a young officer wanting to see the car or the front plate or too noisy... I had the plate with me, but that didn't matter, i was getting the ticket. I even asked the officer, there is NO place for the plate on the front of the car, it's all grill. He didn't care, it's the LAW. I said what about if i put it on the front dashboard? He said NOPE, that won't do it...

So, i am in the process of making something custom to hold a plate on the front of my car and trash it all up...... Nice friken law Illinois... Thank you very much... Here is my donation to the city of Stone Park....

18. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    PM Gerry328. He has a special front license plate holder that attaches to the grille without making changes to your 328.

19. SKNKWRX

SKNKWRX Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2009
    Real cops never hassel the me about it in the Gallardo, but park on the street in the city and the meter jackwads will nail you everytime.

20. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    Here is the info on the plate bracket: http://chairpilotproducts.com/

I ordered one after seeing Gerry's. I'm sure some will be happy I won't have zip ties holding the front plate on anymore. :)

21. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I use some duct tape every time i park it downtown as i got tired of getting $50 tickets in less than 5mns by those blood sucker.

It doesnt leave any marks on the bumper.

22. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    #22 Darolls, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
    I'd gladly pay the fine and continue on with no front plate. It's not a moving violation so it's not on your record.

Chances of you being stopped again are slim, unless you make a habit of driving through Stone Park. Most of their revenue comes from prostitution stings and no front plates! :rolleyes:

Stone Park is one of the poorest Chicago suburbs; they frown on anyone driving a car worth more than $500.00!!!

http://encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/1200.html

23. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm getting one just because I don't need to meet any more Woodridge police along side the road. They are usually good about things, but why give a police person the opportunity to stop you?

IMHO, the front plate clip is perfect as it stays on, doesn't cause overheating and comes right off for those car shows.

http://chairpilotproducts.com/

24. JR.

JR. Karting

May 12, 2006
    lake forest, IL
    #24 JR., Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010

we have 7 cars and i haven't used a front license plate for at least 20 years.

never had a problem. have been stopped for other reasons but the lack of a front plate has never been mentioned by the police officer.

even tho we visit chicago once a week, there was only one time, when one of the cars was parked on the street, did i receive a front plate violation. (i assume a meter reader wrote the ticket)

the funny thing is even when the chicago restaurant valet leaves the car out front, on the street, the missing front plate isn't a problem.

but it is probable cause to stop you.

if we lived IN the city it might be a different story.

25. SKNKWRX

SKNKWRX Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2009

I feel it is defiantely more likely in say Lakeview type areas to get them on the street, downtown maybe if you overnight it on the street.