Top Gear U.S. Series! | FerrariChat

Top Gear U.S. Series!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by mertini86, Nov 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mertini86

mertini86 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    Brussels / Istanbul
    Full Name:
    Mert Candarli
    #1 mertini86, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. jasonporsche

jasonporsche Karting

May 7, 2007
    auburn, al
    Full Name:
    jason gautney
    I think it will be ok. It will never be as good as the original real Top Gear. Almost like comparing an original Ferrari to a Toyota Kit Car in my opinion.

3. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #3 FarmerDave, Nov 8, 2010
    Sorry for the blurry picture. This billboard in LA shows the cast members in a car we should all recognize.

I will never, ever watch this show.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Youngest_Ferrari_Lover_HI

BANNED

Nov 5, 2010
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Josh
    to be honest its not going to be the same without british accents, but to be able to see all the top amazng cars in the world witout watching the old top gear on youtube then im happy

5. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    I'm going to give it a chance. It's not like the UK Top Gear is going off the air. This is just a bonus :)

6. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    I'm looking forward to seeing reviews without an automatic clarkson/may/hammond bias. I'm also hoping they do the season 1-3 formula than the formula of ridiculous and pointless competitions they've been doing for years. What does it matter if a man can go mountain biking down a hill faster or slower than some car?

7. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    Simple because Tanner Faust is in it, I imagine it will be bland, dry, and poorly timed.

8. wendys is good

wendys is good Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2005
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Theres now way that it will be better than the UK version, but Ill watch it because it will be better than anyother motorshow we have here the US. I dont know why some people want it to fail, its not like its taking the UK version of the air, its just another option. At least it will be better than motorweek.

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree with these. We have basically nothing here in terms of automotive TV, Motorweak included, so why not.

10. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    #10 Formula 1, Nov 8, 2010
  11. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
  12. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Sux on your momma maybe! Why the hate? He may not be the best host but the man can DRIVE. Who would your rather have, Jay Leno? Tim Allen? Some other big name who can get a few yuks but can't hold a drift through a single corner?

13. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    Take it easy m5, nobody is hating here, all we are saying is that having to listen to him would just put us to sleep that's all.

Now perhaps if he put some of that championship winning emotion that he drives with into his communication skills then he wouldn't be such a bore.

14. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Adam Carolla would have been far better on the show. Listening to his podcast a week or so ago it was mentioned he is in negotiations to do a "Top Gear type of show" pilot again.

15. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    ahahahahaha!

16. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Drifting isn't driving, it's just figure skating with cars. Pointless in my opinion, and yes I wouldn't have a problem with Jay Leno, Tim Allen, and Jerry Seinfeld as the three hosts. All of which are big car guys and not afraid to give their opinion.

17. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I predict this show won't be around long. Maybe two seasons. Probably one.

18. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    #18 ProRallyCodriver, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
    Redline TV, Supercars Exposed, Battle of the Supercars ......Is there not anybody else in N. America that can host a show about cars? At least ACP (Andrew Comrie-Picard) is a genuine nice guy whereas Tanner is stuck-up flat-brimmer snob. I about puked watching the CL65 AMG Supercar Exposed episode where the entire show was about how much he could impress a girl. Many of the other episodes weren't much better. How many times can you watch him poorly act like the police were harassing him so that he could feed his ego?

If Tanner could drive that well, maybe he would have won a rally when he was trying. Tanner's old teammate Andrew Pinker knows cars old and new, was a better driver and has a personality.

I would have chosen Travis Pastrana before Nitro Circus kills him or Rhys Millen for the Kiwi accent but anybody BUT Tanner would be better.

19. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Yeah I'll echo what was said above. . . who cares if the guy can drive, it's about character and honest criticism, not driving skill. Would we want Kimi Raikkonen as a host because he can "hold a drift" or some BS?

I'd much rather have Adam Carolla, Leno, et al over a talented driver who has hosted a bunch of other dull shows.

Besides, the actual driving is for "the stig" or whatever we get here in the US, not one of the hosts. Anyone can powerslide a car around a big airstrip with a little practice.

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Two things bother me so far (albeit I'm only looking at the previews)

1) I have no idea why they picked this cast. Top gear is incredibily interesting because of the guys interacting with themselves and the cars. I don't get that at all with this cast.

2) Photography. Top gear has some outstanding photography and editing. So far, it looks like they got guys from the History Channel to do this. It's disappointing.

Then, there's this...

It's easy for the British to make fun of other countries cars and the jokes about the socieities that build them. They make fun of just about every country they drive through and of the cars they build. Top Gear is a show as much about cars as it is about the culture of cars.

Is the US team going to make fun of Arkansas or Ohio? Who cares.

21. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Sorry, I should be clear: I AM JOKING. Such drama over who is worthy of being a host and who is not. This is airing on the History Channel, not CBS, NBC or ABC prime time. If you don't like it, just turn it off. I, for one, am glad not to have to look at another faux reality production such as Set Up, Bull Run, Chop Cut Rebuild, etc.

22. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Should I know who this Tanner fellow is? Because I don't

23. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    Look at my OP :D

24. jssans

jssans Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Josh
    +1
    When you make jokes about other countries or ethnic people & your the greatest country in the world(USA) you look like arrogant a$sh0les. Top Gear UK has so much going for it.
    I also question the personalities & passion the USA cast has. I can say that about Tanner as I have seen him on TV many times. I'll pass judgement on the others after seeing the show.

25. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Consider yourself lucky.