Planes You would Avoid Flying? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Planes You would Avoid Flying?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by UroTrash, Nov 15, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    :D

I probably flew on a couple of those back in 90-91 when I lived in Turkey. Flew a lot of THY Ankara - Izmir - if I remember correctly you could sometimes see the Eastern logo showing through the crappy white paint. Flying those old things on THY back then was pretty scary. Now they have one of the newest fleets of any airline.

2. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Earlier this year flew with THY Istanbul to Chicago. A wonderful ride in business with the angled seats and a good entertainment system. Far better ride than Royal Jordanian Amman to Chicago although the club in Amman had some outstanding features.

Jeff

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #53 Spasso, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
    THY is in the process of taking delivery of 10 new 777-300ERs at the moment. The ride should get nicer.

4. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm trying to figure out if this video is evidence of something dumb or something competent.

Looks pretty darned hairy either way! In fact, it looks so completely frightening, I've been trying to figure out if this is a real video or special effects... the video is a little grainy.

All the best,
    Andrew.

5. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    I'm pretty sure that was "something competent".

Now, this is something similar - but dumb...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyw2vgJffqU

6. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #56 Spasso, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
    I've seen that video many times, There is nothing fake about it. Another example of a performance aircraft trying to land in a crosswind.
    The nose up angle is typical for a delta winged aircraft of that size at that speed. It's required to maintain lift at lower speeds. I watched the approach, landing and takeoff of this jet in Seattle. The nose was pitched high for a VERY long time after he left the area.

In this video he had the altitude and power when he decided to go-around. Those are military style after-burning engines by the way. Ear splitting when he firewalls them.

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  8. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Thats nuts.................there is no way in this world that anyone will ever convince me that you have as much control with that stupid joystick as you would with a big old fat yoke in both hands!!!

9. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Heck most of those things have been flying in 3rd world countries for decades that number does not surprise me, its not an indication of the quality of the design though.

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Which supports what Spasso hit on earlier: "MAINTENANCE"

Very true...we all know those countries simply don't have the resources to maintain the birds properly. I don't know about the quality of their pilots to comment on that. They might have some US pilots working extra out there for all I know...

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  12. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    One of the more common crosswind compilations on You Tube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X_7Xt2ga-s&feature=related

Some actual flight test footage of an early 777
    Ballsy KAL 747 side slipping/'S' turning into Kai Tak and almost banging #1 on the strip.
    Numerous small Airbus' in very strong winds.
    Some wild stuff.

I don't care how good you are,
    or how good you think you are,
    or how good your airplane is,
    or how smart you are,
    The weather CAN kick your ass and there is nothing you can do about it.

13. NV Stig

NV Stig Rookie

Apr 12, 2010
    Lake Tahoe, NV
    I'm preferential to the Boeing products in the commercial world as well. As far as a plane I wouldn't want to touch, I would have to go with a Mitsubishi MU-2. You lose an engine on those things near Vmc and you have a 98% chance of crashing.
    People that own them really love them, and joke that you just weren't ready for the engine failure, but that seems to be a really unhappy turboprop on on engine.

14. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    After what happened on that Quantas flight out of Singapore, I ain't getting on an Airbus A380.

They were milliseconds from disaster, and it's only a matter of time till they have one. And if it's packed, it's going to be one for the record books.

15. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    PM sent.

16. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
  17. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    #67 solofast, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
    It appears that there may be a defined life for aircraft after all, at least ones that are certified in the future. Here is a blurb from Aviation International News...

FAA Issues Final Transport-category Fatigue Rule
    Under new final rules issued by the FAA, all transport-category (Part 25) aircraft certified henceforth will have to meet requirements “to prevent catastrophic failure due to widespread fatigue damage throughout the operational life.” The rule also applies to existing Part 25 aircraft operated under Part 121 and 129 regulations with an mtow of more than 75,000 pounds. Manufacturers that certify new Part 25 airplanes will have to include a limit of validity (LOV) that accompanies engineering data used to support the structural maintenance program. Essentially, once an airplane reaches its LOV, it will no longer be able to fly because the LOV is a strict airworthiness limitation. However, the rule does allow any person, not just the manufacturer, to apply for an LOV extension based on maintenance actions that would be incorporated into the maintenance program. The new rule is limited to transport-category turbine-powered airplanes. One change that the FAA made in the final rule was to eliminate “the requirement to evaluate widespread fatigue damage associated with most repairs, alterations and modifications of the baseline airplane structure,” although a change prompted by an airworthiness directive will need to be considered.

What this doesn't appear to do is address all of the ancient hacks that are still flying and probably shouldn't be that are in airline service, but does smack down the ones that are flying Part 121 and 129.... My guess is that the next step will be to set a LOV life for the airline service aircraft. Then they will be able to force them out of service. The airframers would love this because it gets old airplanes (that they are legally liable for) out of the air and forces the airlines to buy new ones. Talk about enforced obsolescence....

18. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    +1 on that one..

As the old saying goes... "Ya can't fool Mutha Nature!"

19. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Not even the greatest aviator of the generation got away with it. T-storm 1, Crossfield 0.

20. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Think what this is going to do to residual value of the aircraft. Finite end dates will plummet the later year values. A lot less of the older airplanes will be headed for Africa and South America if this rule is implemented without further changes.

Jeff

21. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #71 Spasso, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
    (A little sideways from the subject)
    We have a AeroMexico DeHavilland Comet under restoration here where I work. As I understand it, this Comet was an earlier version that didn't have ALL of the structural upgrades that the last and best versions had. The FAA wouldn't allow this A/P to fly in the United States any longer so here it sits. It flew in and never flew out.

Restoration progress is encouraging with some of the interior now being installed.

(This effort is part of The Museum of Flight in Seattle).

22. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Might be based on cycle count, or a combination of cycle counts and time. Really hard to implement because some airplanes are well cared for and could fly for a long time, but others are crap in short order. Some are flying in the middle of the country and not seeing salt, and others are in the islands or on the coasts for their whole life. The FAA will find a way to be arbitrary and will ground a lot of good airplanes when other airplanes are just junk flying in formation.

Just remember the FAA's motto... "We're not happy until YOU'RE no happy"

23. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    I mostly fly on-boards Boeing 777, I love the Airbus A340-600 silence and I have superb memories of the L-1011. I avoid DC-10 and MD-11 as much as possible.

Most modern aircraft are incredibly safe, comfortable and more and more economical.

As many here said, avoid some airlines, not some airplanes.

24. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    "Nice landing. Going for the 3 wire, were you?" Early 737s flown in third world countries had a rash of gear failures until they figured out that the pilots were landing hard because the runways tended to be shorter and they were worried about overruns. So Boeing beefed them up and that was that.

25. Michiel

Michiel Formula 3

Apr 15, 2008
    Amsterdam, NL
    Full Name:
    Michiel
    The MD-11's will fly for KLM till 2015-2016. they will be replaced by A330-300's or eventually the 787 or A350 depending on when they are available.